MiG-23MLA external model WIP

OverStratos

Great read !

F-14 vs MiG-23 1v1 is not a fair fight, the F-14 is clearly better in both BVR and WVR, there is nothing to argue...

BUT

Wiki says that an F-14A in 1977 cost 19.2 million USD, while the MiG-23 between 3.6 to 6.6 million

If that is accurate, then you could buy 3-5 MiG-23 for the price of 1 F-14A, and production numbers reflect that.

Based on that I'd say that a 1v4 scenario should be considered when talking about MiG-23 vs US 4th gens like the F-14 or the F-15

Judging by the report from the Libyan MiG-23 pilot above, although the Tomcat had somewhat superior ACM characteristics, the MiG-23 apparently could give it a hard time also.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

You guys are silly. The Razbam models are exquisite.

The proof? It triggers OCD! Using a magnifier to question depth of the paint chipping.. *blink*

I mean, if this model triggers people to start talking about the governing dynamics of paint or how many coats of paint is historically accurate, Youve got a Winner.

And it is a winner. The only reason i havent gotten the MiG19 is the real world problem of ammo count (and im broke as sin) Maybe the next sale.

The real area that Razbam shines is the flight model, that Harrier is awesome and the flight model had to be problematic to write. Or flip the VRILLE switch in the Mirage.

I regularly down 16's and 14's in my Mirage. If that F15 and Flogger have a flight model comparable to the other modules? and it looks like the 19? ..i might have a conniption fit.

a conniption fit of JOY.. that is.

Thank you.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

From what I read on Russian forums, It seems that MLA is going to be good dogfighter. There are claims that experienced pilot could even win a dogfight with MiG-29. As came for avionics many pilots claimed that its wasnt much difference compared with 29A. Radar and missiles were praised highly for its time. I think this plane is going to be nasty suprise for BLUEFOR pilots.

...until it is nerfed for being "too good"! :cry::cry::cry:

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

From what I read on Russian forums, It seems that MLA is going to be good dogfighter. There are claims that experienced pilot could even win a dogfight with MiG-29. As came for avionics many pilots claimed that its wasnt much difference compared with 29A. Radar and missiles were praised highly for its time. I think this plane is going to be nasty suprise for BLUEFOR pilots.

That sounds like the old story where experienced Soviet pilots flying the MiG-23MLD from the aggressor unit would beat less experienced MiG-29 pilots in mock combat. It doesn't make the MLA a good dogfighter, though.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Also remember that g limits are different for each wing position. For MLA straight wing is for takeoff/landing, not for dogfight. They reinforced the wing later on the MLD, together with a dogfight wing position.

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

Also remember that g limits are different for each wing position. For MLA straight wing is for takeoff/landing, not for dogfight. They reinforced the wing later on the MLD, together with a dogfight wing position.

Yeah, plus the vortex generating physical changes on wing roots and the pitot tube which I presume help improve the control surfaces authority at high AoA.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

As far as I know, even the pilots of the early versions (MiG-23 M, MF) used to set the wing sweep to 30° for dogfighting.

OverStratos, is the wing angle handle an axis or more like a gear lever with fixed positions?

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

The wing angle lever is akin to the gear lever. It has some grooves equivalent to the predefined positions of 16, 45 and 72 degrees, but you can actually put the lever in whatever position you like for any given angle. You know in what position the wing is because you have a wing angle indicator in the cockpit.

Putting the lever in any position will make the wing to stay in that setting, it will not move unless maybe with very high G.

The wing angle lever is akin to the gear lever. It has some grooves equivalent to the predefined positions of 16, 45 and 72 degrees, but you can actually put the lever in whatever position you like for any given angle. You know in what position the wing is because you have a wing angle indicator in the cockpit.

Putting the lever in any position will make the wing to stay in that setting, it will not move unless maybe with very high G.

So it's actually possible to set to 30 degrees and turn better? Will the max g be lower for that? Overall, how easy is it to damage the airframe?

And this is available on you MLA as well?

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Wing control system "SPK-1A" allowing the setting of any angle of the wing arrow from 16 ° to 72 ° .Regulations for the use of the aircraft, however, allowed the use of angles 16 ° 45 ° and 72 °. Discussion with pilots of the USSR The MLD version used a wing angle of 30 ° instead of 45 ° for maneuver combat, when depending on the stabilizer deflection angle, angle of attack and speed, the leading edge of the wing was automatically lowered by 20 ° without deflection of the flaps. achievable number M = 1.4 on both angles of the arrow.ML-ka leading edge, of course, did not tilt, but slightly increased the area of ​​the wing and improved stability.

The moving part of the wing was equipped with a flap with flaps: take-off - 25 °, landing -50 °. Simultaneously with the flaps, the leading edge tilted to the already stated value of 20 °. In the case of suspension of fueltanks with both 800 l, the sash was extended to the 16 ° position and locked mechanically in it. At the same time, the flap was extended only to 25 ° (electrically blocked).

After dropping the fueltanks, the wing was controllable in its entirety.

Wiki says that an F-14A in 1977 cost 19.2 million USD, while the MiG-23 between 3.6 to 6.6 million

If that is accurate, then you could buy 3-5 MiG-23 for the price of 1 F-14A, and production numbers reflect that.

Based on that I'd say that a 1v4 scenario should be considered when talking about MiG-23 vs US 4th gens like the F-14 or the F-15

And in that moment the F-14 or F-15 is burning on the way down.

Take example the MiG-21Bis, its cost at the time about 1 million dollars for piece. And you would face about 8-12 of those against two F-14 or F-15. You simply don't have enough missiles to get even half of them down in the time they have closed and all are furbal.

I had tested 4x MiG-21Bis vs 2x F-14B in AI controls, starting from a 100 km. And F-14's always lose the game, even if it is 2x AIM-54 + 2x AIM-7 + 2x AIM-9 for both tom cats and the Mig's has nothing more than 4x R-60 on each. The conclusion almost always was that no migs were shot down, while both tomcats dropped dead or were left limping home. And if I jumped to same MiG-21 scenario as fifth, I had all the free time of the whole world to do whatever I wanted by flanking etc and merge with the first tomcat.

Now taking that same thing with MiG-23MLA, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to be in such engagement group.

But this is why since the Korean war, USA has always had superiority in the numbers when engaging enemy in the air. Never trusting to the technological advantage, but always to the numbers. So if enemy sends 4 fighters, then USA sends 12 fighters.

It doesn't matter how well you turn, as you always get a third player there to back up your six and get a another solution to enemy you are chasing.

And these things does not appear in DCS multiplayers because there is no such doctrinal strategies nor tactics in the merge, but it goes more for just a random shooting with silly turning fights etc.

It can be seen even in the major events where the pilots just can't really get communications and coordination built for the tasking. It just breaks out to pieces when something sudden happens as people are not custom for strict tactics and following commands and understanding what everyone should be doing etc.

That is extremely challenging thing to learn and if you don't train that every day, it doesn't happen.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

because it made the plane a lot more agile and could not be detected on the flight data recorder.

Did the flight data recorded store any info of the wing sweep, or just the previous official position? Like you went from 16 to 45 and then back to 30 and it registered always as 45 degree and so on if you went from 16 to 30 it was registered as 45 because you left 16 degree?

If you crossing head on the F-14, mig-23 should turn in a climb and look for horizontal in a dive.

Doesn't go that way. One can't just tell "you need to do this if you are against this". You can run math as much you want, but it is the pilot decisions and capability read situation that makes the difference.

Just confirm ones again. Our Soviet ML version will have the same RWR we find in MiG-29 (I don’t remember the type name), countermeasures dispensers, and what else?

SPO-15's were on the MLD's. Maybe some MLA's had them too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).