Pimax 8k x or Reverb

raelias

• 2 months later...
In my opinion, go with the HP Reverb.

I was able to test Index, Reverb and 8KX side by side. My conclusion is that right now Index offers the best quality and balance overall, because there is always more to consider, like sound, comfort, etc. etc. Reverb (v2) is really good too, it gives a clear picture and price is not to bad either.

The Pimax 8KX was very dissapointing to me. The sweet spot was very tiny and with little head movement (try dogfighting) you keep loosing the sweet spot. What gets really annoying is that you constantly need to reach and correct your headset during flight. If not that, then the lenses were getting fogged up rather quikly. Don't get me started about the sound... I was quickly done with it.

Yes, the 4K pixel density is there, however you can only see sharp in a tiny spot looking straight forward, which feels too restrictive compared to Index or Reverb, you'll want to be able to look around and see sharp, if only for a bit, to glance at your instruments or something like that. Also there still is the tiniest bit of screendoor and distorting on the outer edges. Performance in a normal DCS mission (low level, with aircraft, targets) was just terrible with a Intel 9900K and 2080Ti, which leads me to think that there is a lot of wishfull thinking that 8KX 2x 4K screens are going to bring us wonders. The Reverb is going to help you there, albeit for a lesser FOV, but at good attainable performance.

It may sound as the ideal package and truly +1 for Pimax for pushing it to the consumers, but I have to recommend anybody to try to test the 8KX first yourself, before trusting and buying it. Who knows, maybe you have a far better experience than I did. I hope you do :).

For the record, I own a Oculus Quest and am very happy with how it performs in DCS with Link. I also have experience through friends with Rift CV1 and Rift S in DCS, who are happy with those headsets also. Lastly, the Pimax 8KX (pre-production model) was my first ever try with any Pimax headset, so I can not compare my experience to any other Pimax headset.

Not sure which 8kx you tried, but this is completely wrong. I tested the 8kx at CES 2020 and it was nothing short of incredible with a sweet spot that spanned the entire fov of 170+. You sure you're not mixing up the 8k+ with the 8kx? I think you are.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not sure which 8kx you tried, but this is completely wrong. I tested the 8kx at CES 2020 and it was nothing short of incredible with a sweet spot that spanned the entire fov of 170+. You sure you're not mixing up the 8k+ with the 8kx? I think you are.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wonder what kind of machine i'd need to drive it tho...

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

I may be disappointed, but I'm going to wait for the Reverb G2. In March it said soon, but with everything going on in the world, who knows what soon means anymore.

There will be more info revealed by HP tomorrow - 28th.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There will be more info revealed by HP tomorrow - 28th.

nice I havent heard about it, will look

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

I have the feeling that the 8KX will require a RTX 3080 Ti for running smoothly. Given that a Reverb is already at the limit with a 2080Ti, and 8KX has 16M pixels vs 9M for the Reverb, I hope that a dual 3080Ti is not necessary...

I think I will wait Occulus to release a Rift with a resolution similar to the Reverb, to keep the Touch controllers, the adjustable IPD, and perfect software and hardware quality that Occulus provides. I hope I don't wait too long...

I have the feeling that the 8KX will require a RTX 3080 Ti for running smoothly. Given that a Reverb is already at the limit with a 2080Ti, and 8KX has 16M pixels vs 9M for the Reverb, I hope that a dual 3080Ti is not necessary...

I think I will wait Occulus to release a Rift with a resolution similar to the Reverb, to keep the Touch controllers, the adjustable IPD, and perfect software and hardware quality that Occulus provides. I hope I don't wait too long...

You may be as Oculus seems to be headed down a different path these days.

I am with you, loved my CV1 and loving my Rift S for now. I hope they do something for PC-VR, but have a feeling it will be focused on Quest at least for the short term.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Seems likely pcvr development from Oculus (other than Quest/link) is years away , if at all . It will be interesting to see what the G2 Reveb is about . Otherwise , i expect to soldier on with the RiftS for quite a while .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

8KX - full features, tracking controllers and audio = 1800$

HP Reverb G2 = 600?

Is there any doubt what to chose?

BTW just in time when G2 will be out 3080ti is arriving as well and Reverb G2 + 3080ti will cost same as 8KX without GPU.

It won't help much since we also need more CPU than whats currently available on the market.

:thumbup:

Yep.

Or some true VR advances in the technology to reduce the heavy requirement to get good performance and better image quality.

I personally really do not consider any of the current or announced headsets as what I would consider a true 2nd generation VR device.

Reverb G2 is not really making any advances, more so addressing some weaknesses of the first one.

One thing is they develop these devices with made for VR games in mind, which do not require as much "oomph" to run as a combat flight simulation with VR support added in.

Edited by dburne

Don B

@webweaver40, to answer your question, Actually no! It was the 8KX! In the mean time there are more reviews and user experiences out there on internet saying as much about the 8KX, which I expected considering I was disappointed with the quality too. I reckon that there are also positive experiences. You certainly seem convinced that the 8KX is very good, and really I think that is great!

I'm a firm believer that everybody should test a headset for themselves first, before deciding to buy. I think that is good advice. For me personally, I will not consider 8KX, because after my own testing I conclude it does not meet my requirements. Yes, there is always going to be people who totally WOW and hype it after trying it for a few minutes, and be cognitive dissonant to any contrasting views, but I will predict it here: 8KX is not going to be big with the consumers. Really, +1 for Pimax to set first foot on the moon making double 4K and large FOV financially accessible to consumers! Only do you really think it is not compromised somewhere? Why is e.g. Farjo, XTAL, so expensive? Just to tease us little people? :P I'd rather wait for them, or Oculus even, to get such specs to that "accessible" price point.

A lot of 8KX consumers are frustrated now, because (again) many did not receive their 8KX yet from Pimax. It was supposed to be released already... by which I mean there is much more things to consider for a product to succeed. I'd prefer a more trustworthy supplier.

Indeed HP Reverb G2 is revealed. I would be investigating and considering that much more closely, quality and feature wise; i.e. even with upcoming 3080Ti something like the Reverb G2 specs (Resolution, PPD, FOV, FPS) are going to be "sweetspot" for some years ahead. Also with the likes of an Index. Trust me on this. Don't believe me? Look at the Farjo headsets DCS is just supporting: awesome quality and clarity, but at 87 FOV not that far off the sweetspot. Try running 8KX with 2x 4K resolution at 170 FOV. Awesome if you can get 90 FPS without compromising on the beautiful DCS graphic settings... I expect you can properly by 2024 with an 4080Ti probably.

Also there's some "secret headsets" underway, which do not have a reveal date,....... yet ;) .

Edited by Scuby

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying