Need joystick throttle slider advice

Guys, my Thrustmaster T16000 stick is a middle of the range thing and does its job, but the throttle slider slides smoothly and I've got the hassle of having to keep glancing at it to see what position it's in.

Ideally I'd like to buy a stick whose thrott slider has say 3 "ratchet click positions" between 0% and 100% which I can feel the slider "click into" without taking my eyes off the screen, for example clicks at 25%, 50% and 75% power to suit whatever I'm doing, eg landing approach, cruise, etc.

Is such a "ratcheted throttle" stick available to buy? I've googled 'joysticks' but their specs don't mention if they're ratcheted.

Can anybody recommend a ratcheted job?

PS- are throttle levers ratcheted in in real-life planes?

Why do you need to see the position?

And no, there may be only detents IRL, for cut-off or afterburner f.e.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System: Windows 10 Pro | i9 9900K | 32GB RAM (3200 MHz) | RTX-2080s | SSD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware: TM Warthog | MFG Rudder Pedals | 4x TM Cougar MFD | Saitek Switch Panel | Trackir5 | VR: Rift S / Monitor: 31,5" WQHD, G-Sync

Why do you need to see the position?

And no, there may be only detents IRL, for cut-off or afterburner f.e.

Sorry if I haven't explained it well enough. Look, this below is my thrott slider, and for example suppose I want to set 25% power, I have to look down at it and move the slider to what looks like the 25% position, pure guesswork.

It'd be so much easier if there was a 'ratchet click' at the 25% mark so that I could "feel" it click into place without having to look down at it.

Same with clicks at 50% and 75%, I'd like them too.

So to return to my original question, are there any joysticks on the market with throttle ratchet clicks that I can buy?

t16000m.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Ok, I understand what you mean.

But there is no reason to set power by throttle position. IRL you set your power by engine RPM or the speed you want fly, regardless of throttle position.

-

System: Windows 10 Pro | i9 9900K | 32GB RAM (3200 MHz) | RTX-2080s | SSD

Hardware: TM Warthog | MFG Rudder Pedals | 4x TM Cougar MFD | Saitek Switch Panel | Trackir5 | VR: Rift S / Monitor: 31,5" WQHD, G-Sync

Indeed, check engine RPM/fuel flow to see your throttle position. As far as I know no throttle has clicks in the way you describe only at the afterburner detent, so if you want it you may need to DIY it on a home throttle.

If you're looking for more precision on your throttle i would also recommend upgrading to a HOTAS stick and throttle rather than just a joystick with a little slider on it. Using your whole hand and having the longer throw or a throttle will add much more precision.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Is such a "ratcheted throttle" stick available to buy? I've googled 'joysticks' but their specs don't mention if they're ratcheted.

Can anybody recommend a ratcheted job?

PS- are throttle levers ratcheted in in real-life planes?

The answer is I'm unaware of one, but it wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to make yourself. In real aircraft, no, not even close. They have gates to prevent going into burner or idle cutoff without intent, but no ratchets. Everything below this is off-topic to your original question and can be safely ignored.

To echo a whole bunch of other people, I don't even look at where my throttle is, I look at what the aircraft is doing. When on-speed I control throttle position based on the velocity vector. When flying I adjust the throttle to maintain airspeed or hit auto-throttle. Having detents like you describe would, in my mind, make flying harder.

For DCS I dialed the throttle friction level all the way down, because smoother is better when you're managing rate of descent on-speed during approach.

Grab the Thrustmaster twcs Throttle when you can, it will make life much easier and more realistic. They have pedals available too.

t16000mfcshotas-5.jpg

Indeed, check engine RPM/fuel flow to see your throttle position. As far as I know no throttle has clicks in the way you describe only at the afterburner detent, so if you want it you may need to DIY it on a home throttle.

If you're looking for more precision on your throttle i would also recommend upgrading to a HOTAS stick and throttle rather than just a joystick with a little slider on it. Using your whole hand and having the longer throw or a throttle will add much more precision.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I would agree to put your money into a throttle rather than a new joystick (esp. because I don't think you'll find anything with detents like that). You can feel the physical position that will tell you roughly where you're at.

To add some context to what a lot of other people are saying: I think you will find that with a dedicated throttle that your left hand rests on continuously, you will gain a far better natural understanding of what your currant throttle position is. I believe the problem you're currently having is caused more by the slider not being an intuitive device to use that does not engage gross motor function, and having a relatively short travel distance. I don't think the proper solution is a throttle with a clicky feedback system, but rather to simply get a proper throttle.

Try R-ctrl and Enter. It brings up what fitness88 was mentioning. I use the flippy tab on my force feedback joystick which isn't great but doing the job. As mentioned I never look at the throttle position EXCEPT when going to full mil and I don't want burner I need to look where it's at. I think at some point I will get the T1600M as a nice mid level throttle but until then...

Yes guys I'll have to consider forking out for a super-duper stick/throttle job, meanwhile I'll make do with Fitness and LTRM's suggestion of doing RCtrl-Enter to get that orange panel at bottom left below to see where the sliding throttle is set to, it's that small horizontal bar that slides up and down on the left edge of the panel-

dcs-444_zpsahzav7mt.jpg~original

Edited by PoorOldSpike