HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

Well, after a reboot Steam downloaded an update and now it works !

Started a simple Instant Action mission and I'M IN THE FREEKIN' PLANE! It's absolutely awesome! I had no idea it would be so immersive. I had to quit out after a few minutes to catch my breath! I was able to read all of the dials (except perhaps the FCR cursor digits). I notice that I appeared to be sitting far too low in the seat and too close to the HUD and that my normal zoom in/out binds didn't work. I guess I have so do some reading and config.

Many thanks for your help. I'm completely blown away !

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

OK, so my G2 arrived today.  My first impressions are not that great.  At the moment, I wish I had my G1 back!

Initial thoughts -

1) FOV seems narrower

2) sweet spot doesn't seem that much better

3) audio is nicer

4) comfort is a little better

5) image quality doesn't seem to demonstrate the much-taunted improved contrast and 'pop'

6) most importantly, the image clarity is much worse. I clearly must be doing something wrong here, as with the G1, the text in DCS menus was solid and sharp, with the G2 it's a little jerky, and just doesn't stand out so well.  The Hornet cockpit (only one I've tried) is nowhere near as clear and well defined as the G1.  I've tried SteamVR SS at 50%, 100% and even 150% and it's just not happening.

Now, I remember dburne (I think ) had a similar experience here, but I can't remember what improved that for him. Don?

All in all, I'm sure something must be wrong, but atm, I want my G1 back!

EDIT: There is a bit of an eyesight issue in that I'm waiting for my G2 lenses to arrive, but however, I am wearing my glasses, so it shouldn't make much difference.

Edited by imacken
  • Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

19 minutes ago, shaun57 said:

Started a simple Instant Action mission and I'M IN THE FREEKIN' PLANE! It's absolutely awesome! I had no idea it would be so immersive. I had to quit out after a few minutes to catch my breath! I was able to read all of the dials (except perhaps the FCR cursor digits). I notice that I appeared to be sitting far too low in the seat and too close to the HUD and that my normal zoom in/out binds didn't work. I guess I have so do some reading and config.

Many thanks for your help. I'm completely blown away !

👍

You need to go into the UI Layer in the DCS controller menu. Click on the arrow by the plane modules, scroll all the way down to UI layer.

Here you can assign two levels of zoom and reset default view to buttons on your HOTAS.

Have fun!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 minutes ago, imacken said:

OK, so my G2 arrived today.  My first impressions are not that great.  At the moment, I wish I had my G1 back!

Initial thoughts -

1) FOV seems narrower

3) audio is nicer

5) image quality doesn't seem to demonstrate the much-taunted improved contrast and 'pop'

6) most importantly, the image clarity is much worse. I clearly must be doing something wrong here, as with the G1, the text in DCS menus was solid and sharp, with the G2 it's a little jerky, and just doesn't stand out so well.  The Hornet cockpit (only one I've tried) is nowhere near as clear and well defined as the G1.  I've tried SteamVR SS at 50%, 100% and even 150% and it's just not happening.

Now, I remember dburne (I think ) had a similar experience here, but I can't remember what improved that for him. Don?

I never figured it out. I had a mission or two early on where the clarity was just unbelievable. Have not been able to duplicate it, though it is 

still pretty good. I am wondering if maybe it is software related and perhaps an update might improve it again - who knows.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, shaun57 said:

Open file config\views\snapviews.lua (either Saved Games or install folder) in Notepad++, NOT NOTEPAD. Scroll down to about line 2444 and find the view settings for FA-18C, then locate the settings for Default VR. The y value controls seat height (lower value = lower height). FOV controls distance from HUD. Save the file in Saved Games\DCS OB\config\views.

Edited by Habu_69
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, imacken said:

Initial thoughts -

1) FOV seems narrower

3) audio is nicer

EDIT: There is a bit of an eyesight issue in that I'm waiting for my G2 lenses to arrive, but however, I am wearing my glasses, so it shouldn't make much difference.

This is not good feedback, ordered from Amazon.es so god knows when I will get my unit. 

I imagine it will be a huge improvement over my CV1 regardless 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

2 hours ago, Krupi said:

This is not good feedback, ordered from Amazon.es so god knows when I will get my unit. 

I would certainly think so.

Don B

I'm debating on if I should jump in the queue for a G2. I really want a 3090 since I already have a G1. I don't know what to do.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

9 hours ago, pimp said:

I'm debating on if I should jump in the queue for a G2. I really want a 3090 since I already have a G1. I don't know what to do.

If it's an either or, I would go for the 3090.  I saw big improvements compared to my 2080Ti.  G2 over G1? Not so much.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

13 hours ago, Krupi said:

Eh, massive improvement over the CV1!

Seems the next update planned for Dec 8th has a WMR quality improvement in it.

"We improved the visual quality of Windows Mixed Reality headsets that run in lower resolution mode."

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/169035-windows-10-insider-preview-beta-rp-channel-build-19042-662-20h2.html

Edited by dburne

Don B

Lower resolution mode? Doesn’t apply to G2, I guess. 

@dburne and @imacken,

I still have my old faithful G1 AND my new G2 - and I am wondering about image clarity improvement as well. Right now, I am on the fence in that I just might sell the G2. I have tried to compare them both by using Aerofly FS2 (because it starts up quickly ) and just sit in a 777 or Dash-8 where there are plenty of instrument panel objects and lines to measure focus with fixed-head gaze clarity away from center. I am using the detect final headset resolution capability of fpsVR to make sure that I am comparing the same resolution (I use both 2100x2100 and 3000x3000 (PD factor of 1.4). I'm thinking that for me and my vision (I am using my glasses to test in both and not my G1 widmovr lenses) that the G1 might be clearer and easier to find the correct head position in the HMD. Yes, I like the G2 cable improvement (but don't like the extra power brick cable ) but for me, I don't notice any particular color vibrancy improvement. Thanks for bringing up the subject because I always wonder when I think I have found a problem in my tech stuff, "Am I the only one?". I have searched for several days to find someone else wondering about this issue. I know that you guys on this forum thread pay VERY close attention to the quality of your HMD image and other flight sim details where others that just want to play Beat Saber, don't.

Dave W.

I'm referring to the comments above from Imacken:

"6) most importantly, the image clarity is much worse. I clearly must be doing something wrong here, as with the G1, the text in DCS menus was solid and sharp, with the G2 it's a little jerky, and just doesn't stand out so well.  The Hornet cockpit (only one I've tried) is nowhere near as clear and well defined as the G1.  I've tried SteamVR SS at 50%, 100% and even 150% and it's just not happening."

Edited by whitav8

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Yep, after a few hours further testing today, I am still not convinced. If I had never owned the G1, or if I laid G1 and G2 together, I would choose the G2. however, knowing what I know now, would I recommend G1 owners to upgrade to a G2?  I'm not sure I would.

I am a bit happier than yesterday with the image clarity, but I'm wondering if I am just getting used to it now.

Using the G1, I would do my testing at the SteamVR SS rates of 100%, 170% and 200%. These convert to (approx) 48%, 82% and 98% in the G2 SteamVR pixel count.  I can't run with 48% (too blurry), I'm OK at 82% (my G1 favoured SS) and 98% is too much of a resource hog.

So, I settled for 82% and I get acceptable image clarity, but no better than G1.

I know I'm repeating much of what I said above, but:

Things I like:

Bit better comfort (but wasn't an issue before)

Bit better sound ( I always liked the off-ear sound of my Index)

No mura, but I didn't notice any before in a non-testing situation

Hardware IPD (but wasn't an issue for me in G1)

Controllers are definitely better

Tracking is better with quicker Cliff House sync, but again, it wasn't a major issue for me before

Cable is way better.  The old thick heavy one was pretty horrible.

Things I believe have not changed:

FOV (might even be narrower)

Image clarity

Image quality - contrast might have improved a little, but I still feel the colours are too 'washed out' compared to Index, Vive Pro

Sweet spot - there might be a slight improvement, but it is slight.

It's those 4 things above that make me feel a little disappointed after all this wait.

All in all, I would say if you are coming from any other consumer HMD apart from the Reverb G1, then you won't be disappointed.  The G2 is a superb HMD for the price. But.....

(I'm continuing to test, and there is always the possibility that I'll discover something new!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@imacken,

I just wonder whether there was a compromise required when they decided to make the lenses handle adjustable IPD. Also, I wonder if this clarity issue might have to do with our particular corrective lens prescription - mine is:

O.D.    -2.00    -2.00    92   
O.S.    -2.75    -2.25    84       IPD = 64.5

Keep us posted on what you find that makes the G2 definitely more clear - especially away from the center of our gaze! I certainly feel that I have to take more care with the G2 to tilt it just so as well as position it high / low just so

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

VR - Reverb

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

On 12/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, imacken said:

Initial thoughts -

1) FOV seems narrower

3) audio is nicer

Wow Mine comes in a few weeks. I've got the reverb g1. I expect much better View. In the preview from different youtubers is this the Dream, so I think it's software related issue. I see some differences in wmr updates and steamvr updates through time. 

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Just got mine, similar thoughts to others - it seems a minor upgrade to the G1.

I think the image is a little clearer in the centre, the colours a tad brighter and the audio up to Index quality. It is comfy though I didn't have an issue with the G1, perhaps I will be more inclined to wear this longer, time will tell.

I didn't have an issue with IPD with the G1 (mine is 65) and find the manual IPD adjuster doesn't seem to match my expectations as I notice clear binocular overlap on anything more than minimum (60). This feels the most comfortable for me but doesn't match my measured IPD. If anything the sweet spot is even more pronounced now and maybe smaller. The Index remains king in terms of (lack of) centre to edge variation.

My G1 had some mura only really noticeable against solid backgrounds and if I really looked for it. That seems resolved with the G2

I am happy with the purchase as my son was looking to get a Reverb off eBay so he gets a better deal having mine and I get to have the latest 🙂 However, after the reviews perhaps I expected a bigger difference and in my view it is quite minor visually with the biggest gain getting the audio from last year's Index.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, whitav8 said:

@imacken,

I just wonder whether there was a compromise required when they decided to make the lenses handle adjustable IPD. Also, I wonder if this clarity issue might have to do with our particular corrective lens prescription - mine is:

O.D.    -2.00    -2.00    92   
O.S.    -2.75    -2.25    84       IPD = 64.5

Keep us posted on what you find that makes the G2 definitely more clear - especially away from the center of our gaze! I certainly feel that I have to take more care with the G2 to tilt it just so as well as position it high / low just so

Hmm, interesting theory, but my prescription is not similar to yours.  Sorry!

I have noticed a lot of faffing around with positioning than before, as you said.   The face cushion seems very far from the headset with a big gap showing.  If you push the headset towards your head, obviously the FOV improves. A bit like the dial on the Index.  I'm sure that gap is a lot igger than the G1, but, I might be wrong.

12 minutes ago, boedha68 said:

Wow Mine comes in a few weeks. I've got the reverb g1. I expect much better View. In the preview from different youtubers is this the Dream, so I think it's software related issue. I see some differences in wmr updates and steamvr updates through time. 

Maybe, we'll see. 

I have just picked up a G1 cheap ish & coming from cv1/rift s/ odyssey plus I love it I was very surprised how vibrant the head set is not as good as the odyssey but very nice and the blacks far better than the rift s and pin sharp in comparison.

I had chance of 2 G2s from another forum because the G2 not being what they was expecting.

Edited by freehand

On 12/1/2020 at 1:42 PM, dburne said:

You will need two programs from Steam:

1: Steam VR.

2: Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR.

Once installed:

Launch Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR. This will launch the WMR Portal, Steam, and Steam VR.

Launch DCS from your DCS.exe. If VR is checked in settings, it should open up in VR. If not check VR in settings and then relaunch.

Important: There is currently a bug with WMR and the G2 video setting, currently 100% is way to much. Set it to 50% to get as close to 2160x2160 as you can.

That should get you started, good luck!

Sorry, can you explain what you mean by this? I just jumped into VR yesterday, so assume I know nothing. Also is this just a DCS issue or a WMR wide issue?

What issue are you referring to?

2 hours ago, 98abaile said:

Sorry, can you explain what you mean by this? I just jumped into VR yesterday, so assume I know nothing. Also is this just a DCS issue or a WMR wide issue?

Not sure what you are asking? The post you replied to was pretty well self explanatory?

Don B

Would anyone who like myself still has their G1 and also the new G2,  try to simply evaluate the clarity (reading text and at a given closeness to a panel and then holding your head fixed and looking (gazing) around and looking for clarity comparisons away from the center of the screen - switching back and forth between the two HMDs but making sure you don't change any settings except what is required to get the final resolutions in pixels x pixels the same - at least with two different settings like maybe 2160x2160 and then 3000x3000.

Thanks - I want to keep the G2 but not if I am really giving up some clarity.

Dave W.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

VR - Reverb

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

2 minutes ago, whitav8 said:

Would anyone who like myself still has their G1 and also the new G2,  try to simply evaluate the clarity (reading text and at a given closeness to a panel and then holding your head fixed and looking (gazing) around and looking for clarity comparisons away from the center of the screen - switching back and forth between the two HMDs but making sure you don't change any settings except what is required to get the final resolutions in pixels x pixels the same - at least with two different settings like maybe 2160x2160 and then 3000x3000.

Thanks - I want to keep the G2 but not if I am really giving up some clarity.

Dave W.

I can do that since I still have both.  So far it has been going back to the previous generation of HMD that has made me appreciate how much I have gained with the newer generation, like going from the CV1 to the G1.  It'll be interesting to do the same with the G1 and G2 and see if I get a similar effect.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: