JDAM accuracy

steelrfan85

I tried dropping JDAM at 35K and missed by probably 10 yards. Is there a more optimum altitude? I was trying to stay out of SAM range. Also is there way to drop multiple JDAMS on a single target? I have multiple stations selected. It seems like pickle has to be pressed for each bomb but missed the ship by 10 yds from 25K. All these are done in PP mode. I tried TOO with pod as well. Dropped at 20K 1 target was hit. If I had a target coordinates, if I hit the pickle each time, would they go for same target? I tried to select target in TOO mode with Pod and dropped one then selected another, pressed pickle then another etc. only hit 1 out of 4. There are a lot of questions, sorry.

With respect to the miss distances, try using a steeper impact angle (especially if you don’t have the most accurate altitude associated with the target coordinate... because... geometry). Yes, this will decrease your IN ZONE.

Not necessarily, but it’s good practice so that you’re not worrying about too many variables. But set your weapon’s impact angle to something steeper than the default if you need better accuracy. You can change the desired impact angle and velocity (in feet per second) on the MSN sublevel with JDAM selected. Changing these values will enlarge or shrink your IN ZONE volume for a given set of aircraft parameters.

Edited by Creepy

You should lose your target to get a range. This firms up the elevation information of the target. Elevation error accounts for most inaccuracies in targeting.

In real life yes. In DCS this isn't implemented to the best of my knowledge. At least I have never noticed any difference in target coordinates and bomb accuracy when lasing the target compared to not lasing it.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In real life yes. In DCS this isn't implemented to the best of my knowledge. At least I have never noticed any difference in target coordinates and bomb accuracy when lasing the target compared to not lasing it.

This was definitely implemented in the A10, probably still is if not bugged.

Generating a markpoint with laser ranging versus not ranging (with exact same LOS) would produce two slightly different locations. Of course it was most noticeable with shallower lines of sight.

Also remember to aim at the base, or underneath the vehicle or target, as the tgp will see through the target and designate the ground. I tend to aim just in front of the target from that sort of altitude cos your also many miles from the target

Hope this helps

Red

I attempted 8 JDAMs today. Manually put in all 8 coordinates (which were 8 trucks in a straight line, spaced 900' apart) after confirming they were all good in ME.

5 missed, 3 hit their targets.

3 for 8 is a shi!!y way to do things.

I hate JDAMs in this sim. JSOWs on the other hand--DEADLY AF!

Intel Core i7-6700@3.4GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

16GB RAM

TM TFRP Rudder Pedals

TM TWCS Throttle

Virpil VPCWarBRD Base

TM F/A-18C Hornet Grip

I attempted 8 JDAMs today. Manually put in all 8 coordinates (which were 8 trucks in a straight line, spaced 900' apart) after confirming they were all good in ME.

Weird, I have it the other way round (I max JDAM x4, something might be broken)

JSOW suck, when there are countermeasures, turkey shoot, they're dead.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Could you attach a track?

I tried dropping JDAM at 35K and missed by probably 10 yards.

And what are you expecting?

30 meters Circular Error Probable (CEP) when just with INS (no accurate GPS), meaning 50% of the bombs will drop under 30 meters from target.

And with the optimal release scenario you get only a 13 meters CEP.

So your 10 yards (9.1 meters) is WELL INSIDE the CEP parameters.

In real life if you drop 8 bombs, you will have 4 bombs dropping further than 13 meters (14.2 yards) and 4 bombs dropping at 13 meters or shorter than 13 meters from the target.

The problem in DCS is that weapons are way too reliable, like laser designators are too accurate, too easily spotted by weapons, you have too clear thermal cameras, there is basically nothing causing problems in the systems.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Firstly, what SAMs are you avoiding at Angel 35? If someone can point me to a spec table of the various SAMs I would appreciate it.

The reason I ask is that I've been plinking tanks at 25,000 without first lasing for range and coordinates and have a 85+% kill ratio. My pickle point is more than 8 mi away so it's a pretty safe bet.

What I find interesting, and entertaining is the flight path of the JDAMs (32 & 38) when it seems to be defying gravity running more along the horizontal axis than the vertical.

In comparing this weapon to a JSOW, those things are worthless when attacking a SAM protected target. Like 'majapahit' wrote; it's a turkey shoot....a waste of ordinance and mission time.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC