HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

Spent most of the evening faffing about trying to get things set up, WMR for Steam VR beta, SteamVR.

Software is not setting resolution correctly, at 100% it wants to set it above 3100x3100 per eye. Have to manually input as close

to 2160x2160 as I can.

Isn't this deliberate? Render buffer resolution is higher than screen res to compensate for the barrel distortion required by the lenses.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Whew I am pretty sure if all of VR had the same learning curve to setup as the Reverb, all of VR would have never made it lol.

Another important point Don, is that always launch DCS from within Cliff House. Put on the headset and Cliff House should automatically load and sync, then launch DCS from a desktop window within the environment. I have a desktop window sitting there ready when I enter CH. Click on your DCS icon, and it will load SteamVR and you should be good to go. Although launching DCS from your normal desktop will seem to work, it does cause issues with 6 DOF and mouse control sometimes. Launching DCS form within CH doesn't have any problem.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Isn't this deliberate? Render buffer resolution is higher than screen res to compensate for the barrel distortion required by the lenses.

That's whatI said above, but it doesn't explain why some HMDs, G1 for example, are 100% at native res. I think it's different for each HMD, although Steam have changed this value from time to time for particular HMDs.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

No it is a bug confirmed by Steam, they are working on it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Another important point Don, is that always launch DCS from within Cliff House. Put on the headset and Cliff House should automatically load and sync, then launch DCS from a desktop window within the environment. I have a desktop window sitting there ready when I enter CH. Click on your DCS icon, and it will load SteamVR and you should be good to go. Although launching DCS from your normal desktop will seem to work, it does cause issues with 6 DOF and mouse control sometimes. Launching DCS form within CH doesn't have any problem.

Thanks for the tip, I have not got as far as actually launching the game yet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Even if you don't like the controllers, it's just one press of a button! Seems way easier than drilling down through folders to get to the config file and then make changes.

True, but you're leaving out the part about digging the controllers (which I don't use for anything due to their clunkiness) out of the box each time you want to just press that one button. ;) I could either do that, or just open Notepad++, which always has a tab that takes me right to the current version of the config file. In my situation, my way is easier, and isn't going to be affected by the next change Steam decides to make to the interface to make it "look cooler". That config file will always be right there where I left it. :thumbup:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks for the tip, I have not got as far as actually launching the game yet.

I have never had problems with launching DCS from the desktop, just like before. I just plug the headset in, wait for WMR to recognize it and give me the "ready" message. Then...double-click the normal DCS icon on your desktop, pull the HMD down over your eyes, position yourself in your comfortable playing position, and wait for the exploding triangles.

Should be getting mine on Monday! :punk:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

True, but you're leaving out the part about digging the controllers (which I don't use for anything due to their clunkiness) out of the box each time you want to just press that one button. ;) I could either do that, or just open Notepad++, which always has a tab that takes me right to the current version of the config file. In my situation, my way is easier, and isn't going to be affected by the next change Steam decides to make to the interface to make it "look cooler". That config file will always be right there where I left it. :thumbup:

You truncated my post where I suggested the exe you can run without any controllers. It’s a one-off operation.

I have never had problems with launching DCS from the desktop, just like before. I just plug the headset in, wait for WMR to recognize it and give me the "ready" message. Then...double-click the normal DCS icon on your desktop, pull the HMD down over your eyes, position yourself in your comfortable playing position, and wait for the exploding triangles.

Should be getting mine on Monday! :punk:

That’s the same sequence. The only difference is you’re using the icon on the desktop rather than the virtual desktop. Same thing. The important step is to get WMR up and running first.

You truncated my post where I suggested the exe you can run without any controllers. It’s a one-off operation.

No. I quoted the part of your post that I was responding to. Big difference. :smilewink:

The important step is to get WMR up and running first.

Which happens automatically when you plug the headset in. No need to over-complicate things. :smartass:

No. I quoted the part of your post that I was responding to. Big difference. :smilewink:

And ignored the point relating to your hatred of controllers with the suggestion of how to make your life a little easier.

Which happens automatically when you plug the headset in. No need to over-complicate things. :smartass:

Not necessarily, and you have clearly missed all the posts on this subject with all the difficulties many people have had.

Can anyone explain to me, why sometimes when I first launch into the dcs hangar, I'm like 10 feet above the menu (standing above the wing of the jet) if i look down, the menu is at a crazy angle, sometimes I can decipher what's what and click on the icons and make it through. Other times I have to restart and hope the menu is more centered.

I thought it might have to do with not having my head centered / looking ahead when starting, but I've kept my head perfectly horizontal /looking forward while clicking the icon and it has still happened. Pressing numpad 5 didn't seem to work on the menus, but does work in game to center the view.

Thanks for all the other tips ive been reading in here

Can anyone explain to me, why sometimes when I first launch into the dcs hangar, I'm like 10 feet above the menu (standing above the wing of the jet) if i look down,

Happens with WMR, dunno why.

Easy fix: Press Alt+Tab until DCS is selected then hit numpad 5 to recenter. Done.

Always works.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Not necessarily, and you have clearly missed all the posts on this subject with all the difficulties many people have had.

Yes, that is the way this works. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong with your setup. You have clearly missed all the posts that basically said "All this time I thought I had to click here, then click here...open this, open that...close this...open that...when all I had to do was plug the headset in and open DCS after WMR fired up automatically"

And ignored the point relating to your hatred of controllers with the suggestion of how to make your life a little easier.

Wrong again, imacken. I explained in detail what I do as an alternative to your way, and explained quite clearly why its what works best for me. My hatred of the controllers is really a moot point now, since the G2 controllers are supposed to be a great improvement on all the things I dislike about the current controllers. Maybe I'll start using them more if they're not so clunky, and then your way will make sense for me. As of right now, my way works best for me (and may work best for others who find themselves in the same situation). Just offering alternatives and trying not to get caught up in entrenched dogma.

I'm still battling with DCS settings (1080ti here), but if anyone wants a quick preview of what the G2 can do in terms of clarity/brightness/contrast etc. download the free Aircar on Steam. It's not demanding so you can crank up super sampling to 3000 x 3000 res in SteamVR video settings. WOW.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

My order status has changed from Backordered to Open, and the cost of shipping has been added. I would really like to see thing arrive before my wife gets back from visiting her sister in Florida. :)

I have a notice that my G2 has shipped. How long are people finding shipping takes?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

I'm still battling with DCS settings (1080ti here), but if anyone wants a quick preview of what the G2 can do in terms of clarity/brightness/contrast etc. download the free Aircar on Steam. It's not demanding so you can crank up super sampling to 3000 x 3000 res in SteamVR video settings. WOW.
How's it with the 1080ti? Is it performang fine in dcs ?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Reverb G2 is phenomenal.

I had a pain getting all parts working together software wise.

But OMG it was so worth it !

Don B

Mine arrived on Thursday and I'm already getting an RMA on it. It worked for a bit but as I was setting up steamvr it just stopped working. WMR gives me the 'check your display cable' error and it looks like windows isn't seeing it as a display (doesn't show up as a monitor in device manager). Went through all the fixes I could find online but nothing. Talked to tech support and they told me to get it RMA'd from the reseller, so no idea when I'll get it replaced. Sounds like the cable or headset itself.

It was great for the hour or so it worked, I hope I have better luck with the replacement.

Mine arrived on Thursday and I'm already getting an RMA on it. It worked for a bit but as I was setting up steamvr it just stopped working. WMR gives me the 'check your display cable' error and it looks like windows isn't seeing it as a display (doesn't show up as a monitor in device manager). Went through all the fixes I could find online but nothing. Talked to tech support and they told me to get it RMA'd from the reseller, so no idea when I'll get it replaced. Sounds like the cable or headset itself.

It was great for the hour or so it worked, I hope I have better luck with the replacement.

Did WMR keep restarting every few seconds? The Error Code was 1-4 for me. I'm running a G1 version. Looks like it started happening after the latest Windows update.