HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

I'm gonna agree here.

In terms of actual rendering, anything more than 2kx2k is nonsense. Its killing current 2080ti's it will be hard for the next gen 3080ti to do. Pixel res is FINE.

However as other manufacturers have shown (starVR/others) OPTICS MATTER. mechanical IPD matters, MURA matters, etc etc.

Frankly some of the improvements wont matter for DCS, I have minimal tracking issues, and don't use the hand controllers (GET POINT CONTROL NOW). But better clarity with the optics +1. Better color +2, better brightness/clarity +1. Better cable +3 (I'm on my second headset, and 3rd cable).

Yup good post. HP / Microsoft / Valve made the right decision NOT to push harder on # of pixels right at this time. Doing so would have "cost" in terms of GPU resources which as it stands now we are hitting RTX 2080 Ti limits (and yes I know about rumoured 40% faster 3080 Ti) and cost in terms of affordability to the consumer. Instead there are negligible cost, zero GPU overhead wins to be had in these other areas that affect optical quality besides the resolution. This is actually something Oculus got very, very right with the Rift S and what that headset punched well above its £400 price point.

Like you I also could not give a fig about the hand controllers. The damn Rift S won't let you use it unless you have the hand controllers - with batteries active - near the headset. It is a damn nuisance. Yeah, give us finger sensors instead... I am sure that will come. And some interesting information regarding WiFi6... but I still doubt that has the bandwidth we will need for 2k2k if cables are struggling!

A few years ago I was totally uninterested in VR. But we are at the point that it is getting good and getting very interesting.

I dont think the reverb is killing the best hardware. Its a hard load in DCS, but it is manageble and I can work with the settings to have very good flow when gaming.

Foir other games, I mostly have all settings on max and 90fps all the time.

Waiting for the Pimax 8KX, having hopes.....

Hmm. I wish SLI were a solution... It would seem easy in concept for left and right eye images to be split between SLIed GPUs. But I imagine that there is much more to do with it in the coding. Anyway, it is irrelevant to us... DCS is single GPU. (IL-2 another matter however).

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm. I wish SLI were a solution... It would seem easy in concept for left and right eye images to be split between SLIed GPUs. But I imagine that there is much more to do with it in the coding. Anyway, it is irrelevant to us... DCS is single GPU. (IL-2 another matter however).

VR and SLI isnt supported yet as far as I know in any gaming ?

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Most of you are already rendering higher than 2 times 4K with pixel density and super sampling.

It's just down sampling to your lower res screen after it renders higher res. Higher res display would simply display as is without downsampling.

Limitation is display hardware. Not GPU.

The damn Rift S won't let you use it unless you have the hand controllers - with batteries active - near the headset. It is a damn nuisance.

Thats weird as I never have batteries in mine unless I have to set the floor level once again and once that is done out pops the battery in the controller. Only time I use them is if I am playing a game that actually has to use the controllers which is very rare.

Yeah , i just use the mouse on the 2d screen for anything i need to do in Oculus . Can't launch sims in it anyway since last update , so no controllers , no loss .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yup good post. HP / Microsoft / Valve made the right decision NOT to push harder on # of pixels right at this time. Doing so would have "cost" in terms of GPU resources which as it stands now we are hitting RTX 2080 Ti limits (and yes I know about rumoured 40% faster 3080 Ti) and cost in terms of affordability to the consumer. Instead there are negligible cost, zero GPU overhead wins to be had in these other areas that affect optical quality besides the resolution. This is actually something Oculus got very, very right with the Rift S and what that headset punched well above its £400 price point.

Like you I also could not give a fig about the hand controllers. The damn Rift S won't let you use it unless you have the hand controllers - with batteries active - near the headset. It is a damn nuisance.

How so?

I have zero problem using my Rift S with my combat flight sims without Touch being active at all. In fact sometimes I have the batteries out of them to save on juice.

But I do love them for other VR games.

Oculus can get a bad rap for some things, this one however is not one of them.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR and SLI isnt supported yet as far as I know in any gaming ?

Correct it isn't.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I dont think the reverb is killing the best hardware. Its a hard load in DCS, but it is manageble and I can work with the settings to have very good flow when gaming.

Foir other games, I mostly have all settings on max and 90fps all the time.

Waiting for the Pimax 8KX, having hopes.....

Gunnars after seeing MRTV review of the 8kx I decided against it as I was going to buy one if his reviews were better. He said outer edge distortion is still not good. It cant compare to StarVR but you cant buy those anyway. IT will be a long time before we will get a high PPD human FOV HMD with no SDE and great colors that will run at 90fps+. Not even the $10k Varjo's can do it. You get a 87deg FOV and 90hz still. That is a waste of money.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Pimax guys go on for days about the wider FoV but honestly when it comes down to it, the 8KX will be harder to drive, limited to 75Hz, and MAY just equal the clarity of the Reverb G1 with a price that's almost 4x as much once you factor in the cost of the deluxe audio and base stations/controllers.

