[REPORTED EARLIER] Steering dot not showing proper lead

Baikingu

I have noticed that the steering dot is completely off.

My understanding of the purpose of the steering dot is so the pilot can line up the jet for a close to optimal intercept course for the missile at launch. So that the missile can fly "stright" of the rail to get a proper lead on the target with out having to do to big corrections. Correct me if im wrong :)

This at the moment is far from the case.

Test parameters: 1 target beaming me co-alt (28k) at mach 0.9

In my first test.

I put the dot in the center of the ASE.

Get a shoot cue.

Shoot aim-120C (at 7.5nm) and just after launch the missile has to do a 12 G turn to get the correct intercept course.

Note: the steering dot is dead center of the target box. this already tells me something is off.

On the second test.

I put my nose on a 20 deg lead on the target.

Get no shoot cue. Since the steering dot is not even in the heads-up display.

Shoot aim-120C (7.5nm). Missile flyes almost straight of the rail to get a proper intercept course on target.

All shots was in STT lock.

I think its a result of an improper intercept calculationfor the missile in general. On some other testing i did from longer ranges (24nm) on a beaming target. The missile has to keep a continuous turn to intercept the target (target not maneuvering). This bleeds constant energy.

In contrast the SD-10 flyes close to straight to intercept a beaming target conserving energy. Side note: The SD-10 also lofts. The aim-120 does not.

For reference see this hud tape of a real mig kill from a hornet. Go to the 2:30 minute mark. You can clearly see the steering dot is leading the target way outside the target box.

Another side note: Tested the aim-7 as well. they got no guidence at all. just went straight. aka broken atm.

steering dot center 8nm 120c.trk

steering dot 20 deg lead 8nm 120c.trk

steering dot center 8nm aim-7m.trk

Edited by Baikingu
Clarification of headline

I noticed the steering dot issue reported in the open post too.

The steering dot for optimal intercept course was completely outside the missile circle.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Noticed this as well. Even saved some tracks for both the AIM120C and the AIM-7M Sparrow. Bug is present for both missiles. Just in case it is helpful i want to add these to the thread.

I uploaded only the AIM-7 related tracks. *_3 shows the sparrow launched such that the steering dot is in the middle of the cue. It doesnt even reach the target. *_4 shows a lead shot of the sparrow. It still needs some course correction mid-flight but it can at least reach the target. (*_1 and *_2 would have been the amraam tracks which i omitted, just in case you wonder about my nomenclature)

Hornet_steering_cue_3.trk

Hornet_steering_cue_4.trk

Yeah have also noticed the lead dot not exactly what the missile actually wants as I do try and center the dot to give the missile as much energy to keep as possible (lord knows it needs it with the wonky works great or not at all AMRAAM) and I've watched the AMRAAM make some immediate left or right turns off the rail depending on enemy aspect even with me centering the dot.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2.5.6.45317 Open Beta patch seems to have fixed the lofting issue. But the steering dot is still not working as it should.

A bit off topic: but I tryed a lofted shot at a beaming target at 28k 50nm. My missile lofted to 100k alt and actually flew past my target at mach 2.1. The missile did not seem to be tracking though

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Radar steering dot completely wrong

The radar generated steering dot which should provide the intercept vector to the locked target is calculated completely wrong. This leads to missile shots where the missile has to perform an erratic an energy draining maneuver right from the start of the engagement. I am rather surprised this is still a thing after two years of development.

Dear ED team, please take a look at this bug. This is a crucial and basic feature of every modern radar and should be fixed pronto as it currently puts Hornets drivers at a severe disadvantage.

That's not even the main issue. You can eyeball how much lead you need to give the missile. The main issue is that the steering dot is superimposed on the target which makes a visual ID of a target in the HUD a nightmare. In the past it had some logic that wasn't correct but at least it wasn't blocking the most important LOS at all times.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

That's not even the main issue. You can eyeball how much lead you need to give the missile. The main issue is that the steering dot is superimposed on the target which makes a visual ID of a target in the HUD a nightmare. In the past it had some logic that wasn't correct but at least it wasn't blocking the most important LOS at all times.

Uhm yeah, that superimposed dot while VID'ing comes on top of it as a really unpleasant side effect. It really is a p.i.t.a. sometimes. Eyeballing or doing the mental work of calculating lead can work but is never accurate enough to make the missile come off efficiently. It drives you nuts when going against a capable enemy. Let's just say at this stage of development this bug simply should not be there anymore.

Thank you. I know it was already reported some month ago but since no progress on fixing that bug can be seen I thought I'd revive this bug report as it also affects the F-16. Bringing these things to ED's attention can never be a bad thing, right?:D

• 1 year later...