Helicopter EFM Demo

• 2 weeks later...

Nibbylot,

are you still checking this thread? The mod is great, I have a lot of fun and it has potential, for me very much in understanding how a heli mod could work. Thanks very much for providing your work to the community!

Currently I am working on a detailed livery, but it seems that some of the cockpit interior is just mapped with the oustide texture material. Meaning, that outside texture structures repeat on the Joysticks and panels. They seem not to have a their own material during creation of the models. Since no ED-dummy texture appears, there is not just a texture missing. See screenshot - the raster is placed for testing on the exterior texture, and repeats completely on the collective...among other elements of the outer color scheme.

Do you think you could remap the interior in the model, or maybe provide the model source, so I could change it and provide if you agree?

Thanks and all best for 2021!

weird_interior_mapping1.jpg

Edited by rato65
  • Like 2

It's not abandoned per se, he just consider it finished in light of the original template idea. It was never ment to become a finished full fidelity module, but merely a prof of concept and a template for others to build upon. Main part being the coding under the hood, not the graphics.
This is my understanding of it any how.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

On 1/1/2021 at 5:40 PM, whisky.actual said:

That's understandable, you can share it also here: https://discord.gg/3bH33fh2

Thanks for the link, did see it too late. The liveries are pretty rough at this stage though.

On 1/1/2021 at 7:54 PM, Holton181 said:

This is my understanding of it any how.

So understand I too. It is a great project and I want to look deeper into it. However, it is very time consuming, so I will not promise anything. But if anybody does as well, we could exchange ideas.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2020 at 3:54 PM, rato65 said:

Here's the Island Hopper Livery (still very basic, until the issue with the interior map is solved).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhq8x5vvovfg6gf/Magnum_PI.zip?dl=0

You are my hero!  This made my year already.  Finally when my wife asks if I'm "playing T.C." when in DCS, I can say yes!

Edited by Boogdud
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How do you install the skins?  I tried extracting them to the AH-6J folder in mods but it doesn't show up.

Website (DCS Content): https://sites.google.com/view/spinossimulationsite/home?authuser=0

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@SpinosSimulations

System Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 3060, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

DCS Wishlist: F-8E/J Crusader, Kola Peninsula Map, F-14B(U), F-14D/ST-21 Super Tomcat

• 2 weeks later...

Again I have to say a deep thank you to nibbylot, who gifted us with this fantastic Helicopter EFM Demo complete Template.

Being far from experienced in flight phyiscs and all the details needed for the quality and realism which is so present in DCS, I played around with the EFM, the luas and some 3D modelling and I am quite excited to find out what is possible. It costs so much time, but it is a lot of fun. So - I find myself now designing a flyable MH-60 Jayhawk....and I had the first dozens of hours working on refining a purchased basic model, doing new materials and geometry, roughly adapting the EFM from nibbilot towards a somehow heavier aircraft - and test-flying and tuning it in Nevada almost each evening - wow, that is such a fun! It feels somehow realistic from what I can imagine, although it is truely not - I can't tell. Certainly different from the AH-6, heavier but not as wobbly as the Huey, but far from the Ka-50, very nice hovering and transitions to stable flight, with corrective actions I know from the Huey.

Can't promise anything, but if I find the time to keep up with this and go as deep as FM physics and +- realistic cockpit, I'll share it.

For now, I enjoy a flyable MH-60, which behaves not to bad if not stressed outside normal flying limits.

Much of work ahead though...

Cheers!

Screen_210217_231008.png

DCS-Stock UH-60a in the back, new MH-60 lift-off.

Landing on the back wheel first, sofar no suspension though.

Screen_210217_231437.png

Edited by rato65
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, rato65 said:

Again I have to say a deep thank you to nibbylot, who gifted us with this fantastic Helicopter EFM Demo complete Template.

Being far from experienced in flight phyiscs and all the details needed for the quality and realism which is so present in DCS, I played around with the EFM, the luas and some 3D modelling and I am quite excited to find out what is possible. It costs so much time, but it is a lot of fun. So - I find myself now designing a flyable MH-60 Jayhawk....and I had the first dozens of hours working on refining a purchased basic model, doing new materials and geometry, roughly adapting the EFM from nibbilot towards a somehow heavier aircraft - and test-flying and tuning it in Nevada almost each evening - wow, that is such a fun! It feels somehow realistic from what I can imagine, although it is truely not - I can't tell. Certainly different from the AH-6, heavier but not as wobbly as the Huey, but far from the Ka-50, very nice hovering and transitions to stable flight, with corrective actions I know from the Huey.

Can't promise anything, but if I find the time to keep up with this and go as deep as FM physics and +- realistic cockpit, I'll share it.

For now, I enjoy a flyable MH-60, which behaves not to bad if not stressed outside normal flying limits.

Much of work ahead though...

Cheers!

Screen_210217_231008.png

DCS-Stock UH-60a in the back, new MH-60 lift-off.

Landing on the back wheel first, sofar no suspension though.

Screen_210217_231437.png

Awesome stuff!! Keep it up. I suggest you look at the F-16 demo for the wheel suspension as obviously its not needed for the AH-6. If you need to change the flight model look at the AeroData.h file, all the data points are labeled so its easy to change

14 hours ago, nibbylot said:

Awesome stuff!! Keep it up. I suggest you look at the F-16 demo for the wheel suspension as obviously its not needed for the AH-6. If you need to change the flight model look at the AeroData.h file, all the data points are labeled so its easy to change

Thanks for your reply! Again - awards to you for providing this path! 

Yes, I alreay had a look into the AeroData.h and also found an appropriate table for the xx60 helicopters. I will adapt that and see who it will work. So far, I played only with masses and inertia, rotor position/diameter etc. in the luas and the AH6Constants.h - main issue is still the relatively fast yaw movement which is already less than your AH-6, but still too fast for this size of helicopter. Thanks for the tips - will check if I can do the wheels and suspension as well.

Edited by rato65

On 2/18/2021 at 12:12 AM, rato65 said:

Thanks for your reply! Again - awards to you for providing this path! 

Yes, I alreay had a look into the AeroData.h and also found an appropriate table for the xx60 helicopters. I will adapt that and see who it will work. So far, I played only with masses and inertia, rotor position/diameter etc. in the luas and the AH6Constants.h - main issue is still the relatively fast yaw movement which is already less than your AH-6, but still too fast for this size of helicopter. Thanks for the tips - will check if I can do the wheels and suspension as well.

Do you have a discord page for your MH-60 that i can follow?