HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

The whole having to deal with WMR and SteamVR settings on top of game settings sounds like it's going to be really annoying.

It's not really. Once you grasp the concept, you only have to do it once. It's pretty straightforward really, it's only Motion Reprojection that causes some confusion, and even that is quite straightforward if you follow the guidance.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Got my G2 yesterday, and still tweaking things. One problem is the DCS page is always at my feet, instead of front and center. Solution probably simple, but can’t find it.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

re-center the view in DCS... (KP5 by default) however it sounds like you havent actually centered the headset in WMR ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

It's not really. Once you grasp the concept, you only have to do it once. It's pretty straightforward really, it's only Motion Reprojection that causes some confusion, and even that is quite straightforward if you follow the guidance.

Yeah I am one of those that struggled getting it all setup for me as I needed, but after all that time doing so looking back now and it

looks like it should have been a breeze lol. Next time it certainly will be.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Got my G2 yesterday, and still tweaking things. One problem is the DCS page is always at my feet, instead of front and center. Solution probably simple, but can’t find it.

I got the DCS page centered, but I can’t get the boundary set. I center it, but it doesn’t take. Also, I keep getting a message off and on that what I see on the screen is out of focus. Any ideas?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Out of focus, is a dcs message, to let you know that your mouse is outside the window boundary or that another window has the input focus, e.g, it's on top, press alt+enter when in game to correct the problem

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Bestware just sent me an email that Europe is not getting any G2s for at least two more weeks (((((

..and from Systemactive yesterday on the UK delivery schedule..

"

We had our update meeting with HP this morning and we are passing on this information as promised.

We were inundated with calls and emails following last weeks update. Quite rightly customers were requesting delivery expectation for those who pre-ordered August onwards.

It is with great pleasure we can announce much better news than we anticipated. So here goes:

• Those that pre-ordered by 31st July will receive their orders on Tuesday 1st December (Really sorry guys this has slipped another day!)

Those that pre-ordered between 1st August and 30th October will receive their orders by Thursday 10th December

"

Thankfully ordered mine on June 30th !

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

There is one thing bugging me with my Reverb G2 and DCS.

Early on shortly after getting it set up when trying DCS, I had a flight where my instruments were clear as a bell - I am talking ultra sharp and easily readible.

However that has changed now, and I have no idea why. The cockpit is still great looking, but I don't have that sharp clarity on text like I had that one time. Text seems a little blurry now.

I have played around with position of headset on my head. I have tried all methods of motion smoothing including it being off.

I tried increasing PD a little just to see if any affect there - and I know I have always had it set to 1.0.

Now either I dreamed this, or something changed in my setup to cause this and I have no idea what that might be.

Going to keep trying to find out, might try a complete uninstall and reinstall of both Steam/SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR.

I would add other made for VR games I play are sharp as a tack.

Puzzling.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don, I'm sure you probably already did this, but did you double-check SteamVR SS? The relationship between that and render resolution has been known to change from time to time with SteamVR updates. It seems those updates come along pretty regularly, and they're automatic.

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

There is one thing bugging me with my Reverb G2 and DCS.

Early on shortly after getting it set up when trying DCS, I had a flight where my instruments were clear as a bell - I am talking ultra sharp and easily readible.

However that has changed now, and I have no idea why. The cockpit is still great looking, but I don't have that sharp clarity on text like I had that one time. Text seems a little blurry now.

I have played around with position of headset on my head. I have tried all methods of motion smoothing including it being off.

I tried increasing PD a little just to see if any affect there - and I know I have always had it set to 1.0.

Now either I dreamed this, or something changed in my setup to cause this and I have no idea what that might be.

Going to keep trying to find out, might try a complete uninstall and reinstall of both Steam/SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR.

I would add other made for VR games I play are sharp as a tack.

Puzzling.

Almosrt certainly to do with SteamVR SS. Always use that to improve cockpit clarity. Don't use PD. I use 200% on my G1.

Maybe a SteamVR update has changed the render values. Best to check that.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks guys, yeah I had already checked that. Uninstalling and reinstalling will see if that will do anything.

Don B

I give up, tried everything I know to try. No idea how I had that one or two flights early on when the text in the cockpit was so clear and easily read.

It certainly is not like that now for me in the Hornet. Disappointing.

Don B

Tips

HP put out this info yesterday. Shipping info and user tips: HP Reverb G2 Virtual Reality Headset – Shipping Update

For the users that have received their HP Reverb G2 headsets and are new to WMR, here are a few links from Microsoft that should help you get setup.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

I give up, tried everything I know to try. No idea how I had that one or two flights early on when the text in the cockpit was so clear and easily read.

It certainly is not like that now for me in the Hornet. Disappointing.

Did you try updating or rolling back to a previous Nvidia driver?

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Did you try updating or rolling back to a previous Nvidia driver?

No running the same driver as I was when I got the Reverb G2 which is the latest.

I increased resolution to 130%, but clarity still not there like it once was at 100% I know.

Maybe I am just losing my mind lol.

