Guns reticle mils in A2G MAN mode

stenji

Anyone can please explain in a simple way how's the changing mils work in MAN mode? I understand the reticle is moving down increasing the number in the UFC but the bullets are shooted at the same height. I thought moving down the reticle was followed by the gun nose... Apologize my ignorance but even Google cannot help really much this time and I'd like to better understand how it works.

If radar is inoperative, then you dial down a certain amount of mils to compensate for bullet drop. Think of increase in mils as an increase in range, the further the target, the more mils drop required.

Edited by garyscott
Autocorrect!! Bahhhh!!!!

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

The gun barrel does not move. If you have to use MAN mode, you need to manually input the expected bullet drop for a certain dive angle, firing at a certain altitude AGL, at a certain range to the target.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

If radar is inoperative, then you dial down a certain amount of mils to compensate for bullet drop. Think of increase in mils as an increase in range, the further the target, the more mils drop required.

The gun barrel does not move. If you have to use MAN mode, you need to manually input the expected bullet drop for a certain dive angle, firing at a certain altitude AGL, at a certain range to the target.

Thanks guys, do you know if there are some tables to reference with?

Thanks guys, do you know if there are some tables to reference with?

I don't have any, but I'd advise you to check the relevant training mission in the game, it should cover (part of) it. I think the F-5 has tables like that, which can be a good starting point, but I don't own it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

very likely classified stuff and covered only in the rag syllabus. Good luck finding it. I suspect most rw pilots don't know much about it anyway - they probably know it for a time during training and start forgetting things since it's probably never used. Things have to really go south with your jet for you to resort to that.

Not classified, just math. Also, I have never shot the gun in manual mode. As far as “things going south,” you wouldn’t be able to effectively employ the aircraft at that point anyway (let alone still be in it).

Not classified, just math. Also, I have never shot the gun in manual mode. As far as “things going south,” you wouldn’t be able to effectively employ the aircraft at that point anyway (let alone still be in it).

Yeah that's what I meant. You'd probably head home if you were degraded to that point. But there's a lot of conjecture to that statement to be frank.

Same, I think I've only used the gun in MAN mode once or twice, out of curiosity. Losing the radar would almost certainly warrant you going back to base, especially if the gun is the intended weapon (as in, there's no HVT to attack etc, otherwise you'd use a JDAM or something, which can be used without the radar). The only scenario I can think of that you'd stay would be Emergency CAS, where you'd try strafing enemy troops approaching friendlies.

-