Struggling with flying this module (Not about the trim)

Cheetah7798

If i remember correctly oil conduct heat 8 times slower then water, expect that oil temp will have significant lag compare to coolant, Long high power climbs will be an issue for oil temp.

Water also has a much higher specific heat, and its higher thermal conductivity than oil works both ways - both to absorb heat, and to release it into the atmosphere via radiator.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-liquids-d_1260.html

So water both can absorb a huge quantity of heat more than oil, and it also can absorb it faster and release it faster into the environment than oil. This makes it far better of a thermal moderator than oil - which why inline engines can be far more efficient in terms of space and materials of the engine design itself than radials.

Why then, use oil cooling at all in a water-cooled engine? Because there are areas that cannot be cooled by water as they are not adjacent to water jackets or contiguous with areas of metal which are. These areas are critical, such as valve stems (and thus valve heads) which when not cooled, act as detonation flash points. Thus some cooling must be provided, and this comes in the form of oil cooling.

Oil temperatures rise when the heat of these parts of the engine (which are not in contact with the water jacket) also rises. In this way, the internal heat of critical engine parts is independent somewhat of the engine water (glycol) temperature.

AKA Venturi

"You can tell a bomber pilot by the spread across his rear, and by the ring around his eye, you can tell a bombadier; You can tell a navigator by his maps and charts and such, and you can tell a fighter pilot - but you can't tell him much!" -523 TFS Fighter Pilots Song Book

Oil cooler in planes is used to keep oil in safe temp margin. Inside the engine oil as cooler is sprayed at bottom of the pistons to provide cooling, but main oil job is to provide lubrication. Majority of heat is transferred by coolant out of the engine.

Oil as main cooler is not used often.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I'm sure that cooling the oil is what oil coolers do best, yes.

AKA Venturi

"You can tell a bomber pilot by the spread across his rear, and by the ring around his eye, you can tell a bombadier; You can tell a navigator by his maps and charts and such, and you can tell a fighter pilot - but you can't tell him much!" -523 TFS Fighter Pilots Song Book

I'm sure that cooling the oil is what oil coolers do best, yes.

For example, critical part of the engine which is not directly cooled by coolant is piston.

Piston is facing the biggest heat in the engine, that why this part needs extra care.

Main mean which heat is transferred out of piston are piston rings, number of piston rings is very important to this matter, rest of it is oil + evaporation of inducted fuel on the piston surface..

Valves are cooled by transferring heat in to engine head and coolant is draining heat from engine head.No oil involved

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor