F-16C worth grabbing yet?

Just wondering, since it's a work-in-progress. Does it at least have a reasonably functioning A2A radar and gunsight yet?

I have a TM Cougar HOTAS, fitted with Hall effect sensors and Leo Bodnar's USB control board, so the F-16 is the only module that my HOTAS is actually a realistic representation of! :)

Considering how expensive the module is I'm curious if it's really a barebones early-release with most of the stuff not working yet... In other words, how far along is it?

Thanx

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Not very far. Its ok for A/A but that still has some issues. AG and lots of other systems need a ton of work yet. INS is currently a WIP as an example.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just wondering, since it's a work-in-progress. Does it at least have a reasonably functioning A2A radar and gunsight yet?

Yes, it got the same gunsight upgrade as the Hornet did with the last patch. It's A2A radar is working well, including TWS. Even the TGP and LGBs are already working.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Only had it a day and already enjoying what is there. Yes there are tweaks needed and more functions added but its a functional airframe atm. 100% its not worth the $79 price tag with what you have currently but I bought for nostalgia as I was a crew chief on them in USAF.

For air to air I'd say it's good. The radar is a little buggy especially in ACM modes, but overall it's very effective.

Air to ground is another story - it's pretty much broken right now, trying to make it work is an exercise in frustration for me. We sorely need cursor zero implemented.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

As an aircraft to use in DCSW it's absolutely functional.

As a complete F-16 it's an OK air to air rendition but a pretty sparse air to ground one.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Thanks for the input everyone! Think I'll hold off 'til it's on sale cheap in maybe 3-5 years :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

I’m really enjoying it, despite its few difficulties.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Thanks for the input everyone! Think I'll hold off 'til it's on sale cheap in maybe 3-5 years :)

AD

It gets finished in this year (2020) so no need to wait for 2023-2025.

It is already value of its money, and considering it gets finished in this year (that is schedule, so at least early 2021) you have only 9 months to fly it before it is finished. In those 9 months time it will receive big updates rapidly, so not all-in in the last month, but likely now on every 1-2 months to get bigger features in.

In 2021 you likely see it already in -25% sale and maybe even in end of it at -33%. But need to wait up to 2022 to see -50%.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

F-16C worth grabbing yet?

It gets finished in this year (2020) so no need to wait for 2023-2025.

According to ED's official announcement it shall be "feature complete by the end of 2020", not finished.

What are those features and whether it will be achieved are two questions only ED knows the answer to.

Either way, the DCS Falcon is a long way from being finished, truly finished.

I was going to pull the trigger three weeks ago and...after flying the Hornet extensively and finding out its state after almost two years and reading a lot about the Falcon's state I decided that at this time it's not worth my money.

It just doesn't even come close to another Falcon out there.

Many bought it and many are content with it and it's OK.

Is it the right module for someone who knows the Falcon inside and out...that I don't know.

One can acquire too many bad habits from flying something with such an inaccurate FM, avionics, weapons employment and what not.

It does look beautiful though.

It is one product out there of the Falcon and it is highly detailed, so much more than others.

Is it sold at a good price for its condition...it's for the market and the producer to decide.

Remember one thing...it was a surprise ED decided to make it, after many years of avoiding it.

It's up to them how accurate they want it to be and how fast.

In one sim it's the primary aircraft...while in DCS it's one of several.

jgVplRQ.png

That's what I'm thinking. The F/A-18 has been around for quite a while, and it's not done yet!

AD

Kit:

So the group I fly with have been using and loving it, even in it's rather unfinished state.

Right now it is more like an F-16A with a few additional toys (for example DL, HMCS, AIM-120). However, it's already significantly more capable than the Mirage and it works perfectly well as a basic aircraft. The plane is a rocket and personally I like flying it more than the F/A-18, which feels a bit slow and lumbering by comparison. I also prefer the F-16 HOTAS and avionics.

Whether it's worth it now is kinda up to you really. It's definitely not finished, but I've been really enjoying it and look forward to learning new features as they come along. That said I'm kinda biased as I've always been a huge F-16 fan, YMMV.

Edited by Tomsk

I just love it. I’ve always been a huge F16 fan, and it’s so fun to fly. Despite the missing parts in DCS it’s still worth the bucks.

