HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

Interested on the G2 as well as an upgrade for my Quest and CV1. Does anyone know if they issue refunds for order cancellations prior to shipping?

I couldn’t find any info on their weird website, sent an email and even called. My call was transferred to some office guy that had no idea about what a reverb was lol.

It has not been released for ordering yet...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It has not been released for ordering yet...

He’s in the US and pre order is available there at https://www.connection.com/product/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset/1g5u1aa-aba/41024161?cm_mmc=HP-_-Reverb-G2-_-VR-Headset-_-Pre-Order

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Interested on the G2 as well as an upgrade for my Quest and CV1. Does anyone know if they issue refunds for order cancellations prior to shipping?

I couldn’t find any info on their weird website, sent an email and even called. My call was transferred to some office guy that had no idea about what a reverb was lol.

Not sure about refunds, but I can tell you that they will run an initial authorization on your card to make sure its good. After a few days, that authorization drops off. Your credit card doesn't get officially charged until they ship you the HMD. I would think that you could cancel your order with no penalty if you change your mind about ordering one.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

On paper, the G2 looks like it combines the best features of the Rift CV1 and Rift S with a huge jump in resolution. That sounds really great. But if I can't get DCS to run reasonably on a Rift S with 2.5x less pixels, how am I going to realize the benefits of the higher resolution and have any kind of reasonable frame rate? Aside from the ghosting, I can live with the 40 fps ASW I typically see with the Rift S, so if I could build a rig that would run DCS on the G2 with a minimum for 45 fps, I would love it. But I really wish there would be some kind of breakthrough that would allow DCS World to perform better in VR and for hardware and drivers to improve enough as well to permit a steady 90 fps with decent quality settings.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On paper, the G2 looks like it combines the best features of the Rift CV1 and Rift S with a huge jump in resolution. That sounds really great. But if I can't get DCS to run reasonably on a Rift S with 2.5x less pixels, how am I going to realize the benefits of the higher resolution and have any kind of reasonable frame rate? Aside from the ghosting, I can live with the 40 fps ASW I typically see with the Rift S, so if I could build a rig that would run DCS on the G2 with a minimum for 45 fps, I would love it. But I really wish there would be come kind of breakthrough that would allow DCS World to perform better in VR and for hardware and drivers to improve enough as well to permit a steady 90 fps with decent quality settings.

There are many people - myself included - who already run DCS at a pretty steady 45fps at the same res as the G2, i.e. the current Reverb owners. In fact, I run at SteamVR 200% SS, so actually higher res in calc terms.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I can also get the current reverb to run at a pretty solid 45fps, albeit not at 200% ss but at native res, albeit I have to turn shadows off.. but then I’m on a 1080ti... will I buy the v2 hell yes, why, mostly quality of life and colour depth improvements, not to mention mechanical ipd and better sound etc... also as an observation I came from an O+ my frame rates went up ...or rather my graphics settings did, as I use motion vector which pretty much locks me in at 45fps

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Most needed improvement for the G2 is a longer lasting cable.

Which is part of the spec...single strand cable without the dongle...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I preordered one yesterday. Looks pretty good to me.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Just preordered. Did everyone else who preordered get sent to connection.com and not HP, Steam or Microsoft? Just surprised it is preordered from a middle man.

I think my Rift is on its last leg, random and sometimes frequent black screens (sometimes with snow) in DCS. Hopefully my 1080ti will push the reverb gen 2 well enough on low settings until i can get my hands on next gen video card. DCS seems so improved in VR for the new release maybe there is hope...

I ordered yesterday, and it went through connection.com, like yours.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

I want to order one too but I think I want to try and grab a 3080Ti in September first. I think I can deal with the reverb for a while until I update my card. Love my 1080ti, it's served me well for everything for quite a while now.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Yes, cable seems to be an improvement. Interesting how it will be connected. Will it be possible to simply change the cable or will the most vulnerable part of the cable still be fixed to the headset.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Yes, cable seems to be an improvement. Interesting how it will be connected. Will it be possible to simply change the cable or will the most vulnerable part of the cable still be fixed to the headset.
This time it's attached to the headset. Without the need to have a connection in the middle. So they got rid of that clip that is supposed to hold the G1 cable together, which was causing issues before.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

On paper, the G2 looks like it combines the best features of the Rift CV1 and Rift S with a huge jump in resolution. That sounds really great. But if I can't get DCS to run reasonably on a Rift S with 2.5x less pixels, how am I going to realize the benefits of the higher resolution and have any kind of reasonable frame rate? Aside from the ghosting, I can live with the 40 fps ASW I typically see with the Rift S, so if I could build a rig that would run DCS on the G2 with a minimum for 45 fps, I would love it. But I really wish there would be some kind of breakthrough that would allow DCS World to perform better in VR and for hardware and drivers to improve enough as well to permit a steady 90 fps with decent quality settings.

