Wrong Logic of IFF 81

Jonne

Hi,

recently I stumbled upon the IFF of the MiG-21 in a German aviation forum. Besides some really cool pictures of the inside of the IFF code block, it also had a lot of information regarding the ИЗД 81Э.

The ИЗД 81Э (called Type 81 IFF in DCS) was retrofitted after it became apparent, that the enemy was quite aware of the function of the current WarPac IFF and its codes. This was a quick patch, which included a small block attached to the regular IFF block in not only the MiG-21, but many other aircraft. After activation by the switch in the cockpit, it would modify the IFF return by the aircraft with a fixed logic. If I understand correctly, it actually just inverts the set code. This system would only be activated by the pilot, after a specified codeword was transmitted by ground control. Its purpose probably being, that once it became known, that the enemy is using your own IFF codes, you could fastly switch to a new unknown IFF return. Therefore it was strictly forbidden to use this switch in any other situation and the switch would be secured by copper wire. Retrofit of this system was mid 80's in the GDR by the way.

Now for the MiG-21 in DCS, this switch functions as an ON/OFF switch for the radar IFF itself, which of course is not realistic.

Here is my source (in German): https://www.flugzeugforum.de/threads/freund-feind-kennung.57650/page-4

I know this is only an aviation forum and no literature, but it actually has a lot of knowledge by former NVA pilots and technicians and therefore is a great read if your interested in aircraft used by the NVA and you are able to read German. If I can find any literature regarding this system, I will add it to this thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

True, but you should still be able to iff the birds on the radar without touching this switch. At the moment it isn't able to iff a bird without the switch turned on, which is incorrect. Please fix this bug and it would be awesome to see the copper wire on the new cockpit upgrade

The most realistic approach with what currently may be done in DCS is, that turning this switch on, will disable the IFF. So that if someone else tries to interrogate the MiG-21, its return will be either unknown or hostile.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]