HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

My G2 arrived an hour ago.

1st thing - VR Lens Optician Reverb Gen 1 prescription lens caps do NOT fit, close but no cigar. Hopefully soon they'll make new ones for the G2, until then, on go the contacts. After this, it's all great news (IMO).

The jump from the G1 to the G2 is pretty incredible IMO. I know others said it wasn't as much as say the Odyssey/Rift S to the Gen1 Reverb, but I disagree. For me, it's easily that much of an increase in quality (I've had every single VR HMD save the 5000$ xtal, and have constantly upgraded since the first Rift kit).

I would highly, highly recommend grabbing one of these if you've been on the fence. I'll post more tonight once I've played with it a bunch more, my 5950x AMD chip didn't make it today, so I'm running on my 10900k/3090 Zotac system for now. I'm very impressed. Also, one other thing, it's wider than what MRTV suggested (not faulting or criticizing him whatsover), my glasses were just over the outside width he said would fit, and they fit fine, maybe not as much room as the Rift S, but plenty of room for fat headed glasses in my case. Running contacts anyway just to avoid any potential lens scratches until the new inserts are available from VR Optician.

It feels quite solidly made as well, the speakers I find to be especially good based on one hour use so far, great sound, and great material quality and construction. Almost as good as the Index, which is very high praise IMO as the Index is handily number one in this category.

I'll mess with it some more, and try the controllers out even though I rarely if ever use them, but the kidlet units will. I'm putting our 2 Reverbs up for sale today, and grabbing another one of these.

• Like 1

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Hmm.. seems like Europe is the poor relation in HP's eyes!

Europe is the poor relation in everything computer..... I mean ..... software.

No I mean both.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

If it is any consolation, I ordered late.... I ordered in September so I am right at the bottom of the first wave.... so upsetting!

I have booked 1 month off over Christmas for the the Hind (first reason) and the G2 (second reason).

probably neither will come this year for me.

But as I have achieved solid overtime throughout covid for each and every month, I will enjoy the down time with DCS regardless... it is just a shame it will not be with a new chopper.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

If it is any consolation, I ordered late.... I ordered in September so I am right at the bottom of the first wave.... so upsetting!

I have booked 1 month off over Christmas for the the Hind (first reason) and the G2 (second reason).

probably neither will come this year for me.

But as I have achieved solid overtime throughout covid for each and every month, I will enjoy the down time with DCS regardless... it is just a shame it will not be with a new chopper.

Ha, I had last week off, and at the time I booked the vacation, I had planned to spend much of it putting the G2 and a new video card through their paces. Struck out on both counts, obviously. Ah well, first-world problems to be sure...

1st thing - VR Lens Optician Reverb Gen 1 prescription lens caps do NOT fit, close but no cigar. Hopefully soon they'll make new ones for the G2, until then, on go the contacts. After this, it's all great news (IMO).

hmm thats a shame but not unexpected... do they actually fit over the lenses but not click into place or do the not actually fit at all ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

hmm thats a shame but not unexpected... do they actually fit over the lenses but not click into place or do the not actually fit at all ?

Pretty much both, I mean they will sort of "sit" on the lens, but applying even a tiny amount of force wouldn't do anything. The shape is different enough that it's impossible to get them over, IE the new lenses on the G2 are larger in the right (or wrong as it were) places to make the Gen1 prescription eye caps sit on top of the G2 lenses, without being able to click them on. It'd been nice if it were the reverse, IE the caps/inserts/whatever were too large, as then one might be able to rig something up to get them to stay in place, at least until new ones come out. My eyes are already itching from my stupid contacts (I have lupus and with that comes Sjogrens syndrome, which = very dry eyes and mouth). It's so worth it though, although my eyes won't agree tomorrow AM, hah.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Ha, I had last week off, and at the time I booked the vacation, I had planned to spend much of it putting the G2 and a new video card through their paces. Struck out on both counts, obviously. Ah well, first-world problems to be sure...

It got me last year with the G1 and my new computer, G1 arrived before christmas, computer arrived mid way thorough January the following year!!!!!..... GRRRRR!

The jump from the G1 to the G2 is pretty incredible IMO. I know others said it wasn't as much as say the Odyssey/Rift S to the Gen1 Reverb, but I disagree. For me, it's easily that much of an increase in quality (I've had every single VR HMD save the 5000$ xtal, and have constantly upgraded since the first Rift kit).

I would highly, highly recommend grabbing one of these if you've been on the fence. I'll post more tonight once I've played with it a bunch more, my 5950x AMD chip didn't make it today, so I'm running on my 10900k/3090 Zotac system for now. I'm very impressed. Also, one other thing, it's wider than what MRTV suggested (not faulting or criticizing him whatsover), my glasses were just over the outside width he said would fit, and they fit fine, maybe not as much room as the Rift S, but plenty of room for fat headed glasses in my case. Running contacts anyway just to avoid any potential lens scratches until the new inserts are available from VR Optician.

