autopilots cut out when I autohover. bug?

silent one

Im a returnee. so Im confused as to whats happening with my autopilots.

Sometimes , not all the time, when Im moving and press autohover , ( which tuns on altitude hold ) I then turn off autohover and I can see 3 autopilots flashing and then go off. I always have to manually turn off altitude hold. But whats happening with the other 3? This seems to happen some of the time but not all of the time. I dont know if this is a feature or a bug. Any ideas?

This behavior is weird and can leave me with a unpredictable ship . I think I'm trimming and the autopilots are all off. :( Confused.

Huh this has never happened to me, that the AP-channels all go out?

Yes Alt-HOLD is automatically engaged when Hover-HOLD is turned on.

Alt-HOLD is not disabled when disengaging Hover-HOLD.

The only thing that concerns me with your statement is the "when I'm moving and press autohover" bit. You should be in a hover already when engaging Hover-HOLD, or at least not be moving more than 7km/h in any direction.

Try to record a track or video and post here so we can analyze the behavior you're describing.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I can turn them back on again. That works ok :) The issue is them turning them-self off without my asking them. I just look down and think WTF. As they are flashing or just turned off. The KA50 is ok to fly when its not just doing unpredictable things . Its more frustrating as I dont know if its a bug or if its doing what its supposed to :( grrr. lol. Ill keep practicing :)

If it is close to after startup then it is INU is not aligned enough. Flight alignment is 3 minutes (speed appears), full alignment is 15 minutes. Not sure how long into the process till Autohover starts working as never timed it but it will not work for awhile after a normal startup.

Im making short in flight training missions . So if Im starting in the air isnt shouldn't be UNU should it?

Today similar has happened after sustaining ground fire. I found 2 autopilots flashing. when I pressed them to see if I could reengage they just stayed off. Not sure if thats damage or something else. if damage why 2 and not the other 2 autopilots?.

Roth is correct, they're flashing because the INU isn't aligned yet, so auto-hover can't work. As a result, turning it on will cause the 3 channels to flash to let you know that it can't do that. For an air start, if your collective is all the way up and when you spawn in and you hear the low rotor RPM warning horn, that's enough to disconnect power to the INU. You need to lower your collective and nose when you air start to prevent this from happening.

As for taking damage, the autopilot channels use different sources. Depending on what you take damage to, some channels will still work while others are disabled. Heading hold only needs a compass, so it works on just electrical power, but bank and pitch hold needs the INU. Altitude hold needs the radar altimeter.

When the channels are flashing, that's to let you know that they were originally on but now they've turned off. Whether you can turn them back on or not depends on whether the source for the autopilot is working.

... if your collective is all the way up ... and you hear the low rotor RPM warning horn, that's enough to disconnect power to the INU.

That's interesting, and explains my "it all goes tits-up when you make violent manoeuvres" comment earlier.

Not sure that's how it works in IRL, but knowing it's a limitation here is a BIG bonus. So thank you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildcards BlackJack_sml.jpg

Does the INU full boot up time of 15 minutes affect the standby Attitude indicator (SAI).

Has any one tested this?

Gets on my nerves how quickly the SAI drops out of calibration.... It distracts me in the middle of combat unless I got it locked and stowed.

it ain't right, has not been right long time!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

1. The INS is powered through the generators, so it will take a few minutes to warm up after start up. If you don't get the numeric speed reading (HUD, top left) or the drift line (HUD, center, <50kph) your INS is still warming up.

2. If you fly below 10 meters the auto-hover will disengage automatically UNLESS you set the autopilot to hold barometric altitude. You will have to toggle the altitude channel or use the collective lever (default F) for the change to take effect.

3. Low engine RPM can cause the generators to "fail", disabling the INS, autopilot channels and of course auto-hover. There is no backup system to run the INS without the main generators.