Pimax 8k x or Reverb

raelias

Hey guys, so I'm looking to get a new vr headset, does anyone have experience with both the reverb and the pimax 8K XR? I'm between this two, i really want the resolution that i hear is so good on the reverb, but 200 deg fov sounds really amazing and immersive as well as long as the resolution is good enough and you are able to read everything just fine and identify stuff, any thoughts on owners of theese headsets?

Thanks

Edited by raelias

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Do you want it now or sometime late 2020?

Reverb - available now.

8KX - who knows.

Im sorry, I meant XR

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Just a thought, think you would need to upgrade your GPU first if you want to play something more than a slide screen.

As ED continue to improve the visual requirements, and vulkan aside, the requirements on the GPU and CPU are only going to increase. Also your CPU should be at or near 5Ghz.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

The 8K Plus is going to have a lower ppi than the Reverb. If reading gauges and dials is important to you (it's DCS after all so it probably should be) then the Reverb is going to be unmatched.

The 8K X, assuming it ever comes to market, will match the Reverb in PPI so you should get a similar if more taxing experience with a wider field of view.

If by XR you meant the 5K XR, it is going to have a visual fidelity experience similar to a Samsung Odyssey or Vive Pro. Tolerable but less than ideal particularly given the price.

IMHO, image clarity and spotting > immersion from a wider FoV. I'd like both and the 8K X may fit the bill but until then I'm happy with my Reverb.

The 8K Plus is going to have a lower ppi than the Reverb. If reading gauges and dials is important to you (it's DCS after all so it probably should be) then the Reverb is going to be unmatched.

The 8K X, assuming it ever comes to market, will match the Reverb in PPI so you should get a similar if more taxing experience with a wider field of view.

If by XR you meant the 5K XR, it is going to have a visual fidelity experience similar to a Samsung Odyssey or Vive Pro. Tolerable but less than ideal particularly given the price.

IMHO, image clarity and spotting > immersion from a wider FoV. I'd like both and the 8K X may fit the bill but until then I'm happy with my Reverb.

You want to consider PPD, not PPI... You can have the same PPI, but if your FOV is double, then the PPD will be half.

PPI=pixels per inch (physical monitor)

PPD=pixels per degree of FOV (monitor viewed through optics).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I posted a quick comparison review of my experience with the 8Kx, Reverb, index, rift s on Reddit at

You may find it helpful

Thanks for that review.

Interesting that the performance wasn't terrible. I assume it has a native 80hz refresh rate and you were getting half that with some sort of motion smoothing enabled at 40fps.

The main thing that worries me about the Pimax is what the overall performance is going to be in DCS. If its a slideshow, its a no-go.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks for that review.

Interesting that the performance wasn't terrible. I assume it has a native 80hz refresh rate and you were getting half that with some sort of motion smoothing enabled at 40fps.

The main thing that worries me about the Pimax is what the overall performance is going to be in DCS. If its a slideshow, its a no-go.

That's exactally what I'm thinking, also I want to be able to read everything in the cockpit with no problems whatsoever without having to zoom or lean

I think the Reverb is excellent price/performance for simmers. Without mechanical IPD it could leave something to be desired but if you fall into the 95th percentile you'll be fine. My IPD is 67mm and It's right on the cusp so I'm moving to an Index when they are available. I still strap the reverb on 1-2 hours a day to fly.

That's exactally what I'm thinking, also I want to be able to read everything in the cockpit with no problems whatsoever without having to zoom or lean

Reverb is fine for that.

Reverb is fine for that.

Can the AMPCD in the Hornet be read in the Reverb without zooming in?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I can't even ready it on my 27" 1080p monitor without turning off the map haha

I have the index and while I like my roomscale games I was a bit disappointed in dcs: reading the text on the mfds of the a10 can be very difficult. The map is always turned off (black background screen only). Still I love my vr setup and can never go back to 2d flying. However I preordered the 8kx because I want to see the difference in clarity and field of view... when it arrives I will post my experience. Who knows when ;)

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

I have the index and while I like my roomscale games I was a bit disappointed in dcs: reading the text on the mfds of the a10 can be very difficult. The map is always turned off (black background screen only). Still I love my vr setup and can never go back to 2d flying. However I preordered the 8kx because I want to see the difference in clarity and field of view... when it arrives I will post my experience. Who knows when ;)

Thanks looking forward for it

I may go to the Pimax 8kx but my concern is how much horsepower it will take to drive them to their max res. I have issues with my rig running the reverbs at constant 45fps with decent settings in game so it looks good still.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

I may go to the Pimax 8kx but my concern is how much horsepower it will take to drive them to their max res. I have issues with my rig running the reverbs at constant 45fps with decent settings in game so it looks good still.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression performance in the 8KX will be better than The Pimax current line up because The Native Resolution will be far better therefore letting you leave DCS Pixel Density and Steam Super Sampling at a lower rate ,Giving Your GFI a break and free to do other tasks.

