Help me with the first part of upgrade. 1/2

Hi all.

Long time. DCS looks amazing. Getting back into it.

But first... I need to drop some chash.

My Motherboard and cpu are rather old. about 5 years.

So I looking to upgrade the motherboard and cpu now. So it will last another 5 years.

I have been looking at Ryzen 9 3900x . Its a bit expensive , what is a good alternative?

Is that a good buy.

My budget is a bit limited. I am looking at around 6-800 USD. For motherboard and cpu.

This is what I am thinking.

Motherboard : X570 ,X470 or B450.

CPU: ?

GPU : ?

Please help! :)

Edited by Kevlon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So far. This is my first go...

MotherBoard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING Hovedkort - AMD B450 - AMD AM4 socket - DDR4 RAM - ATX

Ram : G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4-3600 C16 DC (AMD) - 32GB

CPU, i am thinking AMD Ryzen 3700 x

What do you guys think?

Edited by Kevlon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Kevlon,

my CPU is 5 years old as well but still performing good. At that resolution it might be worth looking at the GPU as well. Upgrading from a GTX 1070 to a GTX 1080Ti brought me a high boost in FPS.

You should check with MSI Afterburner or similar how the load of your CPU and GPU is to figure out the bottleneck. If the GPU runs below 80-90% you have a CPU bottleneck, if it runs at 99-100% already you have a GPU bottleneck. I choose to have the 1080 Ti because of its 11GB of RAM which is always nearly full (I have 3x 27" WQHD running).

Maybe worth looking deeper into it instead of spending a lot of bucks and not earning the expected boost in frames.

So if you let us know what you actually have it could help to judge this in a better way.

Xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

Hi.

Thanks for replying.

I have a new 5k monitor 49 inch. That will be a problem.. haha.

This is the monitor:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-crg9-dual-qhd-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza/

A really nice monitor :thumbup: You should at least get a RTX 2080, if you plan to fly at the native resolution.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Not easy with that combination of FreeSync2 and 5k.

The AMD 5700XT is not fast enough to power that screen in an adequate way, you would at LEAST need a 2080ti, better a faster one soon to arrive, but that will not guaranty that whatever Gforce card you will get can drive the monitor with Freesync2 the way it's ment to be, only an AMD card could guaranty that. Kind of a stupid situation.

I would wait for an AMD card that has the power of a 2080ti or better which I hope will arrive next few months, just follow the news and you can judge yourself.

I would double check the Nvidia supported FreeSync(2) monitor list before spending lots of money one a card that wont kick in FreeSync2. That would void the monitor capabilities to a large extend imho. No need to buy such an expensive screen and then not have the features enabled.

I just replaced my son's fried GTX980 Poseidon card that was 780€ when I bought it with a AMD 5500XT for 230€ that finally supports his 144Hz FreeSync screen, he's a FPS gamer. he said "Wow, SOO much better...and ~25% faster as well". 7nm...60-70w vs. 225w and much less noise. All in all, a superb card with superior lithography and features for small money.

I would not buy into 2080ti old-lithography/250w+ when those new cards from NV will have also 7nm, AMD may even come out with 7nm+ with their new top-end card, which will be even better. I'd wait if I was you.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

thanks all for the answers . in the first go i will go with the motherboard, ram and cpu upgrade. the gpu i am still at a loss on what to do.

I would suggest take Bits advice given your nice but demanding monitor specs. So yes upgrade your CPU, motherboard and RAM now while holding off on the GPU. Nvidia should be releasing their new generation graphics cards under the Ampere architecture while AMD with their "Big Navi" cards should also be making an appearance late this year. This should mean some significant performance gains while also hopefully brining some better value and importantly choice in the graphics card market.

As an owner of a Nvidia Pascal GTX 1070 I just haven't been able to bring myself to cough up stupid money on the RTX series of cards that don't bring performance gains that I would expect for the price. So I just turn down some graphics settings and tinker to get DCS to run how I want for now and when the next generation of cards arrive in another 6 to 12 months then I will take the plunge and crank up the graphics settings again.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

• 1 month later...

Components done

Did the update.

I came across some money flow and got it done a bit faster than expected.

MotherBoard : B-450-F

Ram: 32 GB dd4 3600 G.skill

CPU : AMD 3700 x

GPU : 1080 TI

I am planning on upgrading the cpu again prop in the fall when the new AMD cpu are out,

I got a sweet deal on the GPU, bought it second hand. for 400 euros. Planning on upgrading that also after the new 4000 series are out. or a better AMD card that supports freesync

And! Ordered a HP Reverb VR headset, Virpil base and deskplates.

Good times :)

Edited by Kevlon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]