Beta vs. stable vs. EA — bashing it out

Tippis

@Pikey: agreed.

But there is hope: if ED's new closed beta efforts turn out to be successful we all get a more stable OB which could be that stable that there is no reason for a stable version anymore for most of us.

OB would get its releases later than it now does and development for the majority of users gets slower. But more stable. Could reduce such threads like this one.

OB would get its releases later than it now does and development for the majority of users gets slower. But more stable. Could reduce such threads like this one.

I think you might be confused about what this thread is about. :lol:

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

The thread and the whole discussion imho is about what OB and what stable do we want.

ED has reacted with establishing a closed beta in the very near future. And I gave my 2 cents in the last post. Btw I have no problems with very different opinions bc all what led to where I am with my DCS experience has good value for me and I encourage everyone to go on with whatever you did to come this far.

The thread and the whole discussion imho is about what OB and what stable do we want.

Close enough.

As such, it's an on-going discussion that just happen to be particularly topical at the moment due to how 2.5.6 highlighted the whole victim-of-its-own-success angle to such a degree that new measures had to be taken. It's not a topic that is likely to be reduced any time soon since it's ever-present. Indeed, it's probably a topic better had in threads such as this rather than being strewn about as OT posts in just about any thread dealing with news, patches, past and future developments (i.e. just about any thread ever).

I started the thread because it is obviously a discussion that needs to be had, based on what keeps popping up in those other threads, but where even fairly sensible posts get deleted because they're trying to keep those discussions on-topic. There's a fair amount of chaff as well, I'll grant you, but that's just part of the business. Either way, it seems more sensible to have that conversation on-topic here, than off-topic all over the place.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Close enough.

As such, it's an on-going discussion that just happen to be particularly topical at the moment due to how 2.5.6 highlighted the whole victim-of-its-own-success angle to such a degree that new measures had to be taken. It's not a topic that is likely to be reduced any time soon since it's ever-present. Indeed, it's probably a topic better had in threads such as this rather than being strewn about as OT posts in just about any thread dealing with news, patches, past and future developments (i.e. just about any thread ever).

I started the thread because it is obviously a discussion that needs to be had, based on what keeps popping up in those other threads, but where even fairly sensible posts get deleted because they're trying to keep those discussions on-topic. There's a fair amount of chaff as well, I'll grant you, but that's just part of the business. Either way, it seems more sensible to have that conversation on-topic here, than off-topic all over the place.

Agreed. I did not mean that this discussion "should" be reduced but "would". In fact I was hoping that a thread like this could be a place where all move to who want to discuss things like that. Out of all the other threads where things quickly got off topic.

You can't close a discussion anyway.

I think the main issue about the "Beta" and "Stable" Discussion is, that Stable simply takes too long to receive patches.

I mean, look at it. Stable gets a patch roughly once a month. Beta got Patches almost weekly, and for the most part, it worked fine.

That's why most people made the switch to Beta. Regular updates, nothing "major" that breaks, and if so, it most likely will be fixed a week later.

So it's a mixed bag of "People want the new shiny stuff" and "Regular updates". If I see all over the internet "Feature XYZ" and have to wait almost a month (or longer) to play it, yes, people will make that switch.

2.5.6. was a ****-up, let's not beat around the bush there. It broke a lot and even ruined planes that were working reasonably fine the patch before.

So sure, we all could make the switch back to "Stable", but that will only last till the Supercarrier arrives. Especially if it would take months to get it in "Stable".

TL;DR: I don't think it's basically a "Shiny thing first" problem, instead of a "It takes too long to get the Shiny Things on stable" Thing.

Good idea. Shut down all critics. Worked great in the past. :S

Blind fanboying never helped anyone.

Once again an overwhelmingly melodramatic response to s simple opinion to which I am also entitled thank you! I was merely suggesting that a post bitching about “bitching “ probably wasn’t a productive use of bandwidth. “Blind fanboy”. Thats funny! Between the use of “fanboy” “troll” and “straw man “ on this forum, its clear who the “trolls” and bullies” really are. Show me one of your productive posts?

Bitch away Sally!!

Regards

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Once again an overwhelmingly melodramatic response to s simple opinion to which I am also entitled thank you! I was merely suggesting that a post bitching about “bitching “ probably wasn’t a productive use of bandwidth. “Blind fanboy”. Thats funny! Between the use of “fanboy” “troll” and “straw man “ on this forum, its clear who the “trolls” and bullies” really are. Show me one of your productive posts?

Bitch away Sally!!

Regards

You are fully entitled to your opinion Betty. And so am I.