DCS: A-7E Corsair II by FlyingIron Simulations

fl0w

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What can I say Hoss? It's an addiction I've had for quite some time and I can't say that I even really want to kick it. I get such a warm glow from the thought of being in the SLUF cockpit while rolling into the groove, calling the ball and yelling to myself, "C'mon funny feeling!!!" 🤣

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is from their Discord channel about a week ago:

"Real talk though, we're back to 7 days a week on the A7 & I have made some nice breakthroughs with the code that I've been hung up on for awhile. Progress on the art has paused while our additional art contractor finishes up on another warbird of ours. He should be finished in a couple of weeks, at which point he'll be moved onto the A7 full time for a remodelling inside & out. We'll be sharing some images of the work he is doing for us soon - he works insanely fast and produces incredible results, so expect to see some nice A7 screenshots over the coming months Meanwhile I am splitting my time between improving drag modelling on our FM, capturing & integrating CFD data for gear + flaps & have now also started working on logic for the more complicated digital sensors & avionics Trying to squeeze in as much as I can for the writeup which I will be doing over the next few weeks"

Edited by Hawks5
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 4:21 PM, AG-51_Razor said:

What can I say Hoss? It's an addiction I've had for quite some time and I can't say that I even really want to kick it. I get such a warm glow from the thought of being in the SLUF cockpit while rolling into the groove, calling the ball and yelling to myself, "C'mon funny feeling!!!" 🤣

The F9F would be my favorite "funny" feeling ride.......... Essex, Corsair, Skyraider, we have the Saber, Mustang..... just need an F-80, F-84......... and the damn map to go with it.

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis

I couldn't possibly agree with you more Hoss but unfortunately, I have this thing about living in reality.......whenever possible, and pining away for an Essex class carrier deckload of mannly blue airplanes to go punish the North Korean communists is way out there in another space/time continuum compared to wishing to be in the cockpit of a module that has been announced as an official project. I'll grant you that I realize I may well be in that other space time continuum by the time this Corsair II arrives but when it comes to expending emotional energy on my wishes, I'll stick with the thing closest to reality. 🤣

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm trying to find information about wether the A-7E could fire Mavericks. I know there were some photos of A-7Es in desert storm with mavericks loaded but I'm not sure how they were actually controlled.

In the 7E cockpit the only larger screens are for the Radar and the Moving map, so it looks like there's physically no screen to display the Maverick camera on?

Unless it could only fire laser mavs that were designated by third parties - which doesn't seem right as you'd still need to know when the mav has laser track.

Anyone know for sure if Mavs could be fired? and if so, how were the controlled?

Not sure if the Mavs were ever certified and used on Navy A-7E's, but if they wanted to, one simple solution would be to make the radar screen compatible with it like on some export variants of the F-5E.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

On 10/11/2021 at 1:22 AM, AG-51_Razor said:

Seriously though, I'd sure like to know that Donny is OK. It's going on 2 months since we've heard from him and that's not like him at all. Just check in with a thumbs up is all Bud 👍

Don't worry, I am alive and well - thanks for your concern 😉

As mentioned above, we have an amazing artist who will be taking over the modelling of the A-7E soon. He has done some incredible work on the F6F (MSFS) for us, and he is insanely fast so expect to see some beautiful shots over the coming weeks & months. I will still be working on the A-7E, but primarily as the texture artist.

Dan, our programmer, has been making some fantastic progress on the systems & avionics. I'm sure he will be doing a detailed writeup on the progress in the next few weeks, but he shared this screenshot on discord:
"Hands up if you've played enough DCS to recognize this location from the radar image alone 🙌 👀"

unknown.png

Regarding the maverick screen - I believe the radar screen was used, but I'll have to double check with our SME's on that one 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 10/16/2021 at 1:25 AM, FIS-Donny said:

"Hands up if you've played enough DCS to recognize this location from the radar image alone 🙌 👀"

Spoiler

unknown.png

I might digress, but this rdlaugh.png

Anyway, at this point, that place should be a massively huge crater to be anywhere near realistic, since literally everyone in DCS has thrown at least a gazillion of explosives on it dealwithit.png

• Like 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

As I've mentioned there is A-7 group on facebook really active all the time with former ground crew, pilots and fans.
I can recall post I read about a portuguese A-7 Corsair II pilot (A frames with E avionics) that they used to "target" car windows on the highway with the SIM maverick. 

95220239_3027905197253087_3361120498225250304_n.jpg

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

52 minutes ago, MikeNolan said:

Hey Guys,

Dan here from FlyingIron - you can read our latest development update here

Questions, comments & feedback are welcome 🙂

Thanks!

Very impressive work!
You guys might be new to DCS development, but it is evident from your dev report, that it's not the first time you're developing an aircraft for a flight sim and that you know what you're doing :thumbup:

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm looking forward to this one: we need more '70s era full-fidelity aircraft in DCS! 🥳

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

With all the bells and whistles they talk about this is anything but a 70's era aircraft, more late 80's and 90's I guess. Anyhow, I'm all the way in for this aircraft.

Great update mates!!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice