DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

12 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

New clouds are nice, though they aren't quite working in VR, being apparently stuck on the lowest setting. 

Is that so? Not sure to be honest. Seems though as if switching to ultra settings doesn't change much optically, and performance is very good so far. 

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

8 minutes ago, DST said:

Is that so? Not sure to be honest. Seems though as if switching to ultra settings doesn't change much optically, and performance is very good so far. 

Same here. Even tried restarting.

I'm ok with it for now. Clouds don't explode. 😁

Almost forgot.

I LOVE the new DMS Maverick slew/lock feature for the A-10CII

Excellent addition.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I think this is quite obviously a bug/unfinished feature. It is to be expected that after a major version change, there will be a litany of patches aimed at polishing up features and fixing all the bugs that the huge new changes introduced. That's what OB is there for, after all. What you're experiencing is likely a bug, too. 

1 hour ago, NineLine said:

Its part of DCS now. We have added the Mask.

Yeah I noticed that on my monitor when I was flying in VR, I thought what the heck is going on lol.

Loving the new clouds and some of the new explosion effects, I found myself in an air to air battle just amazed watching the burning plane plummeting.  Also some nice sound improvements.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My own experience in VR has been absolutely stellar . Best update by far since 1.5x .

I am utterly blown away . ED knocked this one out of the park !

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I fly with reverb G2. I did nothing just see what would happen and im quite impressed with many of the new features with no noticeable degradation. I have 2080ti 32gb ram and the new 8086k at 5.1Ghz

Now ill check the settings and see how things change from base but im already impressed.

horses snorting fire as they ride on hear their cries

p51.jpg

• Like 1

Reminder to the more angsty among us, you downloaded a beta version of a major system update. You are literally mass guinea pigs. Report your specs, specific issues you seem to be having, and try to be actually productive. If you can't handle being a guinea pig, then give it a couple weeks for them to try to hammer out the worst issues. Otherwise, accept your ''launch day blues'' 😉 It was the same situation last time there was a major update. And before that. Almost... like...

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 7

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Appears to be crash happy when switching from one map to another.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Having tried it now I can say I seem to have decent performance so far. With my CV1, 3570k@4.4, 32GB, 1080 I'm pretty much locked to 45fps in my Caucasus training map and I've seen 30ish fps just before the update around Senaki. Also no noticable stutters. Some of the last 2.5.6 versions had some on my rig.

dcs-270-set-graphics2.jpg

Tried some of the cloud settings (the overcast rain 3 first, then two different somewhere in the middle and the next time I'll have the very first one), looks awesome, but I had lots of visibility problems. With the overcast setting, the clouds went down to the deck and raising the cloud base in the ME didn't seem to have any effect at all.
Also the haze seems to be just like before (something that affects mostly VR, especially low res HMDs), so I'd need that Mustang mod again. Although I still have to actually see it without clouds to be able to really compare. But I reckon I should be able to distinguish some landmarks that I can see in between the clouds - I can't. But well, that's nothing related to 2.7 changes, just something that hasn't been worked on.

Also, as some might know, I'm using VR controllers in the cockpit instead of the mouse. And basically, this here doesn't work anymore:

dcs-270-set-vr.jpg

I neither get the "laser pointer", nor the cross cursor at all, so I literally had to failback to using the mouse, which is pretty much a pain in the plot. Never ever took me so long to start up from a cold'n'dark, or just pressing some OSBs, turning some knobs etc.

Tried the new settings, initially with both the System Resolution thing and Crop checked. The mirror was stretched like some 4:3 videos are being distorted to 16:9 on YouTube. I was expecting to get a rectangular cut from the render shown as mirror, similar to what the Oculus Mirror puts out. Still have to test the settings though, next up as in the pic, then the resolution thing only and none of them (probably being just like it always had been).

Also, I did one sortie with the Harrier as I wanted to see the hotspot tracker. First thing I notices was my vision literally greenifying as soon as I wanted to switch the kneeboard pages. Only way to get rid of that was asking the ground crew to put the visor on. Kneeboard pages other than the initial one were impossible for me to get to (and now, as I think of it, I didn't try the mouse controls, that probably would have worked). And I didn't dare to try that while being airborne.

But the issues aside, that update is such a big step forward! Thankes ED and 3rd parties for making our sim better! Had a good time and was impressed a lot princess_celestia.png

• Like 3

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

VR is great.  No performance impact as feared. I do notice strange noises in F4 view. Almost musical in Tomcat while much more of a wind buffetting style sound in Hornet. 

Also notice if I look at the clouds closely I see them jitter a bit almost as if they're resynching. Nothing like the ruling around the old cotton balls would do.  First time breaking through the cloud layer on the Tomcat Syria Supercarrier Case I Instant Action though had a huge grin.  

Played around a bit in the ME and love the categories

Have had a few times where DCS stalled or though and seemed to freeze. Once trying to launch Reflected's Zone Five Pitching Deck mission. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Im on TrackIR/ monitor and it seems my fps took a big hit and many situations feel very stuttery.

Shadows work as shitty as before but I guess I will have to turn them off anyway to increase fps. 

Just invested 800e for a New 6700XT to be futureproof and now with 2.7 its worse than before.

Visually and soundwise a big improvement but Im not happy at all right now.

Fantastic step forward ED...keep up the good work!  Overall impression is that lots of little fixes are making a big improvement.  Things just run smoother and with less jitters or judders during flight and also in general during loading of missions.  With settings jacked all the way up, she sure looks sweat!

However, I am seeing a crash/freeze about every two to three missions especially when switching between maps/missions or changing settings and running a mission again.  Hope you can nail that one down...sorry not able to reproduce reliably.  

Edited by unltd

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

Clouds really transformed the game, but also kudos to ED and 3rd parties for all the fixes and improvements. This is one massive patch.

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Are any of you running multiple screens? On my primary screen I see jagged edges, masking, water looks like land, whereas on the secondary screen(s) it's OK.

Was wondering if it's something on my side or more of a general problem (latest driver and .fxo file generated).

2 hours ago, Wrcknbckr said:

Are any of you running multiple screens? On my primary screen I see jagged edges, masking, water looks like land, whereas on the secondary screen(s) it's OK.

Was wondering if it's something on my side or more of a general problem (latest driver and .fxo file generated).

Check out this thread here. Seems to be solved with SSAA (if your pc can handle it)

Fwiw, my initial feedback on the new clouds.

Issues (known):

1. I'm very glad ED added the "Known issues" list in their patch notes, because the jitter effect when looking at distant clouds is quite disturbing in VR. Great to see it has ED's highest priority. The jitter effect is so big, I think I'll just stick with either clear sky, or overcast (where this jitter effect is much less striking) until this is resolved. (edit: actually, the jitter is most extreme with "light scattered clouds", all other cloud presets are far less striking)
  2. Haven't tested extensively, but there appear to be no rain drops on my canopy in VR (I did make sure I was standing in the rain 😉) (edit: apparently this is only the case with "Overcast 3", Overcast 1 & 2 do have rain droplets on the canopy)

Performance (system specs in sig):

• At standard cloud setting - No noticeable effect on framerates (but obviously, the clouds look less good, especially around the cloud edges)
  • At high cloud setting - Minor effect on framerates (in the single digits). But I did notice some strange looking "stripes" in some clouds
  • At ultra cloud setting - ±10fps less then in 2.5, but holy crap, it looks great (I think I actually cried a little seeing those beautiful clouds during dusk time :tongue:)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

So far bit mixed feelings, there certainly are some performance improvements present, specially when viewing aircraft from external cameras. Even aboard the supercarrier external views seem to be quite silky smooth. In the cockpit, not so much, with same settings than 2.5.6 reprojection kick-in way more often, a lot more graphical anomalies that come with it. Clouds look bit bland, they seem to lack detail when compared even to mirror view. Still definitely better than the rotating stuff we had previously and the direction where we are heading is looking good. Of course one would always wish faster iterations and bigger increments but cannot rush quality. 

I think so far best thing I've come across is that initial ground targeting via HMD and then pass over to targeting pod finally works like it should.

Ryzen 5900X, MSI Gaming TrioX 3090, ASUS Rog Strix X570-E Gaming, 62GB Kingston HyperX @ 3600MHz, 2 X 1TB Samsung EVO M.2 NVMe, Watercooled with Kraken X62, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas w/ Deltasim Slew upgrade, HP Reverb Pro G1 V2

34 minutes ago, sirrah said:

1. Haven't tested extensively, but there appear to be no rain drops on my canopy in VR (I did make sure I was standing in the rain 😉)

Haven't even seen those in pancake (but still under a roof):

Screen_210414_225800.png.b17c5999b88c9d9

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

3 hours ago, Wali763 said:

Im on TrackIR/ monitor and it seems my fps took a big hit and many situations feel very stuttery.

Shadows work as shitty as before but I guess I will have to turn them off anyway to increase fps. 

Just invested 800e for a New 6700XT to be futureproof and now with 2.7 its worse than before.

Visually and soundwise a big improvement but Im not happy at all right now.

Have you done the usual troubleshooting? Latest drivers and so on? Settings?

Because the majority of experiences (including my own) seem to be performance gains (w/o clouds) and only neglectable to minor performance hits with different cloud settings.

I'm only talking non-VR here - since I don't use/own VR. I'm using TrackIR too.

Edited by Hiob
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

14 hours ago, j0nx said:

These clouds are gnarly. Sorry I said it. Lots of shimmer at the horizon and the clouds themselves are all blurry and weird looking. The colors are all wrong and the lighting effect they give is way off. Reminds me of the kind of light you get during an eclipse. Very diffuse. I hope they make some big improvements on this moving forward. Yikes. Is there a way to turn them off and go back to the old clouds?

There is always someone....

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

There is always someone....

Well, he is right in some points. The obvious patchnote mentioned known problems are there (shimmering in horizon etc) but on me the all the clouds does jump up/down by like 50-100 meters in various situations. It is pretty annoying in the mountain flying when the overcast coverage keeps pumping above you and it feels like you go up/don each time. 

The current templates for clouds does have very soft edges even at the highest detail. Hopefully we get possibility have sharper edges (higher definition) among the nice soft ones. 

And I noticed that previously I wanted to use 1.8 gamma, now I am at 2.2-2.3 as clouds look too dim/grey otherwise in direct sunlight (flying above clouds) but this hides all the top clouds forms as you can't any more see the shapes there and terrain becomes again too bright. And this causes as well situations where clouds shadows are way too soft. I am yet to go through all templates, but none of them has so far been giving me the realistic sharp shadow edges that are like 15-20 meters on ground. This is because clouds are too soft edged.

All kind clouds can have very sharp edges. From just a meter to ten meters. This is easily visible on the summer times when a cloud shadows moves as someone pulling a large cloth over the terrain. Or that rain cuts like a razor on ground, like someone would have drawn line with a stick that what is side for full rain and what is side for no rain at all. It is like stepping out from the shower or under the umbrella for sun shade. 

ED is of course developing further these things and fixing problems. But start is excellent. I might have been hasty but I today deleted the 2.5.6 installations (both open and stable) as 2.7 is way too good looking to go back. 

ps. Surprisingly the antialiasing and DP increasement made the ugly horizon shimmering go almost completely away. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Posted earlier my specs are there.

So far only in the A-10, but maps like Persian Gulf on High Cloud settings (most other stuff high). A new Simulator, an entirely new experience.

It just keeps getting better and better.

I am truly stymied by some of the complaints. Not that I don't believe them, but my specs are mid to high mid range, and I am getting better performance than people with better rigs. I am Track IR though, not VR so maybe that is it.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Comment box did it again, replaced all the text and quotes from a post that was done hour earlier and slapped a attachment in to it....

25 minutes ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

A new Simulator, an entirely new experience.

It just keeps getting better and better.

It sure does. The DCSW got like completely new element to Air-to-Air, Air-to-Ground and Surface-to-Air navigation, combat and everything.

I am truly stymied by some of the complaints. Not that I don't believe them, but my specs are mid to high mid range, and I am getting better performance than people with better rigs. I am Track IR though, not VR so maybe that is it.

My settings are below. Almost all maxed out. I get on the Rift S a constant 40/80 FPS depending map or area. Only time when FPS drops below 40 is when example firing with gunpods on Mi-8 a 5 second burst and the bullets hit the ground and all the dust effects appear. That is when FPS drops to slideshow effect. But that has been so almost always, sometimes it is and sometimes not. 

But this 2.7 update has been like major performance boost for overall flying. 

I do experience slow downs at single digits in two cases:

1) Adding a aircraft module on map in mission editor. On moment it is clicked on map it takes 10-15 seconds run at 1-2 FPS until it appears there and all is fine again. 

Previously this happened only in the AMMO tab on right when 3D model was loaded and it took like 5 seconds to load the model.  So this has to do with new 3D model preview and loadout panel.

2) When selecting aircraft to fly in mission start, 10-15 seconds goes when I see only a HUD and display symbols floating in air. Then suddenly the cockpit appears and all is fine. In example MiG-21Bis I had half of the aircraft, seeing through to nosewheel and radar cone. All is functional and operational by rendering wise but cant click anything and only fly smoothly, until cockpit appears. 

Settings_1.jpg

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, Fri13 said:

The current templates for clouds does have very soft edges even at the highest detail. Hopefully we get possibility have sharper edges (higher definition) among the nice soft ones. 

Yes indeed, in VR at least that's my experience as well.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Worth noting maybe...

I flip between the F-16, FA-18 and the A-10C II. Of the 3, on the same map, I get the highest frametime and lesser fps in the A-10C II. (likely due to the TGP and Mav MFD)

With FA-18, it's butter.

--Arthur C Clark