DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

Not a fan of it either, but I think unless there are some serious changes it's here to stay. It doesn't help that the map changes require entire maps to (re)download, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

DCS: Supercarrier by Eagle Dynamics

Update to the deck crew that includes improved meshes and geometry tweaks:

• The airboss model has been improved with improved hands and removed beer belly.

Welcome to the perfect world.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Not a fan of it either, but I think unless there are some serious changes it's here to stay. It doesn't help that the map changes require entire maps to (re)download, but it is what it is.

Yeah Im not overly fussed, just a niggle really

Hi all,

"Caucasus map textures have been improved with help and cooperation of community members LucShep and PicksKing." Anyone have some feedback? i´d like to read some thoughts about this. I usually use Barthek ground textures and are a must have for me.

Thank you.

Regards,

F

• Like 2

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

P-47

Minor update to the primer position

It's true. The Primer handle is no longer upside down.

: /

Was it screwed on upside down in the real thing the day the artist took notes? Inquiring minds ...

Edited by -0303-
  • Like 1

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Whatchu talk'n bout Willis?

😕

disabled.PNG

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

9 hours ago, sirrah said:

I think Bignewy underestimates our F5 capabilities 😅

I see his error. We do have MiG28 keys.

7 hours ago, Bagpipe said:

Well it is telling me 50GB disk space isn't enough. Guess i will have to uninstall terrains and reinstall after.

Cracking update by the looks but, and there's always a but

Not a fan of this way of updating, it requires way too much disk space in reserve. @Eagle Dynamics

I was wise and freed up my drive (again) to have around 160GB free of space. Dark Souls trilogy had to be moved to HDD now (since E:D grew so big with the Horizons update), was almost 50GB.

The only wish I have it that the installer would tell us before starting the update process: How big is the DL (packed), how much space will it need while installing in total (packed PLUS unpacked) and maybe also how much more DCS will be after it's done.

6 hours ago, gulredrel said:

"Helicopters AI. Added ability to follow ground or naval units with same speed in the follow task."

Sounds good, aircraft carrier SAR helicopter without the need for scripting. Thanks

Finally! One of those small, but great things.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

8 hours ago, fagulha said:

Hi all,

"Caucasus map textures have been improved with help and cooperation of community members LucShep and PicksKing." Anyone have some feedback? i´d like to read some thoughts about this. I usually use Barthek ground textures and are a must have for me.

Thank you.

Regards,

F

They look fantastic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Any idea why I had to redownload 3 aircraft, Supercarrier and 3 terrains?

And why are they ending up in these HUGE backup folders?

BU.PNG

I just finished a complete redownload/install 5 days ago.

ED.PNG

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

5 hours ago, Sr. said:

Any idea why I had to redownload 3 aircraft, Supercarrier and 3 terrains?

How it works is the installer checks your current files and if any of them needs update or is found with wrong CRC it is backed up and new file is downloaded.

Possible causes: mods, own modifications and files, disk errors... virus...

After all is good and tested you can delete _backup folders (check if you really need any files recovered from them first) and _downloads content, if anything is left there.

Please make proper bug report next time: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/484-installation-problems/

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I really wish they had spaced their updates out some more. There was zero reason to dump Cyprus and the Hind into the same update. This only causes each update to take up an absurd amount of HD space. 

I'm on Steam, in part because it's slightly smarter about these things than ED's own launcher, and I still had to free up a few GB. Not cool. Most people have DCS on an SSD, and space constraints are a serious consideration. 

9 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I really wish they had spaced their updates out some more. There was zero reason to dump Cyprus and the Hind into the same update. This only causes each update to take up an absurd amount of HD space. 

I'm on Steam, in part because it's slightly smarter about these things than ED's own launcher, and I still had to free up a few GB. Not cool. Most people have DCS on an SSD, and space constraints are a serious consideration. 

Good grief! You’re complaining about having too many new features?  How much does a 500Gb SSD cost these days? £40?

• Like 6

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

8 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

and if they did there would be a boat load of people complaining about the tempo of releases not being fast enough...  Also the " I dont have the hind, why should i wait for cyprus and visa versa" is also a valid concern... and frankly why should they have to wait another week or two...  its kind of loose loose for ED.

• Like 6

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Now it´s time to blame about too many new features on a single patch, this is getting hilarious...

• Like 7

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

14 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

You could have deleted and disabled Syria before the update and then redownloaded it after? 60gb isn't really that absurd anymore....

• Like 4

@speed-of-heat Hey Speed, did you notice any changes in the performance of the game in general, and in Syria in particular in VR compared to the previous few patches? 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

42 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I'm on Steam, in part because it's slightly smarter about these things than ED's own launcher...

The updates are optional, at least in standalone.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The point isn't not to get an update, the point is to get it piecemeal so that it doesn't require too much empty space on the SSD. Mind you, this space will sit idle 90% of the time, so it is a concern. I paid for a 500GB M.2 SSD to have 500GB of storage, not 400.

I ended up creating a symlink so that Steam doesn't download stuff to SSD, but that's not something most people know how to do. That'll make installing things even slower than it already is, but I can live with that.

58 minutes ago, Vakarian said:

Then buy more storage space. It's not cool asking for features to be dumped because few people lack storage

Not dumped, spread out. Even across two days would have sufficed. It's not like there's a law that all DCS updates must be on Wednesday. Or even better, download and install the core update first, then immediately start updating each module in turn. Not a solution for Steam users, but Steam is more efficient with HD space, anyway.

Also, spreading out updates helps with troubleshooting. If you can pin a bug down to one specific update, that's great, but if that update changes half the game, then it's less great than it could be. 

Edited by Dragon1-1

Well, obviously I'm not actually going to fill it to the very top (well, guess what, DCS had just done that with this update...). Besides, it's a system+VR drive, everything else takes place on a large HDD. The point is, DCS is starting to require an inordinate amount of space to just sit idle in case a big update happens by, which is a problem in my book. 60GB is far more than you need to keep a 0.5TB SSD in good shape.

25 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I paid for a 500GB M.2 SSD to have 500GB of storage, not 400.

You paid for 500, got 440, and probably shouldn't go higher than 400 to keep the performance and usability.

They can spread the updates all the way but you'll still hit the wall when you're out of space, and it's not devs' fault.