DCS: A-7E Corsair II by FlyingIron Simulations

fl0w

Hi everyone, my name is Razor and I am an adict. I am hoplessly strung out on the mere fantasy that a full fidelity module of the A-7 Corsair II will be coming out sometime in my lifetime. I have a fairly reliable pusher named Donny that comes around my neighborhood about every month or so and gives me a little fix of the SLUF to keep me going and help me get rid of the sweats and shakes. Unfortunately, Donny seems to have moved on and his visits are becoming more and more unpredictable. That's why I am here today. I feel like it's time to begin to at least try to kick this terrible dependance on the SLUF. I know, deep down in my heart of hearts, that it won't do anything for my addiction in the long run. As soon as the A-7 is delivered and the feeling of euphoria has subsided, Donny will just start teasing us addicts with WIP screens of something else, like maybe an AD Skyraider or, GOD forbid, an F9F Panther. It never ends and these pushers know exactly how to keep us on the hook with our wallets in hand, just dying to throw money at them!! Just remember the famous line from Steppenwolf's The Pusher, "GOD D@&M the pusher man!!"

• Like 9

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, WinterH said:

A-7 was more or less the first bird with what we consider a proper HUD nowadays, and it already had that HUD Vietnam era as far as I recall.

Pretty much, yeah. Though it only really came alive in it's second iteration, when the USAF had to buy it and wanted some significant changes (e.g. HUD, M61 gun and the TF41 engine*), resulting in the D model. The Navy liked those changes so much that they procured their own model of the result, the C and E**, which were different in details (e.g. refuelling probe and slightly more internal gas).

The A-7 was a VERY capable airplane in it's day and many folks are very much decieved by it's looks and subsonic-only performance.

___

* developed from the quite successful RR Spey

** The C is essentially an E with the old TF30 motor of the A and B.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 2 weeks later...

@FIS-Donny:  Please gives us our monthly dose of "W.I.P." info and screens on the A-7E Corsair please? 🤩😛

• Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

@AG-51_RazorYou never fail to make me cackle!

I don't have much for you at the moment unfortunately guys, it's been a bit of a slow month+ thanks to Covid, and I've been working on the less exciting parts (optimization, animating, fixing inaccuracies and missing parts). Once the animations are done, I can unwrap the UVs, bake the high poly to the low poly, then texture the cockpit.

That being said, here is a pretty render to keep you guys going a little longer 😉

tbrender_Viewport_008.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Mig Fulcrum said:

Only dumb bombs and rockets or maybe some paveway, walleye and TGP?

I don't know if Flying Iron yet shared that info, I don't remember it being the case thus far. However, if we go by what was available on A-7Es at various points in time, at least a Walleye II is a given. I think some interesting delivery modes for dumb bombs and rockets too. I think depending on the exact timeframe of the variant, either AGM-45 or AGM-88 will be an option, perhaps even both.

As for the targeting pods, A-7 never had one in US service AFAIK. Maybe later upgraded Greek A-7Hs had them don't know. There is a FLIR pod indeed, but with emphasis on on Forward Looking part of FLIR 🙂 it is for navigation at night AFAIK and doesn't have any targeting/lasing capability if I'm correct.

So if Paveways are a thing, they'll need to be lased from someone else.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 2 weeks later...

"Yeehaw, back to working on weapons & sensors 🤠 Pictured: Targeting with the velocity vector"

A7_Visual_Attack_VV_Targetting_Test.gif

"So for you guys wondering the A7 has a few different targeting options:

1. NORM ATTACK mode - Visual aiming on the HUD via the velocity vector (shown above) or by slewing the aiming cursor and designating. Leads to a CCRP drop. Allows for precise targeting during ingress with only a visual
2. BOC (Bomb on Coordinates) mode - as it sounds; leads to CCRP drop
3. CCIP
4. Radar bombing - similar to norm attack, but targeting with the AG Radar

All modes except CCIP can also be used in offset mode. Offset mode is used when the target is obscured or more easily located by reference a nearby landmark; it will aim weapons at a chosen offset from the current target. 
The large amount of targeting options, when combined with the various release parameters (salvo modes, interval drops etc) gives the pilot a a great arsenal to deal with almost anything on the ground. You have limited guided weapon options though, so being a successful A7 pilot will depend largely on mission planning & pilot skill"

- A post from @MikeNolan on our Discord channel.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team
2 minutes ago, Jef Costello said:

Hello FlyingIron Simulations!

Why don't you have an official topic in "Licensed Third Party Projects"? It could really be easier to follow this awesome project there, instead in, curiously, "chit chat"!

As soon as a third party feels they are ready for a forum section we will be happy to create one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 year later...