Higher native resolution allows you to use less supersampling. Supersampling is the major performance killer, not the resolution itself so much. As you can see with other Reverb users, they are even able to run a fairly significant amount of supersampling and still get satisfactory results. I prefer to use lower supersampling and more MSAA. It all depends on what looks best to you.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The controllers are 'crappy' even though you haven't tried them yet?

My experience is certainly different to yours. I have owned several HMDs, including CV1, Vive Pro, Index, etc., and, althought not the best, I have not had any problems with the Reverb controllers.

I have played through HL:A, Arizona Sunshine and many other games quite successfully with them and had no issues at all.

Similarly, I have no issues using the mouse in DCS in either TrackIR or VR. Personally, I cannot see why anyone would want to use controllers, but that's just down to personal preference.

You just said it yourself. Calling them crappy was kinda hyperbolic though, I'd admit. And it's great they actually took the step to improve those controllers. The main drawback is the visible light tracking still which might cause some problems in certain lighting conditions more easily than the other systems and mainly the battery drain which is just lots compared to the other systems. Having 4 or 8 eneloops charged and ready for a prolonged session definately isn't a bad idea with those, just swap them out when taking a break, put the drained one on the charger and you'll be all fine still. However when flying with the CV1 I've got half the amount of rechargables and they'd last for a week or so.

BTW I've seen guys on the Tube point out the tracking issues with WMR controllers, mainly being a thing if you kinda try holding a rifle with both hands, aiming. Since you don't do that in HL:A, it's fine there. Can't speak for AZ S though, haven't played it yet and don't know the guns you'd get there.

In the end, I'd probably very much consider getting the G2 for flying if my rig and wallet allowed me to (might take the step before replacing my 1080, but I definately need more CPU oomph, a 3570k, even OCed, isn't the best today), it's definately going to be a great device. For roomscale games I'll stick to my Quest setup for a while though, simply because I don't have the space in my gaming room. And being completely wireless is something great to have in VR.

As for using the controllers vs. mouse it's purely personal preference. I'm not having the best eyes and seeing hte cursor was always a hard challenge already since 2.5, so partly this is a me problem. However ED was NOT wise to shrink that think down to half its original size and I've asked them multiple times to enlarge it to the old size or even better have a scaling option - still unheard most probably. When it's then even sitting in front of a (sunglared) DDI, I'm completely doomed. On top of that, in VR the cursor can be completely hidden outside of the lens bezels. Instead of grabbing the mouse and first off trying to find the cursor, I'd just grab the controller, point at the thing I want to switch and simply do it. Completely independent of my head position or movement. Took me a week to get used to, but I couldn't go back to mouse anymore. Still use it for the R&R dialogue though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Ordered as well...

How do our specs compare? If I got a 1080ti or a 2080, I wonder if anything else would need to be changed. Not too computer literate. :)

TWC_SLAG

I just read this from a review dated 6/1/20. You may have already seen it. But, it was good news to me and my measly 1080 GPU.

“As for the headset itself, the company revealed that it’s planning 60Hz mode and half-resolution modes. These should help the headset run on PCs that struggle with its beefy specs.”

TWC_SLAG

How do our specs compare? If I got a 1080ti or a 2080, I wonder if anything else would need to be changed. Not too computer literate. :)

I have a 1080ti, I can run on native resolution on the reverb without problems, just some of the eye candy is off...

And pre-ordered.

Honestly while I think most of the issues with the first gen sets weren't really that huge, this looks to be a serious attempt to fix almost all of them. I had one cable fail with my gen1 headset and had to get the whole thing replaced. Since then Headset 2.0 has worked flawlessly (fingers crossed).

The main issues with gen 1 IMO were.

Cable issues.

IPD adjustment (it works ok for me with gen1)

Washed out colors relative to other sets.

Chromatic aberration on the edges of the image (cheap lens issues)

Blurry out of the dead center (cheap lens issues)

My main hope is that the IPD adjustment means it can help fix the Chromatic aberration/sweetspot issues a bit.

And that they figure out a way to make the colors better.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Looks pretty awesome - Through the lens 4k DCS video HP reverb G2

That is a great sales pitch for this headset. Makes me want to pre-order one. But then I would also need a new top-of-the-line PC and gpu. But I may get one anyway, then save up for a gpu, then build a new PC. I have this little magic helper called overtime that pops up every now and then. I just had a bunch of overtime and spent it on things like a Winwing HOTAS and Leap Motion controller. Hopefully I get a lot more overtime real soon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just read this from a review dated 6/1/20. You may have already seen it. But, it was good news to me and my measly 1080 GPU.

“As for the headset itself, the company revealed that it’s planning 60Hz mode and half-resolution modes. These should help the headset run on PCs that struggle with its beefy specs.”

can you post a link to this? I haven't seen that one.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).