HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

24 minutes ago, Milou said:

In which case why have a G2...? You'd be better off with an Index or Rift S or something less demanding.

That is what I am wondering. Per the specs of the G2 it says it can run on full resolution on the RTX 3070. Is anyone using the 3070 with the G2?

you can run it at full res, you just wont perform very well in DCS if you do... and or you will comprise a lot of settings ... for 99% of games you will be fine, but not with DCS or the other civilian flight simulator, as the both want a lot of VRAM at those full resolutions bear in mind with a G2 at 100% you are driving over 19.5m pixels total...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

16 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

sorry thats not my post, its on my thread but, i dont have that particular faceplate mod. 

I have tried the FrankenFov mod , and its not very comfortable for me though the FOV is wider , the faceplate version might make it a little more comfortable but it will likely reduce the FOV increase. But one of the big pluses of the G2 over the G1 is comfort, I can wear the thing for hours and not notice I am wearing it, so going back to less than that was worse than the FOV increment was a benefit (a few degrees maybe).

The FOV on  the G2 is a little wider than the G1 ... but a lot depends on your face shape an IPD ... mines 68.5... etc... 

cheers that's all i need to know the cable on the G1 drives me nuts. 

22 hours ago, outhaus said:

So is the 3070 out of the question with a G2? I currently have 1070 with the original Oculus Rift and was going to upgrade to the 3070 and G2. The 3090 or 3080 will not fit inside my Aurora R7. I would believe the 3070/G2 will be a big upgrade however should I consider a different headset with the 3070?

1) Not out of the question: just compromised.

2) Get a new bigger PC case. Of course, this is extra expense that you might not want to spend.

13 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Because not everyone can upgrade everything all at the same time ... and 50% on the G2 is broadly equivalent to the G1 in terms of Clarity 

Upgrade point: true.

50% G2 equivalent to G1: is it? (I just to have a Rift S, but have no experience of the G1). Why: poorer lens? Just as demanding on hardware on comparable basis though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Milou said:

50% G2 equivalent to G1: is it? (I just to have a Rift S, but have no experience of the G1). Why: poorer lens? Just as demanding on hardware on comparable basis though.

Yes it is... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I have a G1 and recently received my G2.  I'm sending the G2 back.  It's marginally better than the G1 with the exception of the FOV, which is worse in the G2. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Just now, DerekSpeare said:

I have a G1 and recently received my G2.  I'm sending the G2 back.  It's marginally better than the G1 with the exception of the FOV, which is worse in the G2. 

So you don’t think the G2 has better audio, better controllers, better comfort, better cable, better IPD control, better tracking, etc.? 
Oh well....

I wouldn’t take my G1 back. 
Each to his own, I guess. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

52 minutes ago, imacken said:

So you don’t think the G2 has better audio, better controllers, better comfort, better cable, better IPD control, better tracking, etc.? 
Oh well....

I wouldn’t take my G1 back. 
Each to his own, I guess. 

Better controllers, yes, but I don't use them.  Audio?  I have muffs.  IPD?  I'm ok with software controlled.  Tracking?  Ho hum...it's the same as the G1.  But all that is really subjective.  What is NOT subjective is the reduced FOV from the G1.  That can be measured.  It is less than the G1.  That alone is the deal breaker.  I'll use the money for a new 3080 if they ever go back in stock.

The G2 is only beneficial for those not coming from the G1. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

1 minute ago, DerekSpeare said:

Excuse me if I wholeheartedly disagree.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

3 hours ago, DerekSpeare said:

Better controllers, yes, but I don't use them.  Audio?  I have muffs.  IPD?  I'm ok with software controlled.  Tracking?  Ho hum...it's the same as the G1.  But all that is really subjective.  What is NOT subjective is the reduced FOV from the G1.  That can be measured.  It is less than the G1.  That alone is the deal breaker.  I'll use the money for a new 3080 if they ever go back in stock.

I did the following Mod for my G2.

It helps the FOV a little, I however probably would not notice it as much as others as I am half blind and can only see left of center of my vision.

I can tell it is a little better on my left periphery.

It also helped image clarity a little by putting lens a little closer to my eyes.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I found it tremendously uncomfortable by comparison to the regular interface

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dburne said:

I did the following Mod for my G2.

It helps the FOV a little, I however probably would not notice it as much as others as I am half blind and can only see left of center of my vision.

I can tell it is a little better on my left periphery.

It also helped image clarity a little by putting lens a little closer to my eyes.

I did see that!  I wrote VRCover a few weeks back to see if they are planning a new facial interface for the G2 that allows for more FOV, but they said the typical, "thanks for the idea...bla bla...".  It was Ang up there who claimed more FOV with the G2, but that was bogus.  I like my G1.  It works for me.  Maybe VR cover will come up with a better FOV, but who knows. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

16 minutes ago, DerekSpeare said:

I did see that!  I wrote VRCover a few weeks back to see if they are planning a new facial interface for the G2 that allows for more FOV, but they said the typical, "thanks for the idea...bla bla...".  It was Ang up there who claimed more FOV with the G2, but that was bogus.  I like my G1.  It works for me.  Maybe VR cover will come up with a better FOV, but who knows. 

Yea he's full of it I like my G1 very hard to decide to upgrade the only thing I don't like is the lead and after reading your experience I starting to wonder on the G2.

The G1 is as sharp as a sharp thing if I push it so no problem in that department as for the other benefits of the G2 I have no interest. 

Edited by freehand

The image may be marginally "better" by way of colors (maybe), but once I tested the FOV against the G1 I stuck it back in the box and packed it out for return.  I don't see 650 bucks of value over the G1.  The G1 is superb.  Sure, there are some ancillary improvements with the G2, but none where it's needed, mainly the FOV.   Until I see the G1 image quality with a 140+ degree fov, I am staying where I am 😄

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

7 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I found it tremendously uncomfortable by comparison to the regular interface

Yep, agreed. I tried as well, and although there is an improvement in FOV, the loss of comfort - which probably is the biggest improvement over the G1 - wasn’t worth the 3 week delivery wait from VRCovers!

Tbh, I don’t see much difference in the FOV between G1 and G2, but, of course, any improvement is welcome. 

yeah for me they are similiar... FOV but i wonder if this is because of manual IPD settings i'm at 68

Edited by speed-of-heat

Just now, speed-of-heat said:

yeah for me they are similiar... FOV but i wonder if this is because of manual IPD settings i'm at 68

Me too. I’m 68 IPD as well!

3 minutes ago, imacken said:

Me too. I’m 68 IPD as well!

well on evidence of two data points of people who both think the FOV is fine with high IPD... @DerekSpearewhats your physical IPD ?

Sebastian measured the G2 to have wider FOV than G1 as we’ve seen already. It would be interesting to know why @DerekSpeareis seeing a negative difference. A lot of this is down to face shape, eyesight, etc., but I don’t see this as a general issue judging by overall reaction and evidence  

41 minutes ago, imacken said:

Sebastian measured the G2 to have wider FOV than G1 as we’ve seen already. It would be interesting to know why @DerekSpeareis seeing a negative difference. A lot of this is down to face shape, eyesight, etc., but I don’t see this as a general issue judging by overall reaction and evidence  

Empirical evidence v subjective feel. That's the problem with opinions, they vary so widely and can be so wrong.

Edited by C3PO

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Coming from Rift S to Reverb G2, my impressions:

• G2 image quality on sweet spot much improved.
  • G2 colours, much improved
  • G2 rays and shimmer, much improved
  • G2 frame rates, with beefy hardware much improved
  • G2 sound quality, miles better
  • G2 microphone, it works well. Rift S microphone useless.

But,

• G2 comfort, worse
  • G2 sweet spot, smaller but perhaps so noticeable because it is so clear in the sweet spot. This was a surprise and disappointment to me given the rave reviews from the Youtubers given preview units.
  • G2 tracking in DCS, worse. Not a deal breaker, but not as clear as the Rift S when looking down at cockpit

Manual IPD does not make much difference to me. FOV not noticeably different. G2 much, much more demanding on hardware.

G2 is an significant upgrade from the Rift S for sure, but not the tour de force that I hoped it would be. Especially given the development time between the Rift S and G2 and the price differential. Plus the whole launch bollox of the G2 definitely soured the experience for me.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

well on evidence of two data points of people who both think the FOV is fine with high IPD... @DerekSpearewhats your physical IPD ?

I'm also a 68 and happy with the FOV

The Frankenfov mod is really not an option for me. I have prescription lenses fitted and with those in if I press the headset as close as possible with the face plate still fitted my eyelashes are touching the lenses.

Even if I take the face plate off and hold the headset as close as I can I really don't see much FOV difference and certaily no sweet spot increase.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Before I ordered the VRCover pads, I was wondering about that as well as I also have prescription lenses fitted.  However, I have found that isn't an issue.  It doesn't allow you to go right on top of the lenses.  As I said above, there is a bit of an improvement in the FOV using this mod, but is it worth the big loss of comfort compared to the original pad? Not sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shaun57 said:

I'm also a 68 and happy with the FOV

The Frankenfov mod is really not an option for me. I have prescription lenses fitted and with those in if I press the headset as close as possible with the face plate still fitted my eyelashes are touching the lenses.

Even if I take the face plate off and hold the headset as close as I can I really don't see much FOV difference and certaily no sweet spot increase.

I also have prescription lenses, and with my face shape the lenses are not the problem, for me. For my own discomfort with the frankenfov, it comes to two things the actual shape  of the interface which feels less comfortable, but breathing, I either get darkness and no ability to breathe through my nose or a ruddy big gap in the nose, both of which are undesirable outcomes.  I suspect if an aftermarket interface comes out it might address these...but in the mean time I will stick with the native interface 

• Like 1

Looks like I need to wear my contact lenses with this headset.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5