Don B

Hey dburne.

I think the guys might be right about the steam SS. Its highly suspect due to its value always changing un announced.

I switched from G1 to G2 and this was my finding...posted in another thread

"I wanted to do a direct comparison with my g1 which I always ran at 180% SS. I plugged in the G2 and I think it remember the default 180 value and I was like wow this is way better cliff house looked really good and then I went into DCS and was like wow big improvement then I noticed my FPS was down quite a bit. Ah ha. Its a totally different slider value for the G1 vs the G2 for the G1 180% is 2964 x 2900 for the G2 its 4252x4156. To compare fair the G2 must be set to 88% which is 2972x2908. Reviewers said they set to 100% well if you set the G1 to 100% that is 2208x2164 But if you set the G2 to 100% thinking its a fair comparison you get 3168x3100 thats about equal to the G1 at 200% SS. So im sure that gave some people the impression that the G2 is better than the G1 by more than it really is. If you set them both to equal resolution and pick a reference object (I used text in the p51) the G2 has a slight improvement if you are looking direct at the text. The G2 has a bigger improvement as you move more to the edge of the fov due to the bigger sweet spot. So now im suspect of a lot of these comparison videos"

Set DCS PD to 1.0

Then for testing you can push SS to any value you like as you approach around 300% + you'll get clarity that very much exceeds that of a monitor. So yes with current gen VR we can surpass what a panel will provide in terms of clarity. It really is worth a look just so you can experience it. Move your head slow and make sure you are stopped because FPS will be crap.

Now going back to what I provided in terms of steam SS values. I run at about 90% which gives me about was 180% used to be check your actual SS values and set them to about 4252x4156. It should look pretty dang good and be barley playable in simple missions.

When set to 4252x4156 does it still look crap?

Hey dburne.

I think the guys might be right about the steam SS. Its highly suspect due to its value always changing un announced.

I switched from G1 to G2 and this was my finding...posted in another thread

"I wanted to do a direct comparison with my g1 which I always ran at 180% SS. I plugged in the G2 and I think it remember the default 180 value and I was like wow this is way better cliff house looked really good and then I went into DCS and was like wow big improvement then I noticed my FPS was down quite a bit. Ah ha. Its a totally different slider value for the G1 vs the G2 for the G1 180% is 2964 x 2900 for the G2 its 4252x4156. To compare fair the G2 must be set to 88% which is 2972x2908. Reviewers said they set to 100% well if you set the G1 to 100% that is 2208x2164 But if you set the G2 to 100% thinking its a fair comparison you get 3168x3100 thats about equal to the G1 at 200% SS. So im sure that gave some people the impression that the G2 is better than the G1 by more than it really is. If you set them both to equal resolution and pick a reference object (I used text in the p51) the G2 has a slight improvement if you are looking direct at the text. The G2 has a bigger improvement as you move more to the edge of the fov due to the bigger sweet spot. So now im suspect of a lot of these comparison videos"

Set DCS PD to 1.0

Then for testing you can push SS to any value you like as you approach around 300% + you'll get clarity that very much exceeds that of a monitor. So yes with current gen VR we can surpass what a panel will provide in terms of clarity. It really is worth a look just so you can experience it. Move your head slow and make sure you are stopped because FPS will be crap.

Now going back to what I provided in terms of steam SS values. I run at about 90% which gives me about was 180% used to be check your actual SS values and set them to about 4252x4156. It should look pretty dang good and be barley playable in simple missions.

When set to 4252x4156 does it still look crap?

Ok thanks I am sure some off that is spot on andn may well be what happened.

Are you using global SS setting in Steam VR or per game setting in Steam VR?

Don B

Ok I have got it some better now. Re-adjusted my headset strap to get it cinched a little tighter- that helped.

I am using global resolution at 60% which gives me some SS.

Don B

Why does one need a university degree just to get some VR going on WMR/SteamVR. Talking about user friendlyness...:cry:.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Yeah at 60% its not going to look fantastic. Is that pushing the limits of your system already? Did you check it for clarity at 300% just to make sure it can deliver?

Reverb G2 Resolution is off in Steam VR currently (bug). 50% is actual full resolution of Reverb G2. So 60% is probably like 120% resolution.

Hopefully Steam gets that sorted out. It is only the global resolution setting that is off like this, per game setting is ok.

Don B

yes when the G1 was set to 100% it actually ran at near native resolution. Most of us would push it upto 150-200% You are correct that there is a bug with the G2 and yes 60% is indeed running some SS. I guess the point I was trying to make is resolutions near native aren't really that impressive which is why it was common to push the G1 to 200%. If you set the G2 to 95% you will be in that zone (180 to 200%ss) that many of us used for the G1

I also recommend pushing them to 300% still because it rules out hardware issues with HMD its self. There are many many ways for this system to encounter both optical and digital abnormalities during manufacturing that would be very easy to spot at 300% ss. That was the very first test I did when I got them running normally I went to check if any issues were present and at 300% they looked better than my monitor and I knew everything was fine from a HMD hardware standpoint.