[REPORTED]Sometimes no sound when starting DCS 2.5.6

Andy t

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
Okay, after starting DCS again and again, eventually I got to the point where I had music in the menu.

From the log

INFO    SOUND: Added sound path: Sounds
INFO    SOUNDER: Loaded 207 packed sounders.

This is good and how it should be.

However, this is not:

ERROR   EDCORE: loadFilePackage() failed: invalid gzip stream
ERROR   SOUND: can't load proto file "/sounds/24/sdef.tar:Aircrafts/FA-18/Cockpit/Betty/fuel low.sdef": /sounds/24/sdef.tar:Aircrafts/FA-18/Cockpit/Betty/fuel low.sdef: unexpected end in precompiled chunk

These are things that are non-conditional and should just work. More over, one file failed, while others in the same package did not - looks like RAM or disk (cable?) fail.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Clearly I am not saying that my hardware has no issue, after all this is a computer.

But it has no issue that I am aware of.

But even if my hardware has an issue, it does not explain why the release version is working flawlessly and I have this issue in openbeta, no ?

• ED Team
And just to confirm I ran memtest for a few hours on my RAM and it reported no issue.

Any idea how to test my SSD and hard drive ?

The sounds in 2.5.5 are not packed and thus do not have any checksums.

The "invalid gzip stream" error comes from WWII Units module, which is packaged exactly the same in openbeta-2.5.6 as in the release-2.5.5. So this error may happen in both builds for you, and most probably it does, you just don't use these units and thus never noticed the problem. And the sound issue is immediately noticable.

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Actually, no I did notice that.

I own most t WWII modules, Normandy map, and WWII asset pack.

In release version I can load P51 instant action from Normandy map.

In openbeta it does not work.

But I did not want to clutter the topic here as I thought it was irrelevant.

Okay small update as to where I am now.

As mentioned before, I started from scratch today, after deleting everything by re installing DCS Openbeta on my SSD (which is my main disk with the OS and P3DV4). Up until now, DCS had ALWAYS been installed on this disk. I started by installing the release version several months ago.

I then moved to the openbeta by using the command line. I had no major issue until 2.5.6 series.

Each time I moved back to release version, my issues (both audio, and various crases when loading missions) stopped.

This afternoon, I re installed DCS release version on my secondary disk which is not an SSD.

It just finished installing.

I can confirm TWO THINGS:

*On Open Beta, I have the "NO SOUND" issue; I DO NOT have this issue on release

*On open Beta if I select instant action on the P51, and any mission on the Normandy theater it crashes when loading. On release version, It IS WORKING OK

So I am completely at a loss here and something strange is going on. Perhaps during the install process ?

Some more info:

*It seems that in Openbeta I am basically unable to load anything on a Non default theater.

*My release version is a bit difficult to play because I have now micro freezes. I guess this is due to the fact that it is now on a HDD which is a bit slow, because yesterday, while release was on my SSD I had no issue.

I'll keep it like this for a few days to see if you can help me, but does not seem playable.

If not, I'll revert to release version on my SSD.

• ED Team
*On Open Beta, I have the "NO SOUND" issue; I DO NOT have this issue on release

*On open Beta if I select instant action on the P51, and any mission on the Normandy theater it crashes when loading.

logs logs logs logs...?

Perhaps during the install process ?

Unlikely. It's absolutely the same.

Here are two logs :

*First one, I started release version, clicked on instant action, persian gulf, a10c, free flight.

Game launched ok. I quit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbdhbqbfa04gsnp/dcs.log?dl=0

*Second one, I started open beta. For some reason I had sound in the menu (do not know why).

I then did exactly the same thing. It crashed very shortly after clicking free flight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yebm2ywtjo8dg05/dcs.log?dl=0

If you need some other logs,, now that you know where I am with my install, I'll do it without a problem.

Just tell me exactly what you would like me to do.

Charles

• ED Team
If you need some other logs,, now that you know where I am with my install, I'll do it without a problem.

Just tell me exactly what you would like me to do.

Which CPU model do you have, exactly?

If you can, please send me your CPU-Z info. Via PM if you like.

CPU is a Core i7 9700K overclocked to 5Ghz with Corsair H115i Pro watercooling.

FYI, I tried reverting my CPU clock to see if the issue disappeared when you first mentioned possible hardware issues, but did not see any difference.

Here is a link with screenshots from my phone.

As a bonus, a screenshot while someone was waiting with me for the update to complete yesterday...:music_whistling:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pn1blf2hzx75can/AABV5XJTeCYKlG_PhDSxvvMga?dl=0

I just freed some more space on my SSD so I was able to move release version on it.

So now I have both versions installed side by side on my SSD. I was missing DCS too much!

I can confirm release version working flawlessly.

I'll keep openbeta in case you want me to run some tests.

Have a nice day.

Charles

Well, I think I finally solved it and it was indeed a problem on my system, and apparently not hardware related.

I started relating those strange issues in DCS 2.5.6 beta to other issues that appeared on my system in recent months.

After investigating (a lot) I started suspecting something on my windows install.

So I decided to use Win 10 built in reset feature and chose the option to erase everything. Unfortunately all my issues were still present (including the fact that 2.5.5 was working flawlessly).

So in a desperate move, I created a bootable USB flash drive to re install Windows 10 the hard way after a complete formatting.

And my issues were ALL gone.

I still have no idea what happened but for some reason my windows got corrupt.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help me.

I'll now go wait patiently in the waiting room for the supercarrier !

Charles

Hello, I am not sure if someone mentioned it, but when I change my audio device after starting DCS (e.g. turning on my headphones), then I hear no sound as well. Before the 2.5.6 patches I did not have this problem.

Other than that I have had no issues so far.

I mean the default sound device in windows. Usually my monitor-speakers are the default device, but when I turn on my headphones, they become the new default sound device automatically. So I have to turn them on before starting DCS in order to hear the sound in my headphones.

This issue did not appear before the patches in the last few months.

Unfortunately, this does not work, because DCS does not recognize any audio device that has been turned on after launching DCS. In my case my headphones "Bose QC35 II" is not even listed the audio options. So I cannot select it manually:

attachment.php?attachmentid=233324&stc=1&d=1587493195

Only when I turn them on before launching DCS, my headphones get recognized:

attachment.php?attachmentid=233325&stc=1&d=1587493195

I know you guys have more important issues to solve, but since this problem has been newly introduced to DCS-beta just a few months ago, I hope you can fix this easily.

Preferably, I would like to turn on my headphones after the DCS launch, because it takes a very long time until DCS has verified my account each time when loading the sim.

20200421185018_1.thumb.jpg.79f6645a6815620382d6df3b341d0888.jpg

20200421185201_1.thumb.jpg.a1fb24650f90aa095ed02dce0f6d3bcf.jpg

Edited by Tiramisu