NVIDIA Bug?

I got a new desktop last week and the screensaver and sleep timers would not work. Screensaver would not turn on, and the PC would not switch to sleep mode. After much research (and trying everything under the sun almost!) I discovered the culprit. The latest version of NVIDIA Experience. It must keep something running in the background that prevents the screensaver from coming on and the pc from entering sleep mode. I uninstalled it - don't need it anyhow - and both issues are resolved.

I hope this helps out any of you experiencing the same thing.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

I like to use GeForce Experience as it takes really good screenshots and recordings.

You can adjust the settings where it doesn't start on boot, and/or just close the program when not using it so it's not in your system tray. It's not a bug. Our computers only do what we tell them to do whether the user is aware of it or not.

That being said if you aren't using it you can remove it without any issues when gaming, just be sure to check for new drivers manually every month or so.

Ahh, that is an OLD bug and only comes to play if you have CONTROLLERS attached. I suffer the same bug and therefor have GFE not installed.

Unplug all controllers ( on my end it's TM WH Throttle that causes it ) and see if that fixes it. If it does, decide which way you wanna go, unplug controller(s) or deinstall GFE.

It's a Microsoft-Nvidia bug, both know it, no one fixes it.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

An old and annoying bug! I need to disable my Game Controllers from Device Manager to put my monitor to sleep. With or without GeForce Experience it doesn't matter.

I can fix it temporarily with "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes", but after flying in DCS it returns.

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, Reverb G2 V2

It was certainly pretty frustrating to figure out. Being that I don't need GeForce Experience, I just uninstalled it.

@Sn8ke_iis - which settings are you referring to? Prior to uninstalling, I browsed through the settings in GE and didn't see anything that stood out.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

@Sn8ke_iis - which settings are you referring to? Prior to uninstalling, I browsed through the settings in GE and didn't see anything that stood out.

Apologies, I misspoke. I was remembering the settings for Razer Synapse and the typical "Start when Windows Starts" and "Start Minimized" settings. They both have a similar color scheme in the GUI. I must be getting old.

I was able to replicate the issue with Thrustmaster HOTAS. I honestly had never noticed it before. You can still force it to sleep manually, but it's not automatic. Same for screensaver. I usually keep a rotating desktop image from ones I've downloaded to a folder with desktop icons off and with the taskbar set to hide automatically and use that as my screensaver.

Regardless, if you aren't using it, it's just bloatware. Shadowplay does work well for recordings though. I like the instant replay feature where you can save the last X minutes that you specify and you can adjust the bit rate for quality/file size.

............... You can still force it to sleep manually, but it's not automatic. Same for screensaver..................

Actually, that only works until my computer then awakes for unknown reasons and would then never go back to sleep again.

It took me almost half a year to find the root cause of this, I was really frustrated that it worked on my 7700k but not on the 8700k with only the board and CPU being changed. No Bios entry helped, no RegFix, nothing helped until I found the correct page via google that explained how this comes together. I can have a all of my controllers attached that I usually dont have, like a G25 Wheel and Gamepad, 2nd Logitech Joystick, they all don't cause the bug, just the throttle triggers that stupid bug.

My PC is usually on 24/7/365 with a 2min-to-sleep setting during the day to save energy and component life, I do not care too much about the wear and tear of the SSD it's writing to to offload stuff while going to sleep.

With electricity being over 30 €cents/kWh by now it was critical for me to get that rig to sleep

when unused. My idle consumption with all attached is roughly 160w according to my Corsair AXi-1200 monitoring software. According to HWinfo my 1080ti has 61.772 watt consumption when in desktop..LoL. My HTPC upstairs with an i7-860, 12GB, NV 710GT and an 850Pro has a consumption when watching YT or Netflix/Prime that is less than this monster card alone.

The water pump Eheim 1046 needs 5watts + 10x fans ( 5x120, 4x180, 1x200 ) with a guessed average of 0.2amp cant be it either. It's very dissatisfying to see such a hefty wattage for typing in here or anything else non-gaming.

One more reason to use my MacbookPro 15" for daily use. I think I could work on 5 MBP's with the same 160watts, haha.

Energy Management is critical, moneywise and to save component life over the years.

...and that bug drove me nuts

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem but GFE isn´t installed. Still didn´t find the cause. I will try to unplug the TM to see if it works (if it makes sense because GFE isn´t installed).

Edit: I cannot believe it. The TM is causing the issue. I also unplugged the Saitek Pedals but it is the Warthog. I did not expect this to be the cause. I thought it would have been related to Windows 10 Built 2003. Maybe it´s the combination.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz