DCS World Patch Notes Discussion Thread

BIGNEWY

8 hours ago, Nealius said:

It isn't spherical? Illumination appears to replicate a spherical model, since you can take off in darkness and as you climb to altitude you get lit up by the sunset as if you wound back time.

I know the map is definitely flat, there is a shader at high altitude that gives you the illusion that it's spherical.

But if you can climb and be illuminated by the sun, then perhaps they've modelled the sun and the moon as it would be expected on a spherical Earth.

I don't know, just a hunch.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

5 hours ago, Nealius said:

Those aren't the standard wand-styled controllers, are they?

Wand-style? What do you mean by that?

It are the standard hand controllers.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

3 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Wand-style? What do you mean by that?

It are the standard had controllers.

The things you hold like a wand with buttons....I thought "touch controller" meant gloves that enable you to actually "touch" things in the game rather than point a laser pointer at it and press a button.

No no, the regular hand controllers that come standard with the headset.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Any idea anything major we would see tomorrow update?

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

10 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

about 10 fps hopefully

• Like 4

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

37 minutes ago, VFGiPJP said:

After a big patch, there are typically some minor hotfix/troubleshooting patches.

Don‘t expect something big, and don’t expect the fps-issue to be solved, yet. (no one is against positive surprises of course)

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Lighting was screwed up on the F-14, so hopefully that's fixed.  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Expect no AH-64D either...

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 10/23/2021 at 2:05 AM, Northstar98 said:

I know the map is definitely flat, there is a shader at high altitude that gives you the illusion that it's spherical.

But if you can climb and be illuminated by the sun, then perhaps they've modelled the sun and the moon as it would be expected on a spherical Earth.

I don't know, just a hunch.

I'm pretty sure they edge update refigured their system and the maps are now modeled based on a spherical earth.  I think they also mentioned that they didn't or maybe wouldn't re-model Caucasus to take advantage...  but as I recall all other maps save maybe Nevada are spherical.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

11 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

I'm pretty sure they edge update refigured their system and the maps are now modeled based on a spherical earth.  I think they also mentioned that they didn't or maybe wouldn't re-model Caucasus to take advantage...  but as I recall all other maps save maybe Nevada are spherical.

The coordinates system leaves in evidence that none of the maps are spherical.

I might be wrong but that's how I see it.

• Like 2

Stay safe

7 hours ago, M1Combat said:

I'm pretty sure they edge update refigured their system and the maps are now modeled based on a spherical earth.

Any source or even a sign to confirm your theory?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

11 hours ago, M1Combat said:

All I've seen so far is that EDGE might support spherical maps, but current maps are flat, and as such things like vectors (for things like forces) will reference a cartesian coordinate system, they would need to reference a spherical coordinate system to work on a spherical Earth.

There are workarounds employed to replicate certain effects to simulate a spherical Earth, such as RADAR LOS and a shader at high altitude, and maybe things like the moon, sun and stars, but the maps themselves are all shaped as if the Earth was flat.

One of NineLine's comments seems to confirm this.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.