HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

Ok, I'm sure these answers are probably buried in this thread somewhere but here are 2 questions:

1) Where is the best place to preorder? I went to the HP website and clicked the preorder button which brings me to a site called connection.com

While I have no issue using this site, it seems there is at least one more 3rd party selling the Reverb G2 (something like "bestway" or something?).

2) I have 1080Ti. My biggest reason for opting for the Rift S vs the G1 was performance worries. Now that I see the G2 can operate at 1/2 resolution and still have an IQ slightly better than the Rift S, I'm all over it. That said, can anyone confirm that the FPS should double at half resolution? I think that is what MRTV confirmed but just wondering if anyone else came to the same conclusion?

Ok, I'm sure these answers are probably buried in this thread somewhere but here are 2 questions:

1) Where is the best place to preorder? I went to the HP website and clicked the preorder button which brings me to a site called connection.com

While I have no issue using this site, it seems there is at least one more 3rd party selling the Reverb G2 (something like "bestway" or something?).

2) I have 1080Ti. My biggest reason for opting for the Rift S vs the G1 was performance worries. Now that I see the G2 can operate at 1/2 resolution and still have an IQ slightly better than the Rift S, I'm all over it. That said, can anyone confirm that the FPS should double at half resolution? I think that is what MRTV confirmed but just wondering if anyone else came to the same conclusion?

On #1 I think it is dependent on the country.

Here in the states the only pre-order option is through Connection.

I would have much preferred Amazon but it is what it is for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can't help with #2, but a few of us purchased our original Reverb from shopblt.com.

HP's site/Connection.com is also an option. But at this point who knows what the supply will look like. I preordered on July 1st, and on Aug 12th received the "we're out of stock" message.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Tell us where you live and we can be more helpful. Certainly in the UK, the official HP preorder is via SystemActive.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm in the US. Still really want to know the technical detail regarding #2 if anyone knows...

for the US i think it is via STeam https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/HP_Reverb_G2/

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I'm in the US. Still really want to know the technical detail regarding #2 if anyone knows...

I'd say there were too many variables to make an accurate prediction. If it's rendering at half the horizontal and vertical res there's actually only 25% of the full res pixels. VR performance however is also very CPU dependent which may limit gains from the lower res. DCS itself is also more reliant on the CPU than most other software.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

I’ve said this many times before, but I just don’t understand why some people say this. DCS is not CPU bound per se. It all depends on your hardware and settings.

For me, I am GPU bound 90% of the time in DCS.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I’ve said this many times before, but I just don’t understand why some people say this. DCS is not CPU bound per se. It all depends on your hardware and settings.

For me, I am GPU bound 90% of the time in DCS.

This is specifically connected to VR usage. VR usage is similar as 4K benchmarks. If you check all CPU bottleneck is measured in 1080p and if you compare budget and high end CPU in 4K got almost identical results on same GPU.

So for same amount of mony it is always better to buy Ryzen 5 3600/RTX 3080 than I9 10900K/RTX 3060.

Indeed, DCS, certainly in the Reverb is not CPU bound, not on a 1080ti and I know from talking to iain not on a 2080ti. FPSVR clearly shows GPU bound behaviour first...

And that's the point, there is always a bottle neck somewhere, it's just not exposed, until you fix the next one, but, for right now, investing in a gpu if you are already on a recent Cpu makes the most sense, on the Reverb.

Your experience in 2d may well be different depending on your monitor / game resolution.

That said, on a 1080ti with a recent CPU, you can run a current reverb fine, if not at the highest settings, so you will be able to run the new reverb equally fine, as it isn't increasing the resolution of the device.

Where dcs does become cpu bound is, either in low resolutions in 2d world or with very unit counts... But this is nothing to do with the Reverb...

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

i7-7800x 6 core @ 4.8 all, RTX 2080 Ti mild OC, 5K monitor: I am GPU bound mostly. Same story in VR. GPU bound for the most part.

People saying CPU bound are probably talking from their own experience. But for people with powerful computers and powerful output devices you can easily tick game settings that ask too much of an RTX 2080 Ti.

That is why so many of us are drooling at the thought of a RTX 3080 or 3090! Woof!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For #2, I think this answers the question nicely:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=285493

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Connection is also the one I used to per-order.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Can't help with #2, but a few of us purchased our original Reverb from shopblt.com.

HP's site/Connection.com is also an option. But at this point who knows what the supply will look like. I preordered on July 1st, and on Aug 12th received the "we're out of stock" message.

I can't figure out what is going on with connection.com, I pre-ordered I can login but my order is nowhwere aside from the pdf I saved on my pc.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I can't figure out what is going on with connection.com, I pre-ordered I can login but my order is nowhwere aside from the pdf I saved on my pc.

Just checked on my end, my order still shows open on back order.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm planing to make upgrade and best buy option is so far Ryzen on B450 MBO not B550. This days you can find Aorus B450 PRO or ROG Strix B450 F for 100$. Mid range boards with good VRM and USB C onboard.

G2 is gen1 USB C.

B550 is Gen 4 PCI but only benefit right now from Gen4 is Gen4 SSD which don't make diference in gaming compared to Gen3 SSD. So it is overkill and waste of money. Diference in price could make you 3700x with 3080 same as will cost 3600 with 3070 based on B550 MBO and Gen4 SSD.

I think this is even good budget option even after Ryzen 4000 release. This will additionaly lower the price to 3000 gen but in 4K gaming advantage will not be higher than 2% what is practically nothing. Everything is in GPU in VR.

You can go here:

http://www.connection.com/IPA/Reporting/OrderTrackingRequest

Put in your order # etc, and it will tell you what status your order is in.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

You can go here:

http://www.connection.com/IPA/Reporting/OrderTrackingRequest

Put in your order # etc, and it will tell you what status your order is in.

Thanks for that link.

However its not working. I have a Cart:10digit number which is too long for an order number, and its generating an error for the PO (I assume pre-order) number.

I tried calling and was on hold for like 15 minutes before I gave up.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just checked on my end, my order still shows open on back order.

Do you have a 10 digit cart number or what?

Thanks for that link.

However its not working. I have a Cart:10digit number which is too long for an order number, and its generating an error for the PO (I assume pre-order) number.

I tried calling and was on hold for like 15 minutes before I gave up.

Did you keep the "Thank you for purchasing from Connection" e-mail they sent you when you placed your pre-order? That e-mail has an "order tracking" link in it that will take you right to your order status. Mine shows the purchase price, tax, and shipping total, and the status is "backordered" I didn't have to enter my order number because it already knew that from the link.

edit:

Here is the body of the link. Hopefully you can edit the XXXXXXXX for your order number (mine is 8 digits), and edit the ZZZZZ with your zip code and it should take you there.

https://www.connection.com/Reporting/OrderTrackingRequestDetail?IsPurchaseOrderNumber=0&ReportType=OrderTracking&SearchTrackingType=1&SearchCritera=XXXXXXXX&SearchZip=ZZZZZ

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Do you have a 10 digit cart number or what?

At the website I don't seen an order number, just shows it in my Cart at Connection as a Pre-Order.

On my original e-mail confirmation I do have an 8 digit order number.

Don B

I have an account confirmation mail, but no actual order email, which is why i saved the thing that popped up on my screen as a pdf.

Hmm it is giving me an option to pay now, which it has never done in the past.

They must be getting close maybe as now we can go ahead and pay for it.

Wonder if I should go ahead and pay for it now?

Ah nevermind, apparently it was thinking I was trying to order another or something. Just checked back in, and it is showing as pre-order and already has all my credit card details. Still showing as back order on the pre-order.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I have an account confirmation mail, but no actual order email, which is why i saved the thing that popped up on my screen as a pdf.

Did you register at Connection and create login id and password?

Don B

Odd I did get an order confirmation email the day I pre-ordered it.

Don B