HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

My impression is that all those extra sensors are for developers , not simmers or gamers . Heart-rate and eye-tracking would provide valuable feedback from testers for tracking attention to tutorials or presentations , and in terms of game dynamics .

Foveated rendering potential ? Sure , but the Omnicept will be dust before ED implements it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

My impression is that all those extra sensors are for developers , not simmers or gamers . Heart-rate and eye-tracking would provide valuable feedback from testers for tracking attention to tutorials or presentations , and in terms of game dynamics .

Foveated rendering potential ? Sure , but the Omnicept will be dust before ED implements it .

I have a horrible feeling that foveated rendering will very quickly be put to no good. As things stand, myself and probably the majority of us, when adverts are forced upon us such as the way YouTube bombards us with them, we fiddle with our phones, or go grab a quick drink or whatever until the ad has finished. Once advertisers have the power to know whether we are paying attention or not, they will very quickly start pausing the ads whenever we look away. Mark my words, eye tracking will come at a cost.

As far as I know dynamic foveated rendering doesn’t require specific app support. At least that’s what happens with the Pimax headset when they demonstrated it with various VR games including popular ones such as HLA. So if HP can implement it properly it should be a matter of toggle on/off.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I would consider G2 . Not crazy about WMR or Steam VR , but at least I would have control over updates , something Oculus refuses to allow .

I hope HP uses better cameras in the G2 , i often come out of VR to an entirely dark room , and the S tracking is still flawless in DCS .

I was a bit sceptical about WMR comming from Oculus Rift. I have only used the reverb for DCS and asetto corsa but for this, I have no problem at all with the WMR-thing.

The headtracking has been a littla problematic. Initially I could fix it by havbe full light in the room but after the summer the tracking is not good despite full lighting, four lamps in the room, only played DCS so I dont know if its the reverb/WMR or DCS causing this.

Dont except to be able to game in a dark room with inside out tracking.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Well the G2 has extra tracking cameras so that should help, though for the most part it hasn't been an issue. But yeah, the original CV1 tracking was better than the OG reverb IMO. But the reverb was literally better in all the ways that mattered otherwise. Plus WMR seems to require much lower gfx requirements overall.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/75468/foveated-rendering-gives-reverb-omnicept-39-performance-uplift/amp.html

Tobi claims 39% VR performance improvement . (Omnicept)

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Sounds good, but as said before, would require support being written in by ED. Not sure that’ll happen anytime soon. I’d rather them focus on Vulkan and the dynamic campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I was a bit sceptical about WMR comming from Oculus Rift. I have only used the reverb for DCS and asetto corsa but for this, I have no problem at all with the WMR-thing.

The headtracking has been a littla problematic. Initially I could fix it by havbe full light in the room but after the summer the tracking is not good despite full lighting, four lamps in the room, only played DCS so I dont know if its the reverb/WMR or DCS causing this.

Dont except to be able to game in a dark room with inside out tracking.

That's because the "image" of your room layout is messed in the wmr software. You need to clear the environment data in the wmr settings and set up the room boundary again.

That's because the "image" of your room layout is messed in the wmr software. You need to clear the environment data in the wmr settings and set up the room boundary again.

Thanks, didnt know that. I’ll check that up.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

They are not afraid to cut their own sales by announcing the omnicept now. Conclusion: Stock for G2 is very limited for the next time.

By the way I am glad I did not spent money on nvidias clunky ampere cards. Now I have an option in spring 2021. :-)

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

They are not afraid to cut their own sales by announcing the omnicept now. Conclusion: Stock for G2 is very limited for the next time.

By the way I am glad I did not spent money on nvidias clunky ampere cards. Now I have an option in spring 2021. :-)

Eh, if you've got a 2080ti right now you'd be crazy to not try to get at least a 3080 if you can. 2080tis are still going for over 800+ on ebay because there's just no nvidia gpu availability right now.

Even if you lateral over to Big Navi and sell the 3080 you'll still probably come out slightly ahead.

You really should consider waiting for the Fall 2021. I hear good things about Spring of 2022. But of course the fall of 2022, we'll finally see technology breakthrough that we've been waiting for...but in Spring of 2023, now that will be worth the wait.

There is a concept of sunk cost and opportunity cost that should be considered when making tech decisions.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You really should consider waiting for the Fall 2021. I hear good things about Spring of 2022. But of course the fall of 2022, we'll finally see technology breakthrough that we've been waiting for...but in Spring of 2023, now that will be worth the wait.

There is a concept of sunk cost and opportunity cost that should be considered when making tech decisions.

I'm glad I have my tech surfboard all waxed up... I'm ready to ride it out to 2024... ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I'm glad I have my tech surfboard all waxed up... I'm ready to ride it out to 2024... ;)

I can't even imagine what lies ahead. VR came out of nowhere to change sim'ing forever. Maybe haptic feedback gloves?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I can't even imagine what lies ahead. VR came out of nowhere to change sim'ing forever. Maybe haptic feedback gloves?

The future is here now, and it's called PointCTRL. ;)

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

The future is here now, and it's called PointCTRL. ;)

I do enjoy using Miles's solution. They work great!:thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I do enjoy using Miles's solution. They work great!:thumbup:

likey, likey!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Sooo... what's your latest guess on delivery date to EU? Amazon.es now says 1 November (was 1 October). Bestware: 'till end of November'.... I hope HP is not timing it with FS2020 VR support!

Edited by impalor

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

Email from SystemActive on Friday said ETA for first preorder customers is first week in November.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Anyone seen any updated previews of production hardware, or heard buzz on when Connection will start shipping to USA customers?

I spoke to Connection yesterday; the guy said they haven’t yet received the units but gave me the impression it’s close. Reading between the lines of his comments it sounds like early November for the first batch of preorders. First week of Nov is my guess FWIW.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

I spoke to Connection yesterday; the guy said they haven’t yet received the units but gave me the impression it’s close. Reading between the lines of his comments it sounds like early November for the first batch of preorders. First week of Nov is my guess FWIW.

That is the impression I have as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I got an e-mail from Connection on October 1st saying the following:

"HP has announced that they will begin shipping HP Reverb G2 units in November. Deliveries will be prioritized based on your order date.

If you placed your order before September 24, 2020, you can expect to receive your headset in November. Due to high demand, customers who place their orders after this date will receive delivery as early as December.

We can’t wait for you to experience all that the HP Reverb G2 has to offer—you’re going to love it!"

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: