New and updated encyclopedia

Ducksen

We have had a lot of changes made over the last few years. And the encyclopedia we have is not updated with all content in DCS.

And the content we do have is lacking in what I would call "in game relevant information"

Example; Take a sam system. Note in the encyclopedia page what other units this unit depends on. And have a link list to the others. And a link listed towards the missile that it uses. Makes for a way more userfriendly and informative experience.

And mission designers would like to know how far apart the units can be, and if mountains matter for coms between a track radar and a search radar. All that stuff is handy to have right from the developers internal knowledge.

You can state if known, what chaff or flare bursts are effective to that specific system.

Translate all this to all other module types like bombs, and air to air missiles and more.

The developers KNOW this. They are programming the states and terms and all the technical bits.

My wish here is to have it up to date. And a routine made so developers check and if needed add their newest creation to the encyclopedia.

And that the encyclopedia is standardized so things are listed in the same area of the page and more stuff like that.

Even a handy thing like links from a mission briefing. As a mission designer, like many of us are. We could have the possibility to list units by link in the briefing. So when the coalition reads the brief, they can click on a link for SA-15 Tor and see what that threat is and why that matters. What was the engagement range of that thing again? "Click" Oh, yes, I see, I remember now.

+1

While I think it's minor (I prefer to do my own limited research than rely on the encyclopedia), it sometimes bothers me that the amount of information sometimes isn't consistent, even if they are minor details. But also the fact that not all objects are present, and are even sometimes not consistent (I'm noticing a trend here) with what we actually have. The latter means I spend far more time using ModelViewer2.exe than I do the encyclopedia.

One thing in particular where DCS kinda misses the mark are specific variants, in particular eastern SAM systems, it took quite a bit of digging to figure out that the SA-2 we have in DCS is (I think) the SA-2D (S-75M), though there's conflicting information.

These are though IMO very minor things, and there is bigger fish to fry, despite this not being a particularly challenging task, seeing as the research should've already been done.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It definitely isn't a very pressing issue, but the encyclopedia could definitely use a little love. Most of it is from the FC2 (or even 1?) days, with very limited information at all. Those bits that got added afterwards have wildly varying content.

Personally I feel this is one of those little tasks that requires 'an intern'. Not literally. Just, you know, don't need a full-fledged programmer to edit this.