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

I have the Hornet, the A-10 and the F-16..... I currently fly the Viper almost exclusively now and I don't regret buying it. Don't get me wrong, I like the other two, but the F-16 is just fun to fly and more than capable of doing lots of stuff even in its current unfinished state.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

No. It's not.

There are too many drawbacks- The MFDs readability is bad, most of the systems - both avionics and weapons - are missing or incomplete.

The module is still very much premature and there are many bugs. It would recommend to wait for it's status to get much better before spending money.

Personally, I LOVE the F-16 and grabbed it right away as it was released just to get very disappointed and rarely fly it.

No. It's not.

There are too many drawbacks- The MFDs readability is bad, most of the systems - both avionics and weapons - are missing or incomplete.

The module is still very much premature and there are many bugs. It would recommend to wait for it's status to get much better before spending money.

Personally, I LOVE the F-16 and grabbed it right away as it was released just to get very disappointed and rarely fly it.

Exactly the same!!! :thumbup:

Also, the most bothering thing for me is not accurate/incomplete HUD symbology in different modes. :(

But is EA, so there is nothing left but to hope that this simulation will be corrected and completed in the future.

Edited by falconbr

If you enjoy the F-16 (and have messed around with Falcon BMS or Falcon 4), buy it during the next sale. Yes, it is not complete, but (IMO) it is very enjoyable in its present level of development. DCS/ED continues to roll out updates and improvements on a regular basis - which is great.

As far as the FM goes - it seems pretty good to me (but I'm not an F-16 driver in RL).

Image36.jpg

It needs some guided missiles. otherwise it is good

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

It needs some guided missiles. otherwise it is good

It already has 4-5 different guided missiles. More to come.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

It already has 4-5 different guided missiles. More to come.

I'm guessing he means Air-to-Ground, EG Mavericks

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

If one likes F-16 and will buy it anyway, what's the matter if you will buy it now or later ? There is so much to learn about it (to employ properly) that it will be finished before you really can master all it's capabilities.

If you want to master the Viper and learn how to operate it properly and according to IRL, there is a lot to learn and read the earlier you start the better. If you just want to be the "macho" of the airquake servers I believe it has what you need for A2A BVR but it needs some work on WVR.

A2G is rather limited now, but again there is a lot to learn for proper weapon employment even when we speak about dummy bombs, but if you want to be the killer in public MP, for A2G it is not ready yet.

So the short answer is it depends - if you want a study sim - there is a lot to keep you busy until the missing features are ready. If you want airquake - aside BVR it's not there yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm guessing he means Air-to-Ground, EG Mavericks

Then he should say so :music_whistling:

Tornado3 small.jpg

According to ED's official announcement it shall be "feature complete by the end of 2020", not finished.

What are those features and whether it will be achieved are two questions only ED knows the answer to.

My bad for using word "finished" so that it can be nit-picked for not understanding that "feature complete" is same thing... That its main development is finished and module enters to maintenance phase where it gets updates when things broke or needs face-lifting etc, a common process.

And ED "feature complete" is well known status, explained by ED on pre-order page that what features will come, as well additional information on updates etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

My bad for using word "finished" so that it can be nit-picked for not understanding that "feature complete" is same thing... That its main development is finished and module enters to maintenance phase where it gets updates when things broke or needs face-lifting etc, a common process.

And ED "feature complete" is well known status, explained by ED on pre-order page that what features will come, as well additional information on updates etc.

Some interesting arguments here about anything but the subject.

Let me clarify: the OP's equipment suggests he is quite knowledgeable regarding how the Falcon should operate with almost complete avionics.

The current state of the Falcon suggests, in my opinion, it shall be a long way from there, at least in the near future.

ED can decide their own definition of finished for the Falcon...but...a finished product, when there is a similar one at hand, implies to the layman, it shall be very close to full operational avionics, weapons, FM and what not.

The definition used by ED, eg "feature complete", means something else.

That the features they listed in its development shall be, according to them, completed by the end of 2020.

Bottom line is, nobody but ED know what and how the process shall go but when you put the two exact aircrafts side by side you understand how much work there is yet to be done till they shall be even comparable, other than the way they look.

One thing for certain...a lot of people are crossing their fingers for a finished DCS Falcon, me included.

jgVplRQ.png