The value just isn't there for Pimax.

If the G2 really does have better optics, audio AND tracking, at the price point it's hitting, I don't see how it's not going to be the headset of choice for basically everything.

No one else has announced anything that's even close.

Pimax guys go on for days about the wider FoV but honestly when it comes down to it, the 8KX will be harder to drive, limited to 75Hz, and MAY just equal the clarity of the Reverb G1 with a price that's almost 4x as much once you factor in the cost of the deluxe audio and base stations/controllers.

If the G2 really does have better optics, audio AND tracking, at the price point it's hitting, I don't see how it's not going to be the headset of choice for basically everything.

Really interested to see if the optics of the G2 are indeed better than the reverb. I do want to upgrade to one but I haven't had any issue with the G1 other than it getting a bit warm and sending the original back for a new one due to a dead pixel.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Yes !!! just with bigger sweet spot it will be awesome for DCS !!!!!

Shit, I boughy a G1 2 months ago :(

Absolutely spot on!

I've posted a video with my thoughts from a DCS flight simmer's perspective.

+1 :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Gunnars after seeing MRTV review of the 8kx I decided against it as I was going to buy one if his reviews were better. He said outer edge distortion is still not good. It cant compare to StarVR but you cant buy those anyway. IT will be a long time before we will get a high PPD human FOV HMD with no SDE and great colors that will run at 90fps+. Not even the $10k Varjo's can do it. You get a 87deg FOV and 90hz still. That is a waste of money.

I’ll look into MRTV review.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Just preordered. Did everyone else who preordered get sent to connection.com and not HP, Steam or Microsoft? Just surprised it is preordered from a middle man.

I think my Rift is on its last leg, random and sometimes frequent black screens (sometimes with snow) in DCS. Hopefully my 1080ti will push the reverb gen 2 well enough on low settings until i can get my hands on next gen video card. DCS seems so improved in VR for the new release maybe there is hope...

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Manual IPD, better lenses and a bigger sweetspot are great and I'm considering to "upgrade" my Gen 1 with a Gen 2 but what it would make it to an instant buy is a better connection cable. This sturdy thing is the only real pain I have with my Gen 1 so far. And a bigger FOV would have been great!

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Manual IPD, better lenses and a bigger sweetspot are great and I'm considering to "upgrade" my Gen 1 with a Gen 2 but what it would make it to an instant buy is a better connection cable. This sturdy thing is the only real pain I have with my Gen 1 so far. And a bigger FOV would have been great!

I wonder if the cable alone could be upgraded ? Hopefully these are the kind of parts that can be replaced? I remember slicing the cable on my Bose Aviation X headset about 15 years ago on a seat track and that would have been a $1000 mistake otherwise. Anything as expensive as this stuff should have parts available.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

You can take apart an iMac to do repairs or upgrades. (But they are designed for the work to be done in an authorised repair shop). I am pretty confident that with some basic skills and some appropriate tools could take one of these apart to replace the cable. The sort of thing that is not a 2 min job, but if determined and spending a bit of money on a new cable, you could get it done. Or a repair shop could do it for you if you don't have the skills.

Certainly would not bin it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's an instant buy for you then as the cable has been upgraded to a 6m, thinner and more flexible one.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for your inputs. My issue with the Reverb cable is the stiffness and replacing the original with some kind of self made will be beyond my abilities. Next to this I fear that it'll cause more problems with trouble shooting in case it doesn't work properly. Would be great if the new Gen 2 cable is far better and coud be used with the Gen 1 as well.

As I have someone willing to buy my Gen 1 I'm thinking of getting a Gen 2. Otherwise I wouldn't do that.

Great! Thanks for this info @imacken! Seems I missed that detail!!!

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

A good work around for the heavy and stiff Gen 1 cable is routing it over a drawer, your desk, or another object of appropriate size on your side. This works very well for me.

A better cable for Gen 2 is most welcome.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

I wonder if the cable alone could be upgraded ? Hopefully these are the kind of parts that can be replaced? I remember slicing the cable on my Bose Aviation X headset about 15 years ago on a seat track and that would have been a $1000 mistake otherwise. Anything as expensive as this stuff should have parts available.

Yup, and it would be nice if the entire cable assembly on a VR headset was as easy to replace as the cable/mic assembly on the Aviation X.

To answer your earlier question about the pre-order, I was also taken to the Connection web-site. Had to shut it down and then manually find the HP pre-order button with a Google search just to make sure the link in this thread hadn't been hijacked. Still ended up at that Connection web-site, so it looks like its legitimate. Hopefully this is a move by HP to try to improve their handling of logistics, which was a complete fuster-cluck last time. :doh:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: