Intel or AMD config for DCS

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to have a new PC and until now I thought I would go for an Intel i7-9700k because in the last 8 years I had an i7-2600k and after a GPU upgrade I am still able to play DCS on high settings (not 4k...I don't have 4k monitor). Lately I have bought a Pimax 5k and this is not enough anymore. I have 20FPS sometimes 30ish. This is not enough!:)

So I was looking at the CPU's and I have seen that the AMD nowdays is really good so I thought I could afford a Ryzen 7 3800X. Since DCS will probably have the Vulkan api I thought this would work better with AMD CPU's.

So I am not sure what to choose. I really trust in Intel because I have this PC for 8 years and it still good enough for me (OK after an upgrade to a 1080 Ti) for every game I play on high settings but the AMD sounds the better one today.

I would appreciate any expert suggestion.

Thanks!

Being a complete non-expert, allow me to share my suggestions. wink.gif

After watching 101 comparison videos, it looks like the 3800X gives you about 3% better performance over the 3700X. In Canada, the 3800X is $50 more than the 3700X. It's up to you if 3% is worth the $50. I would rather have the 3800X, simply because.... but I'm not paying the extra $50 for it.

I'm going AMD when I upgrade my CPU (soon?), but it will be a 3700X. I just hope it goes on sale at one point.

That said, if you watch the comparison videos, the difference between the 3700X and the 3600X ($140 cheaper) or the 3600 ($160 cheaper) is often very small. But with FS2020 coming out, I wouldn't mind the extra cores as it's rumoured it might use them.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Yean AMD is the most economic effective CPU as you can get more cores for the money, and with those savings get the biggest GPU you can afford. The only downside to AMD is if your accustomed to tweaking and optimized intel systems for that many years you'll have to re-learn alot of things on the AMD side.

make sure you get a qualified memory kit for your motherboard and you should be fine (essential to avoid trouble).

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Oh, as for Intel.

I would have no problem going with Intel if their prices dropped. As it stands, I wouldn't touch Intel unless I was rich and could get a 9900K and some fancy water cooling.

But I'm not rich.

its going to get worse for intel in the upcoming 10th generation which is a few weeks away at most (some stores already have price lists online).

You'll get similar performance but its going to cost even more than 9th gen and since they are trying to cram more cores on the same old manufacturing technology expect extremely high end cooling solutions to be a must.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

You're right. And I just looked at your specs and I'd grab a 3900X before a 9900K. I like that AMD seems to be putting in the effort and offering some good options at a decent price. The 3600, if it's on sale, looks like the killer bargain. 6/12 for maybe $200Cdn. That's pretty sweet. And in a lot of games the difference between a 3600 (not X) and a 3700X is, as stated, small. That frees up $200 with the 3600 over the 3700X. No small thing.

For the OP, here's a good video on the 3700X vs. the 3800X:

You're right. And I just looked at your specs and I'd grab a 3900X before a 9900K. I like that AMD seems to be putting in the effort and offering some good options at a decent price. The 3600, if it's on sale, looks like the killer bargain. 6/12 for maybe $200Cdn. That's pretty sweet. And in a lot of games the difference between a 3600 (not X) and a 3700X is, as stated, small. That frees up $200 with the 3600 over the 3700X. No small thing.

For the OP, here's a good video on the 3700X vs. the 3800X:

Hmm, I have checked this video and I saw that usually on the top of the list is the i9-9900k and around 3rd place is the i7-9700k......the AMD 3800X is somewhere on the top of the middle range. Price difference is around +50 EUR for the i7 but the motherboard is a bit cheaper for that so regarding price there is not really a difference.

The question is that DCS would run better on AMD after the Vulkan api or it doesn't matter? My main question is not the 3700X or 3800X. It's i7-9700k or AMD 3800X?

If you are going AMD I'd go for the 3900X which is the closest match to the 9700K in gaming performance. The 9700K is less expensive though.

Unfortunately, no one benchmarks DCS comparing the two. So which will perform better is speculation. You'll need to ignore armchair engineers on this issue. It's mostly people who have a bias toward one or the other and throw around marketing buzzwords like 7nm.

Here are some objective benchmarks that compare the performance on other games. Generally speaking Intel performs better on games, while AMD performs better on editing/rendering software. The extra cores and multithreading capabilities of our CPUs aren't really used by DCS or most games. Gamer's Nexus tests games with multithreading off on CPUs and they perform better in games. DCS is constrained by single core performance, only uses 3 cores, and does not use multithreading. I keep Hyperthreading off on my CPU for better overclocking.