Patrick

mini.gif

Don, before the mission starts (before you hit FLY), I can read the top row POS/INS, UPDT, SCL/40 etc just fine. The left and right are littler harder to read but I can still make them out. The left and right not being *that* clear is the same on my Acer34 Predator monitor. Honestly, the clarity is about the same as my Reverb. Monitor is better, but not by too much.

But once the mission starts, the map comes up and everything is washed out. Maybe it's my astigmatism coming into play? But then again, it wasn't like that before. This is on the latest beta.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

In my opinion, go with the HP Reverb.

I was able to test Index, Reverb and 8KX side by side. My conclusion is that right now Index offers the best quality and balance overall, because there is always more to consider, like sound, comfort, etc. etc. Reverb (v2) is really good too, it gives a clear picture and price is not to bad either.

The Pimax 8KX was very dissapointing to me. The sweet spot was very tiny and with little head movement (try dogfighting) you keep loosing the sweet spot. What gets really annoying is that you constantly need to reach and correct your headset during flight. If not that, then the lenses were getting fogged up rather quikly. Don't get me started about the sound... I was quickly done with it.

Yes, the 4K pixel density is there, however you can only see sharp in a tiny spot looking straight forward, which feels too restrictive compared to Index or Reverb, you'll want to be able to look around and see sharp, if only for a bit, to glance at your instruments or something like that. Also there still is the tiniest bit of screendoor and distorting on the outer edges. Performance in a normal DCS mission (low level, with aircraft, targets) was just terrible with a Intel 9900K and 2080Ti, which leads me to think that there is a lot of wishfull thinking that 8KX 2x 4K screens are going to bring us wonders. The Reverb is going to help you there, albeit for a lesser FOV, but at good attainable performance.

It may sound as the ideal package and truly +1 for Pimax for pushing it to the consumers, but I have to recommend anybody to try to test the 8KX first yourself, before trusting and buying it. Who knows, maybe you have a far better experience than I did. I hope you do :).

For the record, I own a Oculus Quest and am very happy with how it performs in DCS with Link. I also have experience through friends with Rift CV1 and Rift S in DCS, who are happy with those headsets also. Lastly, the Pimax 8KX (pre-production model) was my first ever try with any Pimax headset, so I can not compare my experience to any other Pimax headset.

Edited by Scuby

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying

In my opinion, go with the HP Reverb.

I was able to test Index, Reverb and 8KX side by side. My conclusion is that right now Index offers the best quality and balance overall, because there is always more to consider, like sound, comfort, etc. etc. Reverb (v2) is really good too, it gives a clear picture and price is not to bad either.

The Pimax 8KX was very dissapointing to me. The sweet spot was very tiny and with little head movement (try dogfighting) you keep loosing the sweet spot. What gets really annoying is that you constantly need to reach and correct your headset during flight. If not that, then the lenses were getting fogged up rather quikly. Don't get me started about the sound... I was quickly done with it.

Yes, the 4K pixel density is there, however you can only see sharp in a tiny spot looking straight forward, which feels too restrictive compared to Index or Reverb, you'll want to be able to look around and see sharp, if only for a bit, to glance at your instruments or something like that. Also there still is the tiniest bit of screendoor and distorting on the outer edges. Performance in a normal DCS mission (low level, with aircraft, targets) was just terrible with a Intel 9900K and 2080Ti, which leads me to think that there is a lot of wishfull thinking that 8KX 2x 4K screens are going to bring us wonders. The Reverb is going to help you there, albeit for a lesser FOV, but at good attainable performance.

It may sound as the ideal package and truly +1 for Pimax for pushing it to the consumers, but I have to recommend anybody to try to test the 8KX first yourself, before trusting and buying it. Who knows, maybe you have a far better experience than I did. I hope you do :).

For the record, I own a Oculus Quest and am very happy with how it performs in DCS with Link. I also have experience through friends with Rift CV1 and Rift S in DCS, who are happy with those headsets also. Lastly, the Pimax 8KX (pre-production model) was my first ever try with any Pimax headset, so I can not compare my experience to any other Pimax headset.

Thank you very much for your imput, I'll probably end up getting the Reverb

Just a thought, think you would need to upgrade your GPU first if you want to play something more than a slide screen.

As ED continue to improve the visual requirements, and vulkan aside, the requirements on the GPU and CPU are only going to increase. Also your CPU should be at or near 5Ghz.

Realy? A 1080Ti is too weak?

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I will just say this.

Reverb and 2080Ti together will cost the same as just Pimax 8KX.

So you calculate for your own which is better deal for you.

Yeah, but you need at a 3080ti or 4080ti to run the pimax at the same frame rate.