Helicopter EFM Demo

Anyone know if there's a way to get simshaker to work with this mod? I keep getting simshaker error messages while flying

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Tried this tonight, very impressive start, however one bad thing for me, the forcefeedback is not enabled on this helo so I have a limp stick in my hands making it impossible to fly properly, any chance a constant force can be applied, or if you are feeling super generous the regular FFB effects ? Great work, really brings home how badly I think the Gazelle flies as well.

Flew this for 45 min this morning. Flowing the river at 12 feet and thru town I love this would like to see the control indicator working though. I cant wait for all features to be working. Great job nibbylot. Also I use the Puma Pro Flight system and pairs nice with it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

WOW This is a fantastic moment for the DCS community. Really hope that you continue this effort in creating a realistic Heli EFM so that others can then start creating more mods.

Thanks also for starting with my favourite Heli manufacturer :D

Is there a kneeboard folder for this. I did not see one and made one in saved games folder but things I put in it like the start up a control panel document don't show?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

According to the NASA document the CG is somewhere around WL50.

If the model centre lays at WL 83, there should be an offset of 33” downwards.

33” are around 0.84 meters, which means the line for center_of_mass in the entry.lua should be:

center_of_mass = {0,-0.84,0},

Furthermore - since the y and z axes are swapped in DCS, the moment_of_intertia in entry.lua should probably be:

moment_of_inertia = {446, 979, 1219, 50},

(CptSmiley also did that in his F16 FM compared to the original source).

As a hint for all testers of this bird:

The given moments of inertia do not represent the max load out of the chopper.

For the little bird that would be 3,100 lb or 1,406 kg.

The given values are for 2570 lb or 1157 kg.

Besides of that: The OH-6 is a great Mod and I really hope it gets some attention from the community in terms of suggestions and improvements.

Thanks, nibbylot. Appreciate your work!

Hey Rifter, where did you find these mass/balance values? I'd like to see if I can find similar tables for other airframes.

Great work! Fun to fly, but more difficult than the Huey for sure. Some behaviour also that is difficult to anticipate, at least for me. How realistic is the FM?

I know it has much less mass than the Huey, is nimble, but the seeming erraticness at times, apart from my lack of skills, might it be caused by some shortcomings in the FM?

Edited by RabidRider

Im having an issue getting it to work....im sure it is a me problem since so many others have it working. It stats to load but always goes to the map screen with the heli icon on the map. I cant seem to get it to load into the cockpit. I have tried quick flight. Mission editor etc. but no luck...any suggestions on what I did wrong. I am running it in VR with the HTC Vive if that may be the problem?

Edited by Long Range Canuck

The Edge 540 does this with the prop as well I thin kits limitation of the engine myself

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Took far longer than I care to admit to get up there, being a fixed wing pilot, Helos are a very different concept, but getting up here should be part of the AH-6J qualification process Screen-200625-150357.png

Screen-200625-150402.png

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

Loving it! Even did a video about it!

If I may add to the list:

Need a zoom axis

re arm from ground - I assume this doesn't work as there is no radio currently?

Damage model- can control aircraft even after ejecting

DCS Playlist

Hey Rifter, where did you find these mass/balance values? I'd like to see if I can find similar tables for other airframes.

On page 24 of the NASA-document which nibbylot has listed there is a table for the moments of inertia of the OH-6A.

You can find the NASA document here:

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19800002851.pdf

Two weight configurations are displayed there:

Nominal weight and light weight and their corresponding Ix, Iy, Iz and Ixz values.

What’s missing in the NASA document are the moments of inertia for the max weight configuration.

Besides the OH-6A the NASA document also contains the test reports for:

BO-105C

AH-1G

UH-1H

CH-53D

I found similar NASA documents for the UH-1B and the UH-1C also.

Usually moments of inertia values for vehicles (no matter if airborne or ground) are really hard to come by.

@stromridersp: Sorry - haven’t found any AH-64 data yet.

here is a quick run on the night mission and dont judge the gun work Dead Eye Dan I am not

Edited by RePhil

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am trying to take everyone's feedback and improve upon this as it seems to be getting more attention lately. There's still a lot more that needs to be done. I am going to try and focus on proper engine modelling (N2 rpm, NR rpm, torque) next.

Version 0.3 now available, change log:

- Added GAU-19 .50 cal gattling gun

- Added basic Force Feedback support

- Added option to remove weapon platform

- Added trim controls

- Added controls indicator

- M134 minigun now drops spent shells

EFM:

- labeled data tables so they are easier to understand their affect on the FM

- reduced rotational instability during straight and level flight

Edited by nibbylot

Great work! Fun to fly, but more difficult than the Huey for sure. Some behaviour also that is difficult to anticipate, at least for me. How realistic is the FM?

I know it has much less mass than the Huey, is nimble, but the seeming erraticness at times, apart from my lack of skills, might it be caused by some shortcomings in the FM?

Yes there are certainly shortcomings in the FM. If you can pinpoint the exact flight conditions during said erratic behavior I can try to tune that out. But as the FM can be complex I need to know the aircraft's heading into the wind, rotational states, moments, etc. that this happens.

I am trying to take everyone's feedback and improve upon this as it seems to be getting more attention lately. There's still a lot more that needs to be done. I am going to try and focus on proper engine modelling (N2 rpm, NR rpm, torque) next.

Version 0.3 now available, change log:

- Added GAU-19 .50 cal gattling gun

- Added basic Force Feedback support

- Added option to remove weapon platform

- Added trim controls

- Added controls indicator

- M134 minigun now drops spent shells

EFM:

- labeled data tables so they are easier to understand their affect on the FM

- reduced rotational instability during straight and level flight

Awesome update! Trim controls are greatly appreciated. This thread really needs to be a sticky ED!

cw1.png