How to NOT load a minigun

Easy when you place the aircraft on a mission or edit a mission select the aircraft and change the load-out to zero ammo or as required.

<edit>

Wait a minute If I apply your previous communications idioms you are actually asking can one remove the minigun and not, not load the minigun, as I understand it from Sven, no you can not. AFAIK.

Edited by FragBum

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

But terrible field of view,.. isn't that still heavier though? :lol:

:thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I want to fly Gazelle as close to plain (civilian) variant. There are hundreds of privately owned Gazelles. All of which are demilitarized airframes from British Army , French Army, and retired military and paramilitary from North Africa and Jordan.

I want to induce LTE and overpitch states, as I watch in YT helicopter safety and training videos.

However I have been unable, thus far, to induce LTE in OGE to IGE transition as shown. I can put DCS: Gazelle into VRS, but its easy to get out of. Just collective down cyclic fwd, or cyclic to the side.Then fly out of VRS. Well in DCS: Gazelle.

To induce LTE and overpitching (collective up too much to fast), flying slow downwind or at 45-60 angle into wind. Now that is how Bell 206, and Robinson R44/66 , and UH-1, can enter overpitch and LTE. But thus far Gazelle has been resistant to that. I am questioning if behavior is even modeled in DCS Gazelle, UH-1H. KA-50 has no tail rotor, and I a don;t own MI-8 module.

LTE scares me more then any other problem in helicopters, except total engine out requiring autorotation. Looking at videos, helicopter is flying normally, usually transitioning from OGE into IGE to land. All looks good, then wham!.. For no visible reason, it starts spinning about itself and crashes. No recoveries are filmed.

LTE isn't modelled in any DCS helicopter module.

IIRC Polychop said they hope to model LTE in their new Kiowa FM but as it depends on many factors i.e. atmospherics, etc. that are not modelled in DCS, they have yet to decide how strong/easy LTE will be and will be guided by SME feedback.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

So what happens when UH-1H, MI-8, and Gazelle take fire and damage to tail rotor or boom. They don't spin? I've had boom and tail rotor blown off in UH-1H, in DCS. The aircraft starts to spin until a crash. Loosing tail rotor has same effect as loosing purely aerodynamic LTE.

Torque due to the main rotor is modelled, as is weather cocking (turning into the wind) due to a cross wind hitting the tail.

LTE is a different effect - a crosswind from an adverse direction reduces the thrust produced by the tail rotor i.e. it's ability to counter the torque, etc.

It's also a dynamic effect i.e. when in a turn or translating left/right.

LTE reduces the control authority of the helicopter - IIRC UH-1H tests showed it could maintain a hover in an adverse ~20 kts cross wind, in DCS the limit is ~40 kts.

Ref: Page 85 - Tail Rotor Performance and Translational Flight Handling Qualities Tests UH-1H Helicopter, AD0901787*

* UNCLASSIFIED 12 Nov 1973: Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

What is ' IIRC ' ?

IIRC = "If I Recall Correctly"

LOL

Thank you.

I cant imagine that it would be very hard for RAZBAM to remove the minigun and gunner,. I also would like an option to fly without co-pilot/WSO .Then just its just a matter of skins to have civilian, law enforcement, and paramilitary livery and flight suits.

Help me out please. What is ' IIRC ' ? I am sure its a acronym for something obvious I should know.

It can also mean "I Invent Random Certitudes"... basically, people spout something they'd like to be be true, or some arbitrary fact for which they can't be bothered to (or simply can't) find ab even vaguely-reliable reference. So they tack on an "IIRC", and any such nonsense suddenly sounds far more authorative. ;)

It can also mean "I Invent Random Certitudes"... basically, people spout something they'd like to be be true, or some arbitrary fact for which they can't be bothered to (or simply can't) find ab even vaguely-reliable reference.

It's simply been a while (2017 ?) since I researched AD0901787 and flight tested for LTE in the Gazelle and other DCS helicopters.

jELT3Eg.png

This is an abridged version, for further detail check out page 147 - FAA-H-8083-21A, Helicopter Flying Handbook 2012

Here is a good LTE explanatory video "

"

If you believe that some DCS modules model LTE or my reference to "Page 85 - Tail Rotor Performance and Translational Flight Handling Qualities Tests UH-1H Helicopter, AD0901787" is flawed, please explain.

Edited by Ramsay
Add link to a good explanation video

In UH-1H mod, there is something like it. I tried as follows.

Approach LZ with downwind (i.e. tailwind), KIAS lower then 20 kts, fast aggressive pull of collective. Within two seconds LOW RPM , Master Caution, and audible tone come on, and UH-1H looses lift and pedal authority. Helo then spins into Terra Firma. Even faster if cyclic back pitches up nose and/or bank.

In UH-1H mod, there is something like it. I tried as follows.

Approach LZ with downwind (i.e. tailwind), KIAS lower then 20 kts, fast aggressive pull of collective. Within two seconds LOW RPM , Master Caution, and audible tone come on, and UH-1H looses lift and pedal authority. Helo then spins into Terra Firma. Even faster if cyclic back pitches up nose and/or bank.

This is not LTE by definition. This spin is caused by the low RPM and therefore reduced tail rotor thrust.

Edited by ghost84

Right, and fast pull of collective causes low rpm on engine and rotor. I suspect that the virtual governor cannot respond fast enough to sudden hard collective up. So the increased pitch of blades causes more bite of the air, more drag, thus lowers RPM, until governor recovers or pilot lowers collective. Perhaps this an overpitching condition.

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

• 1 month later...

Wait... they can't model LTE because of something that isn't in DCS?

Seriously?

DCS provides the wind direction and speed. That is all that is required. The rest is up to their flight dynamics to compute.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."