Latest patches for "Piercing Fury"

ouseler

Where can I find the latest patches (fixes) for Ranger 79's Piercing Fury Campaign?

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

It's an official campaign module so all patches are handled through the regular DCS update mechanisms, be it Steam or the stand-alone launcher.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Unfortunately, Ranger79 doesn't sell the campaign any more so it most likely won't be updated any longer.

I purchased the campaign at the end of 2019...it seems extremely poor form (given it is/was) official DLC that its already broken/unusable by the begining of March 2020 - less than 3 months later!

How long will other modules I have purchased from ED be available for use? 3 months/year/3 years?

Will Flyable modules be broken? Terrains? Or is it just DLC campaigns

Airbag_signatur.png

I purchased the campaign at the end of 2019...it seems extremely poor form (given it is/was) official DLC that its already broken/unusable by the begining of March 2020 - less than 3 months later!

How long will other modules I have purchased from ED be available for use? 3 months/year/3 years?

Will Flyable modules be broken? Terrains? Or is it just DLC campaigns

Agreed. This is pretty poor form.

Is ED essentially saying - Don't purchase Campaign DLCs unless you intend to play them immediately...don't purchase campaign DLCs and expect them to have any long-term replayability...

If it is...fine! It would be OK if it stated that overtly...

I understand what your saying BUT -the DLC was purchased VERY recently - at that point there was no disclaimer - "only valid for a couple of months" and whilst a now defunct 3rd party can't be expected to support it ad infinitum - does ED have any obligation to continue supporting it (I believe after the Hawk debacle - all rights on the code of DCS add-ons revert to ED if the 3rd party dev closes) - or perhaps more pertinantly why oh why oh why does every single update insist on breaking the triggers/pathfinding on all the older missions (I mean I understand when the 2.5 terrain was released yes - it altered the maps...but smaller updates?)

Will future updates eliminate my other currently purchased DLC?

Airbag_signatur.png

Most likely, yes, especially campaigns since they fiddle a lot with the scripting engine and any such change runs the risk of breaking all older missions until either the engine is change back or the mission is updated — neither of which might happen.

And yeah, it's not all that well communicated on the store page. A couple of campaigns are marked as “not available” (Piercing Fury and Viggen Red flag) now but there's no indication of why and the only warning you'll ever see is that they have a minimum version requirement. For the Hawk, at least, there was a “will not be supported beyond [whatever version it was]” but no such thing here. To add to the confusion, the Viggen campaign is now integrated into the base module, but there's no mention of that either, so you may end up owning it but with no indication of where you got it from.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I don't know if we'll be privy to the exact reasons for this having been discontinued unless Ranger79 and/or ED can/will share them. I can at least speculate that it wasn't a complete surprise, as they managed to set a 1/1/20 date for it. Beyond that, I don't know that it's our business.

The exact reasons for the missions not working are, hopefully, very temporary. It's not a function unique to the mission itself and anything that utilizes it will have been broken by the 2.5.6 update. I know I sure spent enough time in the mission editor trying to get around it before realizing it was a widespread problem :music_whistling:

If there's future upkeep needed... I don't know how that will work. That probably goes back to whatever agreement was made between Ranger79 and ED. If someone from the community finds an issue and submits a fix, is ED willing to implement it? Is Ranger79 okay with that? We have a good community here, but I wonder if our hands are tied.

Problem with the DLC campaigns is that they are encrypted so you can't save changes made with the mission editor. Yeah, you can run it from there, but it won't help with progressing through the campaign and you can't share the fixed missions.

Right, I was more meaning with doing local testing to find the necessary fixes and then having them pushed downstream by ED. That process would absolutely need to be blessed/sanctioned by them, if they're interested in accepting proposed fixes. If they've agreed that Ranger's stuff is just entirely hands-off and as-is, we're boned.