(Gamer's Nexus 3900x benchmarks relative to other CPUs)

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-cpu-for-gaming/

The question is that DCS would run better on AMD after the Vulkan api or it doesn't matter?...

Nobody on this forum can answer that. We'll have to wait till the new graphics engine and Vulkan build are actually out. By then new processors will be out to choose from.

I would consider AMD over Intel and I would still buy the fastest clocks I can afford. Game reviews dont test DCS and DCS needs high clocks, so depending on your GPU and resolution, it may or may not matter if your stock clocked Ryzen can deliver more fps ( than your GPU can work with ).

The other reason why I would consider Ryzen 3000 over Intel is the chipset. Dedicated Lanes for NVMe and twice the throughput between CPU and PCH, in case you add a 2nd or 3rd NVMe or other PCIe cards.

I

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If you want to overclock your CPU the 3800 is maybe worth the extra money. 3800 silicon is a bit better. With a bit of undervolt and a good cooling you can overclock the 3800 maybe better than the 3700.

If you dont want to OC take the 3700 and enable PBO. Done!

Intel I would avoid at the moment due to power consumption under OC and security flaws.

I dont think you can go wrong with either red or blue at the higher end. The experience in dcs - given similar hardware save for the cpu - will be indistinguishable from each other. If you like to stare at a fps counter you will see slight differences, but nothing drastically different. If your building now, I dont see an argument not to go with the ryzen 3000 series. If you want to go intel, I'd just wait for their 10th gen chips to drop which should be not too far off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Synthetics or not, AMD is compelling.

How many cores do you need? Pick the most cores with the most single core performance you think is worth the money.

Over clock adds a wrinkle - but it has potential to cause issues for little real improvement (percent-gain-wise).

Dont' worry about Vulkan and number of cores - sounds like the ED CTO is saying that is a far ways off. We'll be into another generation or three of CPU by then.

$0.02

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Synthetics or not, AMD is compelling.

How many cores do you need? Pick the most cores with the most single core performance you think is worth the money.

Over clock adds a wrinkle - but it has potential to cause issues for little real improvement (percent-gain-wise).

Dont' worry about Vulkan and number of cores - sounds like the ED CTO is saying that is a far ways off. We'll be into another generation or three of CPU by then.

$0.02

Sadly , you're prolly right about that last .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

NEED HELP WITH NEW BUILD

Hello all.

I am new to this and need a little help.

I want to build a new, dedicated puter to ONLY play flight sims.

I am a commercial-ME pilot in real life and want to fly in these new applications.

Here is my question: I have 4 grand to build a new system with VR. I can do the work myself. I may even be able to get another grand to work with.

If you had it, what would you build? Please give me ALL responses.

If I did not build, where is the best place to purchase online a new, VR ready puter.

My second question is: I live in the country in N. Michigan. Since DCS does not sell CD's and our internet is so so. What would be the best way to install DCS?

Thank you all very much. I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Maddog69

...Here is my question: I have 4 grand to build a new system with VR. I can do the work myself. I may even be able to get another grand to work with...

First off, best to start a new thread rather than piggy back on this one, but no worries.

To answer your question you can build an Intel 9900K/Nvidia 2080 Ti with custom cooling for <$3000. Save the rest for VR and peripherals like HOTAS and pedals.

There's a site called PCPartpicker.com that's the best resource for checking compatibility and prices.

If I did not build, where is the best place to purchase online a new, VR ready puter.

Cyberpower and IBUYPOWER. There are more boutique brands but they are overpriced for what you get if you are willing to put a weekend in watching videos and reading manuals. Building a PC is pretty easy if you are technically inclined and there are vast resources at your fingertips today. It's also very satisfying turning it on and booting it up for the first time. Never gets old for me and I've been building PCs for years.

My second question is: I live in the country in N. Michigan. Since DCS does not sell CD's and our internet is so so. What would be the best way to install DCS?

That's a tougher one, I would look at some of the new satellite constellations that are going up for a long term solution.

Here in the next few months Intel is supposed to be releasing a new gen of CPUs that should be faster for approximately the same price but we will have to wait for benchmarks to be sure.

I would NOT buy any GPU right now as both Teams, AMD & Nvidia, are about to release their new chips soon ( 2-3 month ).

Putting that aside, I would in general invest in a Desktop PC with a decent board 250-350€, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz-3600MHz with a low latency,

1 or 2 NVMe drives, if you plan on other sims and games as well, get a 512GB for the OS and a 1-2TB NVMe for those sims, maybe add a 6TB drive for automated Backups of your system.

Get a decent 1.Tier PSU with no less than 750w and Platinum efficiency, Seasonic Prime Ultra was my pick here.

Hotas, well, that depends. there is Thrustmaster, Vpril and a few others. Rudders as well from a few vendors. Those 3 devices can easily be ~1 Grand alone if you pick good ones.

For Cooling I would go with an AIO Watercooling solution with either a 280 ( 2x140mm ) or a 360 ( 3x 120mm ) radiator/fan combo. I think I would pick Corsair if I went AIO but I run a DIY loop anyway.

That much to general stuff.

For a CPU, I would pick a AMD 3900x12c/24t in your case coupled with a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Board. I have done the Ultra model last month and I really liked it, my friend who runs it loves it too.

For installing DCS...visit a friend with a BIG pipe to the internet and DL the sim there. If you buy into most/all maps and many modules this will take many many hours if not days to dl on a small bandwidth connection. You can ask a friend to DL it, pack it on a USB drive and send it over if that is doable. That will work too. You can copy/paste DCS pretty straight forward.

my 0.02$

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

When you say your internet is "so so" what do you mean?

FWIW I'm way out in the country with a wifi connection (10 MB/s) and have downloaded all the terrains and 8-9 aircraft. It took several days but worked fine. Dont download via torrent. Press cancel as shown in the download dialog and the download will resume via http. This will save your datacap also if you have one.

HTH

I agree with the reco to wait for the next wave of GPUs. Buying a 2080Ti today means getting gouged. If NVIDIA offers the new boards at the same price structure as the old ones I will be buying a AMD 5950XT or whatever they brand it as when released.

Maybe try some other sims in the short term if you have some hardware already or buy some used equipment in the short term (no vr).

DCS really kicks the crap out of hardware.

FWIW I have an old i7-3770k at 4.7 GHz and RX 580 overclocked to the edge of bleeding. DCS @ 1440p with lots turned on in single player just flying around (warbirds or jets) is 30-60 fps depending on ground proximity. The same rig running Asetto Corsa at max everything at 4k is 60-90 fps. If you are looking at benchmarks buy the most you can afford and assume whatever FPS numbers you see will be halved in DCS.

Thanks for all the great info!

There is so much online and its hard to find the right place to buy from.

I have thought about waiting for the new chips like you said. I only hope the wait is not too long but at least I can do the leg work now for everything else.

I don't want to worry about FPS or any BS. I want the thing to fly seamless with VR.

I appreciate your time.

SWEET INFO!

I appreciate your time. It has been 13 years since I have been in the puter biz but I am not too worried about building my own.

Once I saw the VR on youtube, I about shit myself with excitement. I did not know about all this VR stuff. MY GOD has it changed flying sims. It is as if i were in the cockpit like a real plane and i DIG THAT!

Thank you again.

Does anyone have an opinion on this new machine:

CORSAIR ONE PRO. Looks like it might do the job. I would prefer a build of my own like this one.

Warranty Two years

Weight 7.38kg

Form Factor Mini-ITX

Dimensions 200mm x 172.5mm x 380mm

CPU Intel Core i9-10940X

GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

DRAM 4x16GB DDR4-2666

Liquid Cooling Liquid CPU/GPU

Storage 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD

Motherboard X299 Mini-ITX

Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Networking Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.0

Power Supply Corsair SF750, 80 Plus Platinum

External Connections FRONT: 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1, Combo Headphone/Mic, HDMI 2.0a ; REAR: 2x USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-A and Type-C), 4x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 7.1 Audio, 2x Ethernet, 3x DisplayPort

Does anyone have an opinion on this new machine:

CORSAIR ONE PRO. Looks like it might do the job. I would prefer a build of my own like this one.

Warranty Two years

Weight 7.38kg

Form Factor Mini-ITX

Dimensions 200mm x 172.5mm x 380mm

CPU Intel Core i9-10940X

GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

DRAM 4x16GB DDR4-2666

Liquid Cooling Liquid CPU/GPU

Storage 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD

Motherboard X299 Mini-ITX

Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Networking Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.0

Power Supply Corsair SF750, 80 Plus Platinum

External Connections FRONT: 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1, Combo Headphone/Mic, HDMI 2.0a ; REAR: 2x USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-A and Type-C), 4x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 7.1 Audio, 2x Ethernet, 3x DisplayPort

Not what you look for.

Either a true 5.x GHz 8-10c Intel or a 12-16 core AMD for that much money. You dont need x290 chipset. Better invest in higher clocks and proper cooling.