Could the lower FPS after 2.5.6, be because of windows version 1909?

GVO

When 2.5.6 came out, I noticed a lot of people mentioning worse FPS in VR. I didn't and actually thought I noticed an increase.

Anyway a few days ago I updated my windows to 1909 and after that I had stuttering and noticed a big decrease in FPS. It could be because I played other missions or something. I am not sure tbh but before I rarely got below 40 FPS (Rift S) unless I was on a crowded airport.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

Anything is possible.

But I find the frame rate post 2.5.6 pretty much on par with 2.5.5 if I account for no longer running the vr shader mod.

I did after updating wipe all shader caches, delete all shaders I applied with the shaders mod, and ran a dcs repair this includes all the map specific shaders as when you setup VR shader mod.

And haven't really had any problems with 2.5.6 at all, although I was unable to play until they had dropped a few of the hotfixes.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I have been on 1909 for a while and did not see a performance decrease with 2.5.6.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

When 2.5.6 came out, I noticed a lot of people mentioning worse FPS in VR. I didn't and actually thought I noticed an increase.

Anyway a few days ago I updated my windows to 1909 and after that I had stuttering and noticed a big decrease in FPS. It could be because I played other missions or something. I am not sure tbh but before I rarely got below 40 FPS (Rift S) unless I was on a crowded airport.

I hardly doubt it. I went to 1909 when I got my Reverb (several weeks before OB 2.5.6 was released). Immediately after OB 2.5.6 installation, I noticed a big drop in framerates.

Last week however, I installed the stable 2.5.5 version for Steam (next to my stand alone version) and I noticed that the stable version also lost performance. Not as bad as 2.5.6, but still. So that got me thinking if maybe it also has something to do with all the SteamVR and WMR updates lately... Just guessing here though...

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I’m on 2.5.6. Yesterday I had to start up in 2D to diagnose a mod not uninstalled properly. My frame rate in 2D @1080p was 140. When I got back in VR, the same I stand action mission was capped around 40. No ASW on and the only change was going through the rift S. Now I know VR takes more CPU and going from 1080 to whatever the rift was is an increase in pixels, but that seems like way too much of a difference.

Could you please post your DCS settings? My system is pretty comparable to yours

jv77k6R.jpg

Also I run 1.3 on PD.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

try terrain textures low in VR. i don't notice a difference visually and it really helps with VRAM usage and latency. my 1080 has more than enough VRAM. but only using half of it really speeds up VR performance.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

no, if you use the same operating system and get different results between builds the most likely answer is in the build... not the operating system

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Well I'm using the settings Don posted apart from PD at 1.6 because the text is too blurry for me at 1.3. Its better than it was, not quite 2.5.5 but not far away so thats great. Another Windows update appeared tonight so fingers crossed ????

If you are testing FPS, try a free flight in an empty map first (with mission editor). Check FPS and then try a mission with AI units.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I am still on windows 10 version 1903 and I had massive FPS drops with 2.5.6. The issue is 2.5.6.

At least with VR-sets using Windows Mixed Reality(Reverb at least) there seems to be a big advantage to update to lastest windows 1909. We had some cases in the forum that got helped by this. This was mainly before 2.5.6.

I would get 1909 asap regardless of VR-set, if no other specific information of quality said otherwise.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe