Rift S frametime spike and stuttering

Flyingfish

I was wondering if anyone could help. In the last week I've started having problems with stutters while using my rift s. It happens approximately every 20 or 30 seconds and is quite a jarring experience. I've been monitoring GPU usage and frame time and every time there is a frame time spike there is a dip in GPU usage. I'm not sure if this makes sense but it's almost as if the GPU has a little rest which causes a frame time spike. I hadn't had this problem at all before and it didn't start after any changes, although I have since reinstalled oculus home and nvidia drivers, all to no avail.

The problem also occurs while playing Elite Dangerous in VR but strangely not IL2 Sturmovic. I've also tried a 2d game which kept the GPU usage constantly over 90% without frame time spikes so it doesn't seem to me that it's a GPU problem. Just to reiterate the stutter occurs alongside a frame time spike and a dip in GPU usage. There's no CPU spike during this either.

My specs are

RTX 2080 super

I7 9700K

32 GB DDR 4 ram at 3200 mhz

1 tb SSD

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

RTX 4090, AMD 5800x3D, 32GB Ram 

I was wondering if anyone could help. In the last week I've started having problems with stutters while using my rift s. It happens approximately every 20 or 30 seconds and is quite a jarring experience. I've been monitoring GPU usage and frame time and every time there is a frame time spike there is a dip in GPU usage. I'm not sure if this makes sense but it's almost as if the GPU has a little rest which causes a frame time spike. I hadn't had this problem at all before and it didn't start after any changes, although I have since reinstalled oculus home and nvidia drivers, all to no avail.

The problem also occurs while playing Elite Dangerous in VR but strangely not IL2 Sturmovic. I've also tried a 2d game which kept the GPU usage constantly over 90% without frame time spikes so it doesn't seem to me that it's a GPU problem. Just to reiterate the stutter occurs alongside a frame time spike and a dip in GPU usage. There's no CPU spike during this either.

My specs are

RTX 2080 super

I7 9700K

32 GB DDR 4 ram at 3200 mhz

1 tb SSD

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I haven't been able to play the last couple months, but I fired DCS back up today and experienced exactly what you described. I get the little hour glass every 20 to 30 seconds.

I never remember that before. The game was always smooth as silk before.

Sadly, I have no solution.

Just tried again. No luck. Unplayable.

I counted this time, and there are very consistent stutters that occur 35 or 40 seconds apart, indefinitely.

Thanks for the reply Bluecat. My problem seems to be slightly different from yours. I don't get the stuttering quite as consistently as you and also not for long enough to get the hour glass, just a fraction of a second for me. Have you tried any other VR games and does it still occur with those games?

I don't thinks it's a driver issue as the problem didn't start after a driver update, but when I get a chance I'll try some older drivers and see if that makes a difference.

There has been a lot of changes with the open beta, then again you don't mention being on it, so I'm mostly just assuming that you are.

With 2.5.6 a lot of changes was introduced to maps and series of shaders, if you are still running the old shader cache from before, this should be automatically taken care of but often seems to need a little help,

This also means that the old Kegety's VR shader mod IS NOT COMPATIBLE there is a new one out if you must.

I recommended when updating to 2.5.6 to wipe all pre calculated shaders, remove all mods, just delete all folders containing mods you have installed, and run a DCS repair.

Patching processes can also go wrong, and they very often do, so running a repair is not a bad idea regardless.

This current beta also has issues with most custom scripted missions, my own basic target practice mission I barely notice any difference apart from the increased saturation on 2.5.6.

Missions with heavier scripting though are in some form of utter ruin.

If these things don't help try switching to stable. I still think most people should be on stable, but I guess people really need to mount the hornet pod on the side station.

The main shader caches are by default "c:\users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta"

in the folders "fxo" and "metashaders2"

Even just updating a driver could require a shader recalculation so if something has gotten between dcs's built in process for this it's a good idea to wipe these anyway.

After doing this the first couple of map loads will be longer than usual.

I honestly don't have all that much difference in performance between the 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 if I also account for not running the VR shaders mod so it's definitely possible.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

This also means that the old Kegety's VR shader mod IS NOT COMPATIBLE there is a new one out if you must.

Got a link to this? Search in the DCS download section is not exactly on par.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

OK I think I figured mine out. My antivirus software installed an update about a month ago that I'd forgotten about, and it was running some sort of operation in the background. I turned that off and it seems to be running normally again.

I had the same issue on my Rift S the last time I fired it up (about a month ago, since I am in the middle of a move). Regular stutters approximately 20-30 secs apart. All drivers and Oculus software up to date. I tried the beta branch of Oculus as well with no change. Slowly getting my PC back up and running, so I will provide updates if I have any.

Also, my Index is supposed to arrive today, so here is hoping for a better experience there.

I've re-installed oculus home, I've tried different nvidia drivers and I've re-installed both Elite Dangerous and DCS (the beta before 2.5.6) but unfortunately the problem is still the same. In fact I've noticed I get the stuttering in the menu screen of both games as well. I don't however get the problem with No mans sky, Echo VR or IL2.

Any ideas what I could try next?

I've re-installed oculus home, I've tried different nvidia drivers and I've re-installed both Elite Dangerous and DCS (the beta before 2.5.6) but unfortunately the problem is still the same. In fact I've noticed I get the stuttering in the menu screen of both games as well. I don't however get the problem with No mans sky, Echo VR or IL2.

Have you tried disabling Anti Virus program, or setting an exception for DCS in it?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just a question: When you go into Oculus Home (just pick the standard home, that should do it), do you have stutter also when moving your head?

Edit: looked over the fact that you don't seem to have a problem with No mans sky, Echo VR or IL2.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks

anything else than DCS using heavily the network? Do you have possibility to monitor the traffic?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 2 weeks later...