DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

On 12/17/2020 at 2:54 AM, Lurker said:

I know this is a joke, but I wouldn't hold my breath on the new clouds coming before a major overhaul of the graphical engine. 

Did you notice the clouds in the 2021 roadmap video? 😮

Just checked: I'm still on Open Beta xxx.58125 (Steam) is there something I need to do to force Steam to update?

Switch to public beta? 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

18 hours ago, Zoomer said:

SSD's don't operate at their best when much more than half full. That's just the nature of the beast.

Untrue. My wife's laptop is running a 500gb SSD. I tested it with some drive R/W benchmark eith a couple hundred GB and again with only 20-30gb left. No measurable difference. Obivously a full drive is a bad idea cause swap files, etc, but it did not negatively affect performance.

Otherwise, yeah, it's been blatantly obvious since NTTR first released that if a person accumulates maps, it will massively balloon in size. You can absolutely keep DCS under 200gb no problems... just don't install multiple maps. People with Pokemon syndrome are gonna need a big drive, all there is to it.

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• Optimized culling for Default Terrain Objects Shadows option.

My pc struggle a lot with low flying over cities and forests. Not 100% sure but today looks like it has improved a bit

also,  shadows are looking marginally different? I see a tiny bit of flicker now.

19 hours ago, Sr. said:

Did you notice the clouds in the 2021 roadmap video? 😮

Just checked: I'm still on Open Beta xxx.58125 (Steam) is there something I need to do to force Steam to update?

Switch to public beta? 

The Video is called 2021 and beyond. I know they are working on it, but how far out is it? Call me cynical but, as with everything else that Eagle Dynamics does, I'll wager it comes along later rather than sooner. Or rather I'll be happy when they release it. Not before.

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

The Video is called 2021 and beyond. I know they are working on it, but how far out is it? Call me cynical but, as with everything else that Eagle Dynamics does, I'll wager it comes along later rather than sooner. Or rather I'll be happy when they release it. Not before.

I agree. Reputation is one thing, but if they live up to that reputation then better not get our hopes up.

• Like 2

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

Great work on the new patch ED, for me it has made a big difference. I have kept my 16X AA and 4X MSAA and even upped my PD from 1.5 to 1.6 which has reduced the shimmering even more. With the Spitfire on Normandy the ground stutter has gone when flying over the tree tops and like the Spitfire on Normandy, both the F-18 and A-10CII on the PG map the FPS doesn't drop below 45 and as soon as I am over the water the FPS shoots up to 90. 

Edited by Bearskin
  • Like 2

GigabyteZ390, 9900K, RTX2080, 32 gig RAM,TM Warthog, Cessna Pro Pedals, Pico 4

On 12/18/2020 at 1:51 AM, Joni said:

On 12/18/2020 at 2:12 AM, Zoomer said:

To be honest anyone using a 250gb SSD for DCS has been on borrowed time for a while. The 500gb is a minimum.

Not according to ED, according to them, 120GB SSD is "recommended" for a typical DCS World installation (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/)

On 12/18/2020 at 7:31 AM, Dagger71 said:

Daniel, you just need to create a symbolic link for the _downloads folder to your other slower drive.   Also, tis patch does not require even close to 480GB, not sure where you got that from.

Creating symbolic link is a process that's not easy for most DCS players. Not even close to 480GB okay, but definitely more than a 240GB SSD.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:19 AM, draconus said:

My 240GB is fine with DCS so you're wrong.

So you don't own Normandy, PersianGulf and Syria?

On 12/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, BIGNEWY said:

As mentioned in discord, you have to manage your disk space, we can not do it for you. 

But you (ED) could've posted a warning that the average ED customer will require a 480GB SSD.

Edited by DanielNL
  • Like 1
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

1 hour ago, Shibbyland said:

I could have missed this but when is stable version updating?

Kate Perederko stated that Stable will be updated on a few days, before Dec 31

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

5 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Not according to ED, according to them, 120GB SSD is "recommended" for a typical DCS World installation (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/)

Creating symbolic link is a process that's not easy for most DCS players. Not even close to 480GB okay, but definitely more than a 240GB SSD.

So you don't own Normandy, PersianGulf and Syria?

But you (ED) could've posted a warning that the average ED customer will require a 480GB SSD.

Sorry Danierl, but you are  wrong.  DCS does  NOT required a 480GB SSD,   not even close.   DCS will all maps and modules, won't even fill a 250GB SSD.      I think they definitely should change the recommended to  a dedicated 250GB SSD.

Creating a symbolic link is a single cmd command.   If you don't know how, just ask. 

Besides you've been around for a while now, you knew DCS was growing,  I don't understand why all of a sudden you are having an issue.     I am guessing you  ED installed on your OS SSD?? 

Edited by Dagger71

On 12/18/2020 at 1:35 PM, Tippis said:

Second favourite thing I just noticed (that isn't even in the patch notes): the double-bind warning signs that even tell you where the conflicting bind is, rather than colour the entire row red in the most unhelpful manner.

Yes, awesome feature! DCS definitely has the best key bind system of any sim I've played, and I'm pretty sure I've played them all!

• Like 1

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

9 hours ago, Dagger71 said:

Sorry Danierl, but you are  wrong.  DCS does  NOT required a 480GB SSD,   not even close.   DCS will all maps and modules, won't even fill a 250GB SSD.      I think they definitely should change the recommended to  a dedicated 250GB SSD.

Creating a symbolic link is a single cmd command.   If you don't know how, just ask. 

Besides you've been around for a while now, you knew DCS was growing,  I don't understand why all of a sudden you are having an issue.     I am guessing you  ED installed on your OS SSD?? 

Sorry, but you are worng.  See attached. My OB install is 260Gb, and when you consider you need up to 60-70Gb of space for temporary update files, then a 500Gb drive is a requirement. (Symbolic links aside.)

ssd.jpg

Edited by imacken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

6 hours ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

Yes, awesome feature! DCS definitely has the best key bind system of any sim I've played, and I'm pretty sure I've played them all!

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. It is still lightyears behind what something like BMS offers (granted, with some external help) where you get full access to any combination of on-push/on-release triggers. The sad thing is that DCS does have that capability but doesn't expose it in the binds editor and you have to rely on ever-breaking mods or on the developer having the exact same idea you had about what combination switch should trigger which functions.

It could also stand to borrow a leaf out of E:D's book, with its “bind anything to anything” capabilities. Want to use an axis as a button? Just bind it. Want to use a button as an axis? Just bind it. Want split axes? Got those. In terms of what you can actually bind, that is my gold standard, and BMS' fine control of input triggers is a close second. DCS is… good enough for what it does, but it just has too many inconveniences and limitations and quirks (in particular its horrible restriction where some input devices simply can't be bound to anything except a limited set of functions for no good reason) to make it to the top.

This is just a simple QoL improvement to handle all the bind conflicts that most patches incur these days. That's also something they should try to fix, but this at least helps reduce the annoyance. Baby steps, but it's moving forward, which is always nice.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

13 hours ago, Dagger71 said:

DCS will all maps and modules, won't even fill a 250GB SSD

Yes it will, see below (and I don't own all modules - just most):

DCS Saved Games disk size 20201220.png

DCS World map size 20201220.png

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Maybe ED give us a gift for chrismasts updating to the new clouds for 12/23 patch... any chance?

Specially looking how many months we´re stuck with the same branch 2.5.6... at least I hope some eternal 2.5.6 bugs for VR will be fixed (for example some objects at some distances not rendered in left eye) 

• Like 2

Is it too much to ask that OB build 58125 and 59398 not be pushed to DCS stable version?

If those builds are pushed to DCS stable, there will be no way to fly an F14B that doesn't have a broken flight model for at least a month, if not longer.

I've already spent a month waiting(since 11/24/20) for the F14B FM fix on OB, so I'm not too keen on waiting for another month or longer.

Edited by Ur_A_Cop

6 hours ago, Ur_A_Cop said:

I'm not too keen on waiting for another month or longer

You don't have to wait. You don't have to update.

You can use any version you're happy with.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 12/19/2020 at 6:56 PM, Dagger71 said:

Well.  Ikarus takes about 160MB, the MFG config another 7MB or so.  There's at least 5MB in _.* folders in the DCS folder, but still way over 250 GB.  I'm missing a couple campaigns, and one or two Garmin mods, but otherwise I've got the whole hanger.  The only thing in DCS are the things DCS put there and a couple edited files I have to re-edit every time DCS updates.  I don't use any module managers, update managers, or other third party software apart from Voice Attack and SRS, but they live on the C:\ drive.

image.png

On 12/19/2020 at 7:56 PM, Dagger71 said:

DCS does  NOT required a 480GB SSD,   not even close.   DCS will all maps and modules, won't even fill a 250GB SSD.      I think they definitely should change the recommended to  a dedicated 250GB SSD.

Are you kidding me? You're absolutely wrong. I only own PG, NTTR, Syria, Hornet, Viper, and the P-51D modules (there a LOT more, you know) and that  maxed me out my 250 GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Just upgraded my ssd from 250 to 1TB.

PG, NTTR and Syria here, maps take the largest space on disk.

- "It's better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven"

Modules: A-4E-C Skyhawk, A-10C II Tank Killer, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B Harrier, F-14B Tomcat, F-15C Eagle, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet, MIG-21 Fishbed, MIG-29, SU-27, SU-33

Maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier

Rig: i7 4790 / Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix / 16GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz / 256 GB SSD / Windows 10

Setup: ThrustMaster TWCS Throttle, Titanwolf "Vulture" Stick, DelanClip PRO, Home-made universal Cockpit panel