A10C radio presets overwrite the Viper presets

Pikey

If you have A-10C presets in the same miz file as the Viper, then the Viper will always use the legacy A-10C folder and load its presets rather than it's own presets contained in the mission table in the miz.

Reproduction

1. Create a miz with a Viper at hot start. Setup radio presets to something obvious. In the contained mission I've used the ranges 130-135 and 300-305 for "at a glance" checking.

2. Play the mission and see that your presets are saved OK. You can also check in the mission table that the list of frequencies were the ones you set.

3. Exit the mission and create A-10C legacy presets using the "Prepare mission" method that A-10C's have to use to have presets. For the sake of ease, I've included a mission with the UHF presets set in the 200-205 range for visibility.

4. Load that new mission and look at the Viper presets which have now changed to 200-205.

Expected: The Vipers presets shoudl not be affected by an A-10C's

Actual: The A-10C presets overwrite the Vipers.

viperUHF1test.miz

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I feel that this is a pretty damaging bug, if I'm honest. As a wing that flies missions regularly containing both A-G and A-A flights, the fact that we can't have separate presets for each aircraft is very limiting indeed. Whilst I understand that legacy code exists, I'd like to think that newly created airframes with their own mechanism for storing presets (like in the mission file in the miz) wouldn't depend on the legacy methods for storing presets.

Can this be addressed, please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

In the change log for Open beta 2.7.4.9632, in the F-16 section it states:

• Additional fix for 'A-10C radio presets overwriting the F-16C preset'.

The F-16 presets are still being overwritten as Pikey has stated above.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

• ED Team

you will need to resave your mission, it will loose the A-10C prepared data and it will need to be redone in the mission. 

Currently the mission will check to see if you are using the old format, if so it will work as it always has but the viper will have issues. 

If you have redone the mission and are using the new format all will be changed and the new format will be used.

Basically we added a version checker so older missions would not break.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to A10C radio presets overwrite the Viper presets

Thanks for the clarification BN.

If i have this straight:

Using the new method you can preset the F-16 radios in the ME, but have to input the A-10 ones once the mission has started.

Using the old method you can preset the A-10 radios, but have to input the F-16 ones (overwritten) once the mission has started.

You can't have both preset before the mission has started, or am I missing something?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

• ED Team

Old missions if left un touched will continue to work for the A-10C, the prepare mission feature was only for the A-10C in the old days.  

with the new method you should be able to use prepare mission for the different aircraft, it is now stored specific to the aircraft, which also means prepare mission is valid for multiplayer missions.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I might be being obtuse, but I can´t get this to to work. I have a multiplayer mission ( that I´m testing locally) with a bunch of F16 presets as well as A10C II´s present, but no matter whether I save the mission, or use the prepare mission function within the editor, the presets in the F16 always appear to be overwritten.

What is the best way to convert an old mission?

8 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Old missions if left un touched will continue to work for the A-10C, the prepare mission feature was only for the A-10C in the old days.  

with the new method you should be able to use prepare mission for the different aircraft, it is now stored specific to the aircraft, which also means prepare mission is valid for multiplayer missions.

Can you please explain this new methodology? It's unclear from the posts above how to get it to work.

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, AlexCaboose said:

Can you please explain this new methodology? It's unclear from the posts above how to get it to work.

Prepare mission works as it always has done, you can click prepare mission in the editor, play the mission setup the radios and it will save it in the mission file, the only difference now is the data is stored for individual aircraft types. 

• ED Team
7 hours ago, Jestr said:

Does saving old missions not work? Does the mission have to be "made from scratch" so to speak?

Resaving should be possible, but you will need to redo the prepare mission again in the editor.

Re-saving and re running prepare mission appears to create the relevant files within the miz:

Avionics\F-16C_50\166\UHF_RADIO\SETTINGS.lua and Avionics\F-16C_50\166\VHF_RADIO\SETTINGS.lua

however changes made in the editor presets do not seem to propagate to these files.

Here is a link to a quick re-play if that helps.

All the F-16 have the same presets in the mission editor - case in point - UHF preset 2 should be 237.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pyeJRxrdALAOhqrvW7pmrDqv3ky1rjRY/view?usp=sharing

Any idea whats going on?

Ok, so I figured it out.

Have to use prepare-mission for each available F16 in the mission. This will generate Avionics\F-16C_50\166\UHF_RADIO\SETTINGS.lua and Avionics\F-16C_50\166\VHF_RADIO\SETTINGS.lua - 166 being the aircraft ID.

This is going to be fun for some 20-30 aircraft....

Is there any way to access said aircraft ID´s ? They are not shown in the ME...

Edited by Jestr

Ok so what I had to do was to grab the unitID´s from the ME then create a Avionics\F-16C_50\<unitID>\UHF_RADIO\SETTINGS.lua for each aircraft, then copy and paste a working SETTINGS.lua into each folder.

Abit tedious, but it works.

Manipulating the presets in the ME ( radio list for the F16) appears to do nothing - A10´s will still overwrite those apparantly.

Edited by Jestr