Landing Gear Sounds

Bob1943

Just recently bought the F/A-18 module. Perhaps I missed something in the Control panel settings, but I don't hear any kind of sound when the landing gear is extending or retracting.

Does this module include a sound track for landing gear operation?

It's there, but it's quiet compared to the sound of the engines, the ECS, and all the electrical systems running, especially if you have the 'hear like in helmet' option enabled.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Thanks Wags. That was also my experience from the USAF fighters that I flew. The vibration effects were noticeable in the cockpit.

I adjusted some of the DCS audio settings and was finally able to hear a very subtle "low frequency whirring" sound when the landing gear was actuated.

The fact that we don't feel anything seems a good reason to boost the volume, despite it not being strictly realistic.

I thought I'd read that the speedbrake isn't audible IRL, but it certainly is in DCS. If that's true there's some consistency issues going on.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Raises the question of what you're defining as 'hearing' the speedbrake. Are you referring to the sound of the motion of the speedbrake, or the sound of the air acting against it?

I'm not trying to prove/disprove a point, just asking for clarity so we can resolve a definitive answer.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

That's why JetSeat is so nice to have when flying DCS modules - you get some satisfying tactile feedback from it for all kinds of actions, including the landing gear dropping and locking into place.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

In addition to the T-37 & T-38 during pilot training, I flew the F-111, F-100, and A-37 (also a little back-seat F4 time with the Fighter Weapons School instructors at Nellis). Speedbrake operation was similar to the landing gear, i.e., mostly the vibration caused by the air load on the speedbrake and the very subtle deceleration sensation of moving slightly forward against the seat straps for a second or two. Not really any hydraulic operation sounds that could be heard in the cockpit during flight.

Yes, something like the JetSeat would be the answer to get that tactile sensation that these systems were operating. Only other option would be to put in an unrealistically enhanced sound that could compensate for the absence of the real-life cockpit vibration sensation. Maybe an audio slider that could be moved to enhance (or lessen), to the user's preference, the magnitude of sound associated with the operation of these systems.

The fact that we don't feel anything seems a good reason to boost the volume, despite it not being strictly realistic.

I thought I'd read that the speedbrake isn't audible IRL, but it certainly is in DCS. If that's true there's some consistency issues going on.

Exactly. This is a sim and there need to be certain allowances for the lack of feel.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Hi Bob,

Based on input from the pilots, you much more feel the gear being cycled than hear it.

Thanks

Hi Wags

I’ve recently got a Buttkicker vibration module and noticed that on the F18 the gear going up and down do not trigger the Buttkickers vibration or clunks as the gear locks down or up.

The F14 on the other hand has really noticeable effects that come through to let you know the gear is in transition, locked up or down.

Since this is triggered by DCS module sounds, would there be a way to get a more noticeable gear sound for the F18-C?

• ED Team

Dear all. Yes, this is a bug. now FA18 using the old sound of the electrical gear system. But in FA18 we have a hydraulic landing gear system. And the sound should be ..... even quieter :)

We'll fix that )

But since the old sound system is used, the "FairingDoor" sounds of the gear system and Gear Lock sounds do not play. We'll add it. I hope that these sounds will help you feel the moment when the movement of the mechanism start or ends.

Thanks for your report

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

Only other option would be to put in an unrealistically enhanced sound that could compensate for the absence of the real-life cockpit vibration sensation.

This is what Heatblur chose to do with the sounds in the F-14. It would be cool to see it as a global user-settable slider for all modules though.

Dear all. Yes, this is a bug. now FA18 using the old sound of the electrical gear system. But in FA18 we have a hydraulic landing gear system. And the sound should be ..... even quieter :)

We'll fix that )

But since the old sound system is used, the "FairingDoor" sounds of the gear system and Gear Lock sounds do not play. We'll add it. I hope that these sounds will help you feel the moment when the movement of the mechanism start or ends.

Thanks for your report

Thanks btd ,

That will be a great addition.

Thanks for spending the time on it.

Cheers

+1 for simshaker software with butt kicker. With this peripheral, you can feel all sorts of things that make flying more enjoyable (landing gear, touch down, taxi bumps, G force, weapon release, flap movement, etc.).

If simshaker software wasn’t available, but kicker is mostly pointless.

• 5 weeks later...

Personally I'm loving the additional feedback of the afterburner "fake" sound option.

Small things like this allow us some feedback of what's going on, and detail sounds are very useful no matter how "unrealistic" they may be.

I'd be okay with things going either way.

It would be nice to have a global option to have "additional unrealistic noises" for things like the gear, air brakes, (do tail hooks whistle?), AB lighting, etc.

edit - I just realized Bunny said the same thing. A slider, even as low as 3-way option would be nice.... and would be nice if it were truly global, including third-party addons.

In XPlane11 there are mods that can add multiple sound effects and overlayed to your liking which is HUGE.

In the racing sims, sounds are a make or break it situation on the edge of grip, DCS can be the same way at times. Telltale sounds no matter how unrealistic are a great option for those of us without feedback systems.

But have it AS an option is great for those that DO have feedback systems.

Thanks btd.

Edited by XCNuse