Copying my Aircrafts Input X52 Controls to New Computer. Help please!

Hello fellow pilots! Been enjoying DCS for a few years now. I'm a VR user with a flight seat, x52, and pretty fun setup. I recently bought a new rig with a 2080ti to boost the heck out of my VR and gave the old gaming rig 1080 Ti to wifey.

Here's the issue. I went to C:\Users\myname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input ... as I googled I should. Copied everything to a jump drive. Then I paste the input in the new computers same area. Using Beta on both PCS. When I open the same file path on the new computer and go to inputs it even seems to have the joystick LUA or whatever that is called saved on the new computer. Load up DCS world beta. Get in my mirage 2000c and....boom....not a thing works as it should. None of the x52 inputs are working. What gives? What am I doing wrong? I have about 6 different modules all mapped out and truly don't want to manually have to set them all up again.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

When you look at the files you backed up, there should be a long string of numbers and letters. That's going to be the hardware ID of the controller. You'll need to edit those to match what the hardware ID's are now since you have a new computer. Windows would have reassigned those automatically.

An example, one of mine looks like this: Joystick - HOTAS Warthog {7706D510-24D2-11ea-8003-444553540000}.diff.lua

However even if I reinstalled Windows, it might now look like this: Joystick - HOTAS Warthog {7706D510-24D2-11ea-8003-444553541234}.diff.lua

It usually much more different than that though. What I tend to do is remap one or two controls to find the ID, then just copy that string of digits over my old files.

I'm sure there's a more efficient way, but that's how I've been doing it for years.

I think the import can just happen from the existing files on the pen drive

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

This is quite a problem. When you have multiple modules and been flying for many years you invest hours and hours on your key bindings. Any significant hardware change or full re install of windows assigns different id numbers to each usb plug in.

I am holding off a re-install of Windows 10 because of this issue. It would be interested to know if there is any easy solution to it.

As I see it Oiten is right. But for me to do this, I have rudders, two leo bodnar boards, 2 Cougar MFDs, throttle and joystick. 7 unique USB number to copy down before I reinstall and then on the re build edit the USB ID numbers.

Anybody know a better way?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

Thank you for the replies. So, long story short, should I just copy and paste the different version of this thingy ------ Joystick - HOTAS Warthog {7706D510-24D2-11ea-8003-444553541234}.diff.lua

...on top of the "new different one" on my new computer?

This is absurdly difficult and beyond stupid by the way. I mean, good god. 2020 and this is how this works lol?!?!? All good, I'm a happy dude and all. but justy sayin'

So all in all what do I need to do because some of the replies here threw me off. Thank you fellas!

You don't want to use what I posted since that was just an example.

To start, I would map some kind of control to your stick as it is right now.

That will generate a file Joystick - XXXXXX {xxxx........}.diff.lua, this will contain the brand new hardware ID.

I would then find your backup file, replace just the information in between {} (the hardware ID) then paste the file over to the directory DCS uses.

I would not overwrite your backup files in anyway, make new copies of them, in the event you do something wrong.

If you have any more questions about it let me know and I'll try and help further.

That will generate a file Joystick - XXXXXX {xxxx........}.diff.lua, this will contain the brand new hardware ID.

I would then find your backup file, replace just the information in between {} (the hardware ID) then paste the file over to the directory DCS uses.

I would not overwrite your backup files in anyway, make new copies of them, in the event you do something wrong.

If you have any more questions about it let me know and I'll try and help further.

Thank you! I wasn't going to use exactly what you posted lol....barely savvy enough to realize that that was an example.

Ok, your reply gives me an approach. Thank you. Will attempt tomorrow. Appreciate it!

One thing I forgot to mention, if you have any modifiers you use on your controllers, those are housed in a separate file. So you may have some commands that won't work. You should just manually re-add those modifiers in DCS as its the easiest option.

I can confirm that this works.

I just set a new PC up with DCS and did this exact trick to all my controller key binding files.

You need to do it separately to all the controllers you have, joystick, throttle, rudder pedals etc.

It's tedious, but you get all of your old settings back.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Thank you. Would you please clarify the following in bold? I get replacing everything in between those parenthesis "thingies" lol, but the part where I then paste the file....I don't get it. Thank you!-

I would then find your backup file, replace just the information in between {} (the hardware ID) then paste the file over to the directory DCS uses. ----------If I'm replacing whats in between the {} then why do I need to copy and paste a file? or what file. Lost on that part.

***Oh i think you are calling what is in between the {} as the "file"

Edited by redmantab

Posted too quickly.

On your old computer you have files for your setup. And DCS has generated a special ID for your joysticks, that's in the file name.

On your new computer a new ID will be generated.

Copy that ID and replace in the file name of your old setup. Then you can use your old setup file on your new computer.

I'm probably very unclear here.

But if you still have issues with this, I can post some screenshot.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to say Thank you! It worked. FAR too tedious.....but at least I figured it out. This sim is great, but everything sure is complex and the barrier to entry is a mother trucker of a detriment to DCS' growth.

Cheers!

Many of us like the complexity, it's the difference between playing a game and flying a sim.

Just wanted to say Thank you! It worked. FAR too tedious.....but at least I figured it out. This sim is great, but everything sure is complex and the barrier to entry is a mother trucker of a detriment to DCS' growth.

Cheers!

DCS is not a SIM. It's a lifestyle.

Freude am fahren...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk