HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

How's it with the 1080ti? Is it performang fine in dcs ?

Too early to tell in my case, I haven’t had time to dial in the settings to get the right balance yet.

At native resolution this thing looks beautiful. Image is sharp, crisp, and bright. I dialed up a cold start in the Jeff and the cockpit was amazing (I’m coming from the Rift S)...just couldn’t fly it at 30 FPS /-:

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

I have a notice that my G2 has shipped. How long are people finding shipping takes?

It ships from Ohio, so if you’re on the east coast or Midwest it will be two days to most locations if you chose Ground. Ships UPS.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

Too early to tell in my case, I haven’t had time to dial in the settings to get the right balance yet.

At native resolution this thing looks beautiful. Image is sharp, crisp, and bright. I dialed up a cold start in the Jeff and the cockpit was amazing (I’m coming from the Rift S)...just couldn’t fly it at 30 FPS /-:

Probably have to make sure to drop some settings in dcs and have PD in game at 1.0. I usually turn down the traffic and shadows, reduce or turn off msa if not needed.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Did WMR keep restarting every few seconds? The Error Code was 1-4 for me. I'm running a G1 version. Looks like it started happening after the latest Windows update.

No WMR doesn't keep restarting for me but it's the same error I'm getting, 1-4. From my online searches that error is kind of a catch-all with a bunch of different causes, a lot of the fixes involve reinstalling WMR and video drivers. I used an Oculus cv1 before so this is my first experience with WMR.

No WMR doesn't keep restarting for me but it's the same error I'm getting, 1-4. From my online searches that error is kind of a catch-all with a bunch of different causes, a lot of the fixes involve reinstalling WMR and video drivers. I used an Oculus cv1 before so this is my first experience with WMR.

I had an extra cable and that did not fix my issue. Fortunately, I had a backup Reverb G1. I thought it might be the cable, but my original cable worked with my backup Reverb G1. Still scratching my head on this one.

Mine arrived on Thursday and I'm already getting an RMA on it. It worked for a bit but as I was setting up steamvr it just stopped working. WMR gives me the 'check your display cable' error and it looks like windows isn't seeing it as a display (doesn't show up as a monitor in device manager). Went through all the fixes I could find online but nothing. Talked to tech support and they told me to get it RMA'd from the reseller, so no idea when I'll get it replaced. Sounds like the cable or headset itself.

It was great for the hour or so it worked, I hope I have better luck with the replacement.

Man sorry to hear that, after all this wait that bites.

Hope they get you taken care of pronto.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I used to get that ‘display cable’ error on my G1 in the early days. It was fixed by trying different USB type ports - hub, powered hub, mobo, etc. - different ports on my video card, etc.

What things have you tried?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I used to get that ‘display cable’ error on my G1 in the early days. It was fixed by trying different USB type ports - hub, powered hub, mobo, etc. - different ports on my video card, etc.

What things have you tried?

I've tried moving USB ports, USB C, regular USB using the supplied adapter, and using a powered hub. I've tried all my display ports, don't have an adapter to try the HDMI, and tested the ports with a monitor to confirm they work.

I uninstalled my video card driver, headset driver, and WMR and reinstalled. Confirmed I had all the Windows updates. Updated my BIOS. Tried all different variations of rebooting and unplugging and plugging in the cables. Only thing I can think of is trying on another rig, I just have to find one.lol

The thing is it was working for a bit and I didn't really change anything when it stopped. There are 3 places it should show up in Device Manager, under Mixed Reality Devices, Monitors, and Universal Serial Bus Devices. But after it died it won't show up in Monitors anymore. So that points to Windows not seeing the Displayport connection.

Specs :

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K

GPU: AMD RX 5700-XT

SSD: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB (Windows Drive)

SSD: WD Blue 3D 500GB

SSD : ADATA SU650 500GB

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32Gb DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16Gb)

MBD: MSI Z370 SLI PLUS (MS-7B46)

Well, it sounds like you’ve done everything you should. As you said, try it on another PC. If it still doesn’t work, then it’s dead!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It ships from Ohio, so if you’re on the east coast or Midwest it will be two days to most locations if you chose Ground. Ships UPS.

UPS, yes. I see it has been sitting in Ohio for two days, now.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Attn: Reverb G2 Owners!

I have been doing some quick down and dirty testing this afternoon.

Using the Hornet takeoff mission from the carrier, then flying low over the water, land, and towns.

Ok first up - I have my settings pretty high. I reduced PD to 1.0. Have 2x MSAA.

Got into the Hornet - first impression, cockpit don't seem all that clear to me. I could read some, but honestly was not

impressed. Took off and did all the above. Really struggled to maintain 90 fps. And a lot of stuttering down low over water and land.

Reduced MSAA to 0, did again - little better fps, but image clarity about the same, and still some stutters.

I have motion smoothing enabled for DCS in Steam VR, but if it was working it was not good. And I saw fps in 60's, 70's, 80's.

So I thought, before I start reducing much in the GFX, let's just try the ole 60Hz mode a try. Went into my WMR desktop app, and changed the refresh to 60Hz and

restarted WMR to be safe.

Loaded up the same mission, got in cockpit - and immediately I was like OMG are you freakin kiddin me?

Those instruments all of a sudden popped, the clarity was absolutely incredible and I could read them no problem. Way the heck better

than the Rift S. Oh yeah baby, now we are talking!

So I put MSAA back on to 2x, left PD at 1, and off I went. I maintained 60 fps the whole flight , even low over water, cities, towns.

Loaded up the takeoff mission from the Super Carrier, same result. Absolutely stunning! And no problem maintaining 60 fps.

So anyway that was my quick and dirty, not much spare time today. But wow, I am so pleased. I guess the thing for me will be to do some long

missions and make sure it does not affect me with nausea at 60 Hz. Initial impression is it won't.

So if any of you are struggling and have not tried it, give 60 Hz mode a try.

Now maybe my motion smoothing at 90 Hz was not working properly, I don't know. If it was, it is no where near as good as Oculus ASW.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Using the Hornet takeoff mission from the carrier, then flying low over the water, land, and towns.

Ok first up - I have my settings pretty high. I reduced PD to 1.0. Have 2x MSAA.

Got into the Hornet - first impression, cockpit don't seem all that clear to me. I could read some, but honestly was not

impressed. Took off and did all the above. Really struggled to maintain 90 fps. And a lot of stuttering down low over water and land.

Reduced MSAA to 0, did again - little better fps, but image clarity about the same, and still some stutters.

I have motion smoothing enabled for DCS in Steam VR, but if it was working it was not good. And I saw fps in 60's, 70's, 80's.

So I thought, before I start reducing much in the GFX, let's just try the ole 60Hz mode a try. Went into my WMR desktop app, and changed the refresh to 60Hz and

Loaded up the same mission, got in cockpit - and immediately I was like OMG are you freakin kiddin me?

Those instruments all of a sudden popped, the clarity was absolutely incredible and I could read them no problem. Way the heck better

than the Rift S. Oh yeah baby, now we are talking!

So I put MSAA back on to 2x, left PD at 1, and off I went. I maintained 60 fps the whole flight , even low over water, cities, towns.

Loaded up the takeoff mission from the Super Carrier, same result. Absolutely stunning! And no problem maintaining 60 fps.

So anyway that was my quick and dirty, not much spare time today. But wow, I am so pleased. I guess the thing for me will be to do some long

missions and make sure it does not affect me with nausea at 60 Hz. Initial impression is it won't.

Now maybe my motion smoothing at 90 Hz was not working properly, I don't know. If it was, it is no where near as good as Oculus ASW.

Have you tried using wmr asw?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps

It's been a while so I'm not sure if this still stands, but enabling asw always on leads to a much more stable experience. With my Samsung odyssey jumping in and out of asw led to a loss in image quality for some reason. Asw always on did not.

Thanks for this tip!

Curious what CPU/GPU you are running?

Cheers :thumbup:

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Thanks for this tip!

Curious what CPU/GPU you are running?

Cheers :thumbup:

i9 9900k@5.2 GHz all cores

EVGA RTX 3090 Ftw3 Ultra

• Like 1

Don B

Have you tried using wmr asw?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps

It's been a while so I'm not sure if this still stands, but enabling asw always on leads to a much more stable experience. With my Samsung odyssey jumping in and out of asw led to a loss in image quality for some reason. Asw always on did not.

I thought I had enabled it in Steam VR settings for DCS.

Will have a look through that doc and see if I missed something thanks.

Don B

Hmm.. this is interesting. I'm a G1 owner, and I have the same issues with the FA18 cockpit. Just not clear unless I bump SS up to 150% or beyond. (200% makes for a nice cockpit - but quite costly on resources).

I have been running 60hz mostly - but never tried running 60hz without upping S/S. I just ran 60hz instead of 90hz so the GPU could handle the supersampling I was chasing.

it doesn't make sense to me why it would be clearer going from 90 to 60hz when we're dealing simply with pixels. I'll have to try replicating the change what you've done without making any other changes and comparing.

For some reason other cockpits like the UH1 seem clearer than the hornet. I don't know if the hornet cockpit livery is just not well suited for VR or if there's more to it - but I'm willing to give anything a go. :)

Hmm.. this is interesting. I'm a G1 owner, and I have the same issues with the FA18 cockpit. Just not clear unless I bump SS up to 150% or beyond. (200% makes for a nice cockpit - but quite costly on resources).

I have been running 60hz mostly - but never tried running 60hz without upping S/S. I just ran 60hz instead of 90hz so the GPU could handle the supersampling I was chasing.

it doesn't make sense to me why it would be clearer going from 90 to 60hz when we're dealing simply with pixels. I'll have to try replicating the change what you've done without making any other changes and comparing.

For some reason other cockpits like the UH1 seem clearer than the hornet. I don't know if the hornet cockpit livery is just not well suited for VR or if there's more to it - but I'm willing to give anything a go. :)

Yeah I don't quite get it either but in my case 60 Hz made a big difference in the clarity of the image in DCS.

My other games I run 90 Hz.

Don B

Don, just a couple of points I would like to add coming from a G1 perspective. (G2 expected to arrive in the UK 27 Nov.)

Firstly, this should not be happening. 60hz is horrible compared to 90Hz with screen flicker etc. There should be no difference in terms of clarity between 60 and 90.

I would use SteamVR SS rather than MSAA or PD to sharpen up the image. I use 200% generally and no MSAA.

If you are seeing varying frame rates between 45 and 90 then motion reprojection is not working correctly. The doc linked to above sets out the same process I mentioned to you a couple of sdays ago, so presumably you have done that correctly. Remember, if you don't want the hassle of setting it via the WMR tab of SteamVR dash board, then just run ...\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe to achieve the same thing. Remember it is called Motion Vector in SteamVR. That needs to be run just once and is not affected by updates.

Also, remember NOT to edit the config file that some people may have mentioned. That is the old method and will override any settings you have made in SteamVR for WMR.

I hope that is useful.

Don, just a couple of points I would like to add coming from a G1 perspective. (G2 expected to arrive in the UK 27 Nov.)

Firstly, this should not be happening. 60hz is horrible compared to 90Hz with screen flicker etc. There should be no difference in terms of clarity between 60 and 90.

I would use SteamVR SS rather than MSAA or PD to sharpen up the image. I use 200% generally and no MSAA.

If you are seeing varying frame rates between 45 and 90 then motion reprojection is not working correctly. The doc linked to above sets out the same process I mentioned to you a couple of sdays ago, so presumably you have done that correctly. Remember, if you don't want the hassle of setting it via the WMR tab of SteamVR dash board, then just run ...\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe to achieve the same thing. Remember it is called Motion Vector in SteamVR. That needs to be run just once and is not affected by updates.

Also, remember NOT to edit the config file that some people may have mentioned. That is the old method and will override any settings you have made in SteamVR for WMR.

I hope that is useful.

OK I will have a look. Perhaps with motion reprojection not working properly that is why. But currently yes my image clarity in DCS is better at 60 Hz mode. Also is very smooth - spent more time in it yesterday afternoon and it really did not bother me. I would rather be at 90 Hz though as long as I can have the same clarity in the image.

I will be out most of the morning, will try and have a look later this afternoon.

Thanks,

Don B

I hope that is useful.

Ok maybe on to something here.

From the instructions:

I don't seem to see a Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR settings , all I have is Steam VR Settings.

1. Make sure you have opted into the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR Beta using the instructions above.
  2. Open the SteamVR dashboard.
  3. Open Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR Settings by clicking the button on the left side with the Windows Mixed Reality logo.
  4. In the UI that pops up, select the Graphics tab.
  5. Select "Auto" for "Default SteamVR app motion reprojection mode" to enable automatic motion reprojection.

Don B

Ok maybe on to something here.

From the instructions:

I don't seem to see a Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR settings , all I have is Steam VR Settings.

1. Make sure you have opted into the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR Beta using the instructions above.
  2. Open the SteamVR dashboard.
  3. Open Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR Settings by clicking the button on the left side with the Windows Mixed Reality logo.
  4. In the UI that pops up, select the Graphics tab.
  5. Select "Auto" for "Default SteamVR app motion reprojection mode" to enable automatic motion reprojection.

Are you running the beta versions of WMR for SteamVR and SteamVR? Unfortuantely I sold my Reverb a few days ago as I was expecting the G2 to arrive sooner so I can't check, but Im pretty sure you need to be running the betas to get the relevant tab appear in SteamVR dashboard.

Do you have the file I pointed to in my previous post?

Are you running the beta versions of WMR for SteamVR and SteamVR? Unfortuantely I sold my Reverb a few days ago as I was expecting the G2 to arrive sooner so I can't check, but Im pretty sure you need to be running the betas to get the relevant tab appear in SteamVR dashboard.

Do you have the file I pointed to in my previous post?

Yes - WMR for Steam VR Beta, and Steam VR.

Don B

What about the file I mentioned? Do you see that?

What about the file I mentioned? Do you see that?

I will have a look and try that out, have run out of time this morning , will have a look as soon as I get back early afternoon.

Much thanks!

Don B

OK, speak later. That file runs the same thing as the WMR tab on SteamVR dashboard. I suspect that if you are seeing it, then you should see the WMR icon in dashboard. AFAIR, its 3rd along from the bottom left.

BTW, you should amend your sig to show your new kit - GPU/G2!