DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

Just gave an update a try:

the good:

- the water looks awesome now. It's actually possible to discern where it is from the altitude instead of looking in to a dark blue void.

- the water splashes are fixed! No more depth charges.

- the ME sun/moon cycle is super neat, you no longer need to guess the position of both celestial bodies in your mission, just set it to how you want it and it just works.

the not so good:

- The 2 second delay for bomb arming:  this one escaped me. I've tried in A8 and there is no noticeable delay in bomb explosion after the drop. My aircraft still gets damaged like before. It'd be nice to get a clarification in which use cases this actually works.

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 1

Is it just me or did the oceans get more realistic texturing? It looks like they added those smooth spots and rough spots you see when looking out towards the horizon and it looks amazing.

50 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

I've tried in A8 and there is no noticeable delay in bomb explosion after the drop

You would need to test at an altitude low enough that the bomb hits the ground before 2 seconds. I think many people are confusing the arming delay with delayed fusing. This arming delay should only prevent colliding bombs from exploding within the first 2 seconds of fall, fixing the issues many people had with dropping Snakeeyes and the Mossie's twin bombs in the bomb bay. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 5

Never mind, if one does not fly VR, one does not know the importance of VR shaders. And the “out-of-date shaders”, turns out the latest OB breaks them.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

@VFGiPJP @Convexrook Guys, it's silly to expect external apps and mods working right after the new update of DCS. The modders and app creators need time on the new version to make changes and test to make their software compatible and updated too. So unless they are involved in close beta testing they have no way to make it working right away.

• Like 9

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

ED encrypted Bazar\shaders\metshaders directory this time around... which of course is their right, but will break a lot of mods that relied on changing those files in main game for performance or image quality reasons (@draconus to the best of my knowledge there is no way to "fix" those mods other than to stop using those changes)

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

AIM-120 AMRAAM has received a separate INS (Inertial Navigation System) unit with datalink support. The missile seeker model has been completely revised. The radar dish now uses a realistically gyro stabilized gimbal that is controlled by the INS before target lock.

a realistically gyro stabilized gimbal

<cough> <cough> <cough>

Edited by -0303-
  • Like 1

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

The water shaders do look amazing, but to me it already looked great. Unrelated to the great shaders I'm kind of sad that ED caved to the people who want the unrealistic huge waves on the open sea so that they can have an indication of how high they are flying. From 40 thousand feet you should not be seeing waves. As usual the vocal minority always wins...

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

AIM-120 AMRAAM - An active missile seeker, like that in the AIM-120, will have its detection and tracking lock range based on physical calculations of noise and target signal ratio (which in turn depends on target RCS or ECM power and range). Target search and tracking is based on doppler velocity filtering (introduced realistic velocity gate), and the radar will search for a target near the target reference velocity provided by the INS

Hi @BIGNEWY I have an question for ED devs, if you can pass it to them:

Pitbull range now depends on target RCS or ECM power. As far as Im aware of DCS RCS values (the comparism chart for all aircraft is around forum somewhere), some of these values are very VERY strange, like JF-17 RCS only 3sqm when F-16 have 4sqm - so JF-17 is RCS 25% better only beacause it has special engine inlet? Im just thinking: Both aircraft same size, F-16 better slick shape from sides. Both made from simillar materials - considering price and technological level of Block50, JF-17 use less composites. F-16 intake have special shape, so the fan blades can be seen only from very limited angle. I will not take in consider pylons and weapons since DCS code is not calculating with them.

,or when comparing MiG-21 = 3sqm and F-5E = 5sqm. Here the MiG-21 RCS is exact 65% better, how? why? Very simillar size and frontal crosssection area.

For example Hornets radar max. detection range with MiG and F-5. the difference is only aroun 6nm. Why they are not detected at same range, by any airborne/ground radar or seeker?

I really would like to know, If ED have plan to revise all the RCS values and add partional RCS values also to pylons and weapons - same way as drag coeficients are now counted.

Doppler velocity gate speed value - So many radars in game... I gues that only very old ones the values from its documentation can be obtained. But where the ED get the values for all other more modern ones? Are they only guesed based on technological value of the producer at time of design? or its just general number in DCS, like the Sigma (maximum miss radius for missile guidance) for MRSAM or LRSAM all of them regardless on radar type equals to Sigma = 50 meters (Except the SA-5 with only around 14m).

Now The AIM-120 AMRAAM with Update mentioned "introduced realistic velocity gate", really. You ED have the source of such data and approved by Raytheon company? Or is only a typo and you wanted to write "more realistic" which can be understood as now being closer to what someone educated in missile seekers guesed as "close to real" value? I would be OK with it 🙂

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, draconus said:

@VFGiPJP @Convexrook Guys, it's silly to expect external apps and mods working right after the new update of DCS. The modders and app creators need time on the new version to make changes and test to make their software compatible and updated too. So unless they are involved in close beta testing they have no way to make it working right away.

I understand and they have been broken before. I appreciate all whom spend their valuable time and effort in making the game much better. If I mentioned any expectation, I would be puzzled.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

9 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

I do it that every patch and after any config alteration. Sadly the patch has tipped my old rig over the side when it comes to carrier ops. Unless I want empty decks. Which I dont.  Im not complaining. I think its a good patch but as Im dependent on vsync and was already balancing on 60 fps with my old I5/GTX1080 its tanked me on deck to 30fps in the F14 which beyond my tolerance graphically. Fine for most other things (outside of the channel) but hey ho.  

I never use empty decks too and of course it can tank your performance. I would like to have my deck with Tomcats but it´s one aircraft that hit my perfomance (i´m a Hornet guy also). I used to have a F-14 cockpit md that was performance friend, do you have it? makes a difference. 

I use this two: 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303917/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304383/

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

1 hour ago, GumidekCZ said:

Hi @BIGNEWY I have an question for ED devs, if you can pass it to them:

Now The AIM-120 AMRAAM with Update mentioned "introduced realistic velocity gate", really. You ED have the source of such data and approved by Raytheon company? Or is only a typo and you wanted to write "more realistic" which can be understood as now being closer to what someone educated in missile seekers guesed as "close to real" value? I would be OK with it 🙂

Radar technology is public knowledge. Are you getting exact implementation of missile's radar and signal processing? 100% not. It is still close enough for entertaining purposes.

• Like 2

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

14 hours ago, Angelthunder said:

This update looks like it's finally introduced towed field artillery for WWII but is it usable in ME or is it static only.Also will ED finally create vehicles to carry them and will we get modern field arty alongside SP Artillery in the future.

Towed artillery can be use on ME as artillery (on german and US forces) on ME without problem. Towed funtionality has on progress by ED to towed artillery, AAA and trailers.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fagulha said:

I never use empty decks too and of course it can tank your performance. I would like to have my deck with Tomcats but it´s one aircraft that hit my perfomance (i´m a Hornet guy also). I used to have a F-14 cockpit md that was performance friend, do you have it? makes a difference. 

I use this two: 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303917/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304383/

Thanks for the tips fagulha. I tend to avoid shader mods. Ive used many in the past but few make me happy. Solution for me was to go easy on the eye candy and not cram as much into everything. In my "stress Test" mission have over 100 objects on the deck if you include all the chocks, extinguishers, tractors, crew etc plus about 20 AI doing various AI things (badly) including landing and massed take offs.  Removing 3 tomcats from Jurrassic Park brought to fps back up enough for even F14 missions to run smooth on the deck (I spawn to the rear of the carrier facing this area).

Ive only just put DCS back into my living room after about 6 months away so am also in the process of deciding which bit of outboard gear I NEED and which i simply want (space is not very generous even with an understanding family). Once thing I did notice is just how much Track IR introduces stutters thanks to its 60 hz refresh demands. Without it even the vsync'd halfed refresh 30 fps was smooth using a mouse. Guess there is no cheap solution for that one.  

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

8 hours ago, Nealius said:

You would need to test at an altitude low enough that the bomb hits the ground before 2 seconds.

yup, that's exactly how I'm doing it, I'm almost performing a touch-n-go when dropping the bomb, albeit at 550km/h.

Maybe this change is for the Allied planes only? Although I did read in the Mossie forum section that they are seeing exactly the same behavior...

Edited by peachmonkey

39 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

Thanks for the tips fagulha. I tend to avoid shader mods. Ive used many in the past but few make me happy. Solution for me was to go easy on the eye candy and not cram as much into everything. In my "stress Test" mission have over 100 objects on the deck if you include all the chocks, extinguishers, tractors, crew etc plus about 20 AI doing various AI things (badly) including landing and massed take offs.  Removing 3 tomcats from Jurrassic Park brought to fps back up enough for even F14 missions to run smooth on the deck (I spawn to the rear of the carrier facing this area).