It feels quite solidly made as well, the speakers I find to be especially good based on one hour use so far, great sound, and great material quality and construction. Almost as good as the Index, which is very high praise IMO as the Index is handily number one in this category.

I'll mess with it some more, and try the controllers out even though I rarely if ever use them, but the kidlet units will. I'm putting our 2 Reverbs up for sale today, and grabbing another one of these.

Yeah the VR lens optician is an additional cost I have factored in.... it would have been a nice surprise if the old ones fit.... but alas no.

looking forward to your reviews of the G2.

I expect better head tracking and comfort, but how is the fps?... the same... a little better?

Sweet spot size, is it noticeable?

I bought it for the sweet spot!

with the off ears speakers I guess you can hear your companion talking to you?.... not good I am sure!

Sweet spot is very much improved, probably one of if not THE improvement in my top 3 so far, that's in the running for top spot. As previously mentioned, I have a large diameter noggin, and getting VR HMD to fit right has always been a giant PITA for me, in terms of getting the sweet spot locked in. It's larger enough with the G2 to make it a painless exercise for me so far, it's just "there" nearly every time I put the HMD back on. The sound/speakers as you mentioned might present a problem for some if there is a lot of noise or chatter in the room you play DCS in, but in my case it hasn't affected my negatively in any way so far. The sound and comms in game is excellent. I typically would try and use my own headset (Astro or Sony MDR) with my VR units, but I'm not going through that hassle with the G2 as it's unnecessary for me. Some audiophiles may feel differently, but again, IMO the sound is excellent and a true step up in VR HMDs overall. Having the speakers not actually right "on" or against my ear is a very comfortable feeling, as they hover in my case just off my ear, yet I'd swear that I had headphones on (quiet house typically).

So long as these headsets hold up well (Unlike the debacle with the G1 Reverbs, the cable issues, and so forth), this is going to be a big winner in the next quarter for HP. That's my only concern, but it's a small one as HP wasn't in on this alone, they had Microsoft and Valve in on this, and they stated repeatedly they delayed the G2 launch to ensure something like the G1 launch (bad) wouldn't happen again. As before, the quality of this unit in terms of how the materials feel/etc is excellent.

Money well spent. I've been getting AAA Wife ack a lot this month, buying 3090s, AMD 5950xs, and now Reverb G2s, but it's worth it - all my PC upgrades were for this G2, and I'm very happy with the investment made so far.

Systems

@Gman109 Mine arrived today as well, and I have immediately been reminded how much I loath windows mixed reality, relative to the experience of SteamVR with the Index. I may need to configure things differently, but my perception is that the motion smoothing algorithm in WMR is absolute trash compared to steam.

I can tell if it's poor head tracking, or the worse motion smoothing, but playing DCS in the G2 is much much less smooth an the INdex

Are you finding it different?

Mine is running on a 9900ks@5.1 + 3090, so I don't think its a hardware issue.

I sure would not like to hear of somebody getting their unit from a store before we get ours after ordering as soon as pre-ordering was opened. Wasn't that in July? Nothing personal, I would blame HP.

Maybe a bit late replying, but received mine today. Ordered in July.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Maybe a bit late replying, but received mine today. Ordered in July.

My order status has changed from Backordered to Open, and the cost of shipping has been added. I would really like to see thing arrive before my wife gets back from visiting her sister in Florida. :)

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

@Gman109 I may need to configure things differently, but my perception is that the motion smoothing algorithm in WMR is absolute trash compared to steam.

I can tell if it's poor head tracking, or the worse motion smoothing, but playing DCS in the G2 is much much less smooth an the INdex

Are you finding it different?

Mine is running on a 9900ks@5.1 + 3090, so I don't think its a hardware issue.

I have the G1 (also Rift and Pimax 8KX).

I wonder if you have gotten the reprojection to work?

For me WMR reprojection is very good and I dont notice when it shifts between 90 fps and 45 with reprojection.

SteamVR reprojektion(motionsmoothing) is also good but for me but I felt WMR motionreprojection best.

Oculus and Pimax reprojection is prone to ghosting but with WMR I dont get it.

Do you use fpsvr?

If reprojection is used you should o ly se 90 or 45 fps. The frame rate do not constantly vary if reprojection is working.

Also, it is very easy[/] to bog down any computer in DCS. If you havent tuned DCS settings for the reberb when coming from the Index(?) I can say that we should expect stutter or at least non smooth gaming.

If you use fpsvr and tune the settings you will find that you need a little extra headroom on the CPU and GPU frame times to get completely smooth gaming.

I recommend reading the Thuds guides at vr4dcs.com for the Reverb setup and the initial tuning. There is good tips for this there.

Do not do the misstake to begin with high settings because you think your hardware(for example 3090) is invincible. In DCS, it just isnt.

I have a 9900KS@5.2Ghz + a Asus Strix 3090 OC.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Well a nice surprise I got my G2 yesterday at 1pm. Everything about it is a plus compared to the G1, the only slight negative is it feels a bit more binocular-y , your eyes seem to sit just a bit further back from the lens.

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

My Reverb G2 arrived yesterday afternoon.

Beautiful image clarity

Good sized sweetspot

Audio is nice, however a little quiet for my tastes. Will be ordering some earbuds to use in my PC audio jack.

Spent most of the evening faffing about trying to get things set up, WMR for Steam VR beta, SteamVR.

Software is not setting resolution correctly, at 100% it wants to set it above 3100x3100 per eye. Have to manually input as close

to 2160x2160 as I can.

Done hardly any gaming with it yet, still messing around trying to figure out how to set reprojection on.

Quite the challenge getting everything set up, certainly not simple plug and play like the Rift S that is for sure.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My Reverb G2 arrived yesterday afternoon.

Beautiful image clarity

Good sized sweetspot

Audio is nice, however a little quiet for my tastes. Will be ordering some earbuds to use in my PC audio jack.

Spent most of the evening faffing about trying to get things set up, WMR for Steam VR beta, SteamVR.

Software is not setting resolution correctly, at 100% it wants to set it above 3100x3100 per eye. Have to manually input as close

to 2160x2160 as I can.

Done hardly any gaming with it yet, still messing around trying to figure out how to set reprojection on.

Quite the challenge getting everything set up, certainly not simple plug and play like the Rift S that is for sure.

Glad you're (almost) up and running Don.

Reprojection is set using the WMR tab in the SteamVR dashboard. There used to be a messy method using config files, but nice and easy now.

Also, the SteamVR SS values are usually set at 100% for a reason. Sometimes to do with distortion adjustments. Interesting though that 100% gives you 3100 as on the G1 it was 2160. Experiment with that value anyway. I use 200% on my G1.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Reprojection is set using the WMR tab in the SteamVR dashboard. There used to be a messy method using config files, but nice and easy now.

Also, the SteamVR SS values are usually set at 100% for a reason. Sometimes to do with distortion adjustments. Interesting though that 100% gives you 3100 as on the G1 it was 2160. Experiment with that value anyway. I use 200% on my G1.

Yeah on Steam VR resolution others are reporting the same as I with the G2, may be a bug. I have to manually input resolution at this time.

Thanks, I will check out the reprojection.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah on Steam VR resolution others are reporting the same as I with the G2, may be a bug. I have to manually input resolution at this time.

Thanks, I will check out the reprojection.

Just in case you'e not aware, you access the SteamVR dashboard from your controllers. On the G1, it was press down on the left mini-stick. Not sure about the G2 ones though.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

you can also get to them via

"x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe"

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Ok thanks I found it, reprojection is called motion smoothing right?

I changed the device refresh to 60Hz last night, now I can't find where I did that to change back to 90 Hz?

Man I so dumb.

Edit: Disregard found it in the WMR desktop app.

Don B

Its definitely a culture shock going from the well-designed simplicity of Oculus software to the more clunky WMR/SteamVR combo, but once you get things figured out, its not so bad. The default resolution relationship with SteamVR was all screwed up in the early days of the G1 too, with many people with much of the same hardware seeing all kinds of different default numbers being reported by SteamVR. With the G1, I'm still setting motion reprojection the old way of changing the lines in the config file because I hated the G1s WMR controllers so much. Hopefully the G2s controllers will be better and I can start using the dashboard thingie. WMR is a PITA, but you'll get it figured out, Don. It'll just be like learning a new language for a little bit.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yep, good point. Mine is not that path, but yep, whatever is easiest. The thing about using controllers is that it can be accessed in-game easily.

I'm still setting motion reprojection the old way of changing the lines in the config file because I hated the G1s WMR controllers so much.

Even if you don't like the controllers, it's just one press of a button! Seems way easier than drilling down through folders to get to the config file and then make changes. Also, it is not recommended to use that old method as the file gets changed with every WMR update. That then means redoing editing the config file each time. This does not happen when using the recommended SteamVR dashboard or OpenVRSettingsUX.exe as Stuart pointed out above. In fact using that would be your best option if you don't like the controllers. (Personally, I quite like them. Do the job perfectly well.)

Whew I am pretty sure if all of VR had the same learning curve to setup as the Reverb, all of VR would have never made it lol.

Don B