Helicopter EFM Demo

Took far longer than I care to admit to get up there, being a fixed wing pilot, Helos are a very different concept, but getting up here should be part of the AH-6J qualification process Screen-200625-150357.png

Screen-200625-150402.png

You can also try to Krasnodar.

wtf6ewFbYUw

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Thanks for the update and keeping it fresh and going forward :thumbup:

I found the trim option really welcome also, however, I wonder if a "classic" trim option could be added like trim and trim reset, the same way it works for Mi-8 and Huey. Maybe this hello does not work this way, I just do not know, but I would love if you could add this feature at some point as I still struggle a bit to control it without this kind of trim control, however, of course, new trim option helps :].

Also about the new feature: - Added option to remove weapon platform

I was hoping to have the classic "Hardpoints" checker box in the mission editor. I do not manage to find where to tweak this.

I am quite a fan of civilian/SAR Helo flying here in DCS, and when I saw this new addition I was indeed very excited.

Adding to the livery lua:

custom_args = {
[310] = 1.0,
}

It does not seem to work. Any clue about how it is supposed to be done?

Best!

To remove the weapon platform in mission editor, select 'Remove Pylon' in the "Plank" slot

Just to ‘hype’ this thread a little bit more for all you rotorheads:

Nibbylot not only created the foundation for an OH-6 flight model.

It is also a blueprint for at least any other helo which is included in the test data of the NASA document.

That means the flight model could also be used as a starting point for a AH-1G since all the data for that bird is also included in the NASA document.

A question for nibbylot:

The aerodynamics data of the NASA document is so to say the data backbone of your flight model.

You transferred the table data of the NASA document (page 26 and following) one-to-one into the file AH6AeroData.h.

DCS has the particularity of swapped axes in it’s coordinate system (y and z are swapped compared to the ‘official’ definition in the aerospace industry).

From my understanding that means that transferring data from an original source with the official x,y,z-scheme has to be adapted to the DCS coordinate system.

CptSmiley did that in his F16 flight model too. He swapped the y and z axis data compared to the original source which he used as input.

For example he did not just takeover the moments of inertia values as they can be found in the original source but he swapped the values of y and z against each other.

In the file API_Declare.h the coordinate system is defined according to the DCS notation.

Body coordinate system system is always X - positive forward, Y - positive up, Z - positive to right.

Does that mean your flight model handles the axis swap ‘internally’ so input data of an original source can be used without axis swap?

Could say some clarifying words on that topic?

Thanks a lot!

I kept it in normal coordinate system in the aeroData and aero header files, then swap it to DCS coordinate system in the motion header file in the function updateAeroForces()

Edited by nibbylot

Hello!

Firstly I would want to thank nibbylot for providing us all with a free helicopter! It looks fantastic and I can't wait to see further development of the Little Bird! Thank you!

But the thing is...I can't map any flight controls. What I mean by that is the only mappable buttons I can configure is the cyclic trim and the throttle. No collective or cyclic.

I tried reinstalling the mod and replacing the EFB source code, but no dice.

I followed Grim Reapers' tutorial too, but it just doesn't work for me.

I'll see if there are any new DCS updates, and if that works I'll let you know.

Once again, thanks!

Try going to Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input and delete the AH-6 folder in there.

I remember the 1st version of this. It worked fine for me. this version and the last one does not work for me at all, isn't even recognized by DCS openbeta. Nothing has been blocked (someone mentioned the .dll being blocked) I've got the Edge 540 working (in saved games folder) and have use the Community A4 in the past. Guess I'll have to wait for another advancing version.

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig

You can also try to Krasnodar.

wtf6ewFbYUw

Now youre just showing off...

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I remember the 1st version of this. It worked fine for me. this version and the last one does not work for me at all, isn't even recognized by DCS openbeta. Nothing has been blocked (someone mentioned the .dll being blocked) I've got the Edge 540 working (in saved games folder) and have use the Community A4 in the past. Guess I'll have to wait for another advancing version.

Did you delete the old version before installing the new one? Could you send a screenshot of the folder with entry.lua with the file path visible.

Do you have a DCS World in your saved games folder as well?

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

Remove the FXO/metashaders2.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Check if you dont have folder AH-6J in folder where you install whole DCS.

It must be only in users/name/saved game/DCS(DCS.openbeta, DCS.xxxx)/mods/aircraft

When i had folder AH-6j twice (on C disk in saved game and on D disk in DCS/../Aircraft) i dont saw AH-6j icon in start menu.

I am trying to take everyone's feedback and improve upon this as it seems to be getting more attention lately. There's still a lot more that needs to be done. I am going to try and focus on proper engine modelling (N2 rpm, NR rpm, torque) next.

Version 0.3 now available, change log:

- Added GAU-19 .50 cal gattling gun

- Added basic Force Feedback support

- Added option to remove weapon platform

- Added trim controls

- Added controls indicator

- M134 minigun now drops spent shells

EFM:

- labeled data tables so they are easier to understand their affect on the FM

- reduced rotational instability during straight and level flight

Friendly advise, keep reminding yourself that what your project is all about. Otherwise you might starting adding features for what people dream, instead it being a EFM demo engine for other modders as well...

so try to stay focused to minimal requirements as then you will be happier.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Any one experience that the Chopper spin on it self to the right side ? I remove all axes let just pitch, roll and cyclic same thing ! do I miss something ?

You mean without rotors rotating?

Or you are applying collective?

As MH-6 could be very light for its engine power, that you can start having it rotating by its rotors torque without anti-torque applied.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

starting on the runway, pushing the collective, no any other thing, just collective, it start go up and spin on it self in the same time ! have to put some rudder to keep it in line not like Ka50, does forward or backward but not spin with the rotor to th right side !!

MOD Logo - 100.png

It heads right on take off and back. I suggest watching the videos on youtube for it. There's work to be done in the right places but lets not complain its hard to fly when theirs plenty of videos to suggest it behaves like a helicopter. explain why you think theirs an issue based on other helicopters rather than just complaining its a helicopter

cw1.png

nop ! ony Ka-50 before

Just wondering if just me or ! In ka-50 there is no back rotor and the non spin effect is controlled by the double main rotary I think ! but is regular helo, that's done but the back rotor prevent the helo to spin on it self ! I am working on Mi-28 EFM for my owne MOD, using this template, keep having the same effect and make the helo very difficult to fly and hover !!? So I am asking perhaps I have to add some kind of force simulation the back rotor in EFM to keep it stable.

Edited by freebirddz

MOD Logo - 100.png

In general, this behavior is correct.

With a single main rotor spinning one way, the force will "push" the body of the helicopter to rotate in the opposite direction.

The tail rotor is not fixed - the angle of the blades are changed by the anti-torque pedals, to continually adjust the amount and direction of force applied at the tail.

The amount and direction of force required changes continuously through different flight regimes, so takeoff is different from hover, is different from steady forwards flight, is different from deceleration or descending.

Tail rotor is a pilot input along with cyclic and collective, and by itself with no pilot input does not automatically counter the main rotor torque.

Hope this helps.

For further detail on this topic as it relates to DCS, I recommend watching some DCS Huey flight tutorial videos.

i7 9700k | GTX 1080 | 32 gb | X55 + ProFlight pedals | TrackIR | Win10

Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria

A-10C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-16C | UH-1H | SA342 | Mi8 | Ka50 | FC3 | CA | SC | Kiowa

You also have translating tendency, where you have to apply lateral cyclic to compensate for the lateral thrust generated by the tail rotor. Thats why they generally hover with one skid low, depending on the rotation direction of the main rotor. For example in a clockwise rotating main rotor, the tail produces thrust to the right of the helicopter to compensate so it will hover with the right skid low...

hth

i5 4690K, GTX1070, 24GB 1800mhz, HP WMR, Custom FFB helicopter controls.

I noticed today that if you are carrying full rockets and M134 you are overweight at 100% fuel, dropping it down to be in weight has helped my landings greatly.

Screen-200701-191802.png

Screen-200701-192242.png

Screen-200701-192908.png

Screen-200701-192913.png

cw1.png

Noticed my AI friend tonight had a cool purple light in the cabin, but I couldnt figure out how to get mine on

purp.png

cw1.png