Trying to learn the F-16C

linzamin

I'm trying to learn the Viper. I think I have my HOTAS setup decently. One question though. What do you have mapped for chaff and flares? Keystroke or HOTAS button? I can't do a mapping to keyboard. The system won't let me.

Also, do you always have MDS LVT switch on?

Thanks for your guidance.

I'm trying to learn the Viper. I think I have my HOTAS setup decently. One question though. What do you have mapped for chaff and flares? Keystroke or HOTAS button? I can't do a mapping to keyboard. The system won't let me.

Also, do you always have MDS LVT switch on?

Thanks for your guidance.

CMS mapped to joystick. Is the Thumb stick forward to release selected program on actual F-16 stick. Select the actual program to release on the CMS panel beside your left knee (program 1-4 - MAN)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/F-16_Side_Stick_Controller.jpg

Yes MIDS always on.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 doesn't have chaff and flares. Instead it has an electronic warfare system which interfaces with the countermeasure dispenser system to releases chaff and flares as needed. It's not even the right question to ask what button dispenses the thing..

Countermeasures Management Switch (CMS) is a four-way hat on the side sticker controller. The F-16 loves four-way hat switches. I think the HOTAS has five of them. Anyway CMS up runs the selected dispenser program, program 1 2 3 or 4. CMS down and right give and rescind consent to jam and dispense using the semi or fully automatic response modes. CMS left does the secret ninja function that varies by exactly which model and country customer your plane is.

I personally have all CMS directions mapped because the Warthog joystick is essentially an F-16 stick identically.

Depending on how fully you want to utilize the EWS complete package, you may need all four CMS directions mapped. If all you want is to run programs 1 through 4 manually then CMS up alone is enough.

F-16 doesn't have chaff and flares. Instead it has an electronic warfare system which interfaces with the countermeasure dispenser system to releases chaff and flares as needed. It's not even the right question to ask what button dispenses the thing..

Are you aware that there is a manual chaff and flare dispense? You can set up your own programming as well. I'm a bit confused by your statement here :huh:

I agree. I'm confused too about that statement.

To first state that the F-16 doesn't have chaff and flares, and then in the next sentence state that it has a countermeasure system to release chaff and flares, is a contradiction, isn't it?

I don't know about the the block 50 (F16C), but I've worked as an electric engineer on the block 15 (F-16A) during the 90's, and then we mounted one chaff cartridge which contained 60 (or was it 30? cant remember) chaffs, and one flare cartridge which contained 30 flares.

Edited by d0ppler

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

What does CMS left do btw (in the real F-16)?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Manual program 6 release.

But that's not implemented atm, right?

So when this gets implemented we can release program 1-4 (the selected one) with CMS FWD, program 5 with the CHAFF/FLARE DISPENSE button and program 6 with CMS LEFT. That's a bit of an odd setup :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

But that's not implemented atm, right?

So when this gets implemented we can release program 1-4 (the selected one) with CMS FWD, program 5 with the CHAFF/FLARE DISPENSE button and program 6 with CMS LEFT. That's a bit of an odd setup :huh:

Don't know if it8s implemented in DCS.

As for the logic:

1. Programs 1-4 can be activated through 3 sub options by the CMDS mode:

Manual and Semi: CMS forward activates the chosen program.

Auto: CMS forward enables the chosen program to be activated by the computer when needed.

2. Program 5 is activated by the slap switch on the left of the cockpit and is a panic button.

You just slap it with your left hand in RL.

3. Program 6 is a default for whatever you think you might need.

Bottom line is you can have three ready to use different programs on the fly to take care of three kind of threats (such as long combined small bursts during a low attack run, another for radar missiles and another for IR).

jgVplRQ.png

Don't know if it8s implemented in DCS.

As for the logic:

1. Programs 1-4 can be activated through 3 sub options by the CMDS mode:

Manual and Semi: CMS forward activates the chosen program.

Auto: CMS forward enables the chosen program to be activated by the computer when needed.

2. Program 5 is activated by the slap switch on the left of the cockpit and is a panic button.

You just slap it with your left hand in RL.

3. Program 6 is a default for whatever you think you might need.

Bottom line is you can have three ready to use different programs on the fly to take care of three kind of threats (such as long combined small bursts during a low attack run, another for radar missiles and another for IR).

Yeah, that's how I understood it as well (I was only talking about manual usage). I find it odd that program 5 is activated by the slap switch and program 6 by CMS LEFT. I would have found it much more logical if it would be the other way around (CMS LEFT for prog 5 and slap switch for prog 6), but maybe that's just me :music_whistling:

Btw, why is CMS Left / Program 6 not implemented yet? It doesn't seem to be much more dev work than all the other dispense switches which are already implemented. :huh:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not all F-16s do the CMS left program 6 thing. I think all F-16s (at least C/D and newer) do the slap switch thing. The PXII jets for example have TMS left do something with the internal jammer and toggle jamming priority relative to own sensors.

Not all F-16s do the CMS left program 6 thing. I think all F-16s (at least C/D and newer) do the slap switch thing. The PXII jets for example have TMS left do something with the internal jammer and toggle jamming priority relative to own sensors.

Correct.

In certain update programs CMS left is set to default jammer program.

jgVplRQ.png