Ive only just put DCS back into my living room after about 6 months away so am also in the process of deciding which bit of outboard gear I NEED and which i simply want (space is not very generous even with an understanding family). Once thing I did notice is just how much Track IR introduces stutters thanks to its 60 hz refresh demands. Without it even the vsync'd halfed refresh 30 fps was smooth using a mouse. Guess there is no cheap solution for that one.  

They´re not shader mods but reduced textures of the cockpit and better readability for the cockpit if you wish.

Yes i understand you, i spent hours adding chocks, holdback bars, crews, tractors, ammo. From my experience with (extreme) populated deck, if you add a lot of AI taking off/landing that will hurt your performance by a lot. You can have a lot of statics but sometimes adding some AI units with advanced waypoints will be a bigger performance hit.

How you spawn on the rear of the deck? you mean in the elevator or near the roundown?

I use statics carefully placed so i can spawn in elevators or other places than default ones, but i wish i can spawn near the roundown for example.

Glad you sorted out for better performance 🙂

• Thanks 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

So this is what I have:

Frametime in ms  Delta From Baseline  
Ver Test Baseline GPU CPU GPU CPU  Changes
2.7.6.13133 82 Test 75 9.52 8.55     Average for Baseline 2.7.6, FSR1.1, Windows 11, Hotfix Shaders
2.7.7.14727 96 Test 82 10.91 8.32 -1.40 0.24 2.7.7, Simplex Shaders, No terrain shadows

2.7.7 is slower, about 1.4ms  on GPU  about .5ms of that is as a result of the simplex shaders, that equates to a drop of about 6fps in total. Note however there is small CPU improvement, close to be margin of error but also likely to be the result of the simplex shaders on previous testing.

I had to turn off terrain shadows to make it comparable, as mustangs shadow removal mod can no longer work. 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

10 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

the ME sun/moon cycle is super neat, you no longer need to guess the position of both celestial bodies in your mission, just set it to how you want it and it just works

Yes indeed, it's a very welcome feature. It saves a lot of time when making missions: no longer do we have to set a time, load in the mission just to check the sun's position, exit to ME again, make a small change, load back in, etc etc...

And yes the new water shaders look incredibly good, even in VR :thumbup:

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

10 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

- the ME sun/moon cycle is super neat, you no longer need to guess the position of both celestial bodies in your mission, just set it to how you want it and it just works.

Did anyone test if ED also got rid of the hardcoded 1 hour delay between sunset and moonrise?
It used to be, that whatever date you set, after sunset there was 1h of delay between moon started "working". I am not sure if moonrise was hardcoded +1h after sunset, or if moon was already up, but not emitting any light. Anyway it was a major issue for many, many years that made transition between day and night very painful because of the 1h of pure blackness (same issue with setting moon and sunrise)...

I really hope they finally fixed this. Can't test for myself because i'm on stable...

Edited by twistking
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, twistking said:

Did anyone test if ED also got rid of the hardcoded 1 hour delay between sunset and moonrise?
It used to be, that whatever date you set, after sunset there was 1h of delay between moon started "working". I am not sure if moonrise was hardcoded +1h after sunset, or if moon was already up, but not emitting any light. Anyway it was a major issue for many, many years that made transition between day and night very painful because of the 1h of pure blackness (same issue with setting moon and sunrise)...

I really hope they finally fixed this. Can't test for myself because i'm on stable...

wasn't aware of this issue, I'll test it tonight..

if you look at the video explaining this new feature the sun<-to->moon phase transfer shows both celestial objects on the horizon...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

wasn't aware of this issue, I'll test it tonight..

if you look at the video explaining this new feature the sun<-to->moon phase transfer shows both celestial objects on the horizon...

this gives me hope!

however, i think at one point it was so that both celestial bodys could be seen, but there was still that 1h delay between "switching" of the shadow-casting light source.
you'd see the moon up in the sky, but the ground would still be completely black and only after roughly 1h the moon would "switch on".

i hope it is fixed now, because otherwise, you are now aware of that issue and it will ruin your enjoyment of dusk/dawn flying 😉

thanks for testing it!!!

1 hour ago, fagulha said:

How you spawn on the rear of the deck? you mean in the elevator or near the roundown?

Sorry, I meant the elevator opposite the superstructure. 

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.