Eurofighter Typhoon Facts and Myths FAQ

Spectre11

Hi folks,

like you I was quite positively surprised and pleased with yesterdays official announcement by ED that a new 3rd party development team called TrueGrit Virtual Technologies has taken on the challenge to bring us the remarkable Eurofighter Typhoon to DCS World. It's not long ago that I said it is not entirely out of scope or impossible, that it would happen so fast, however was not forseen by me.

The probably most frequently asked question now for most is, what variant/version of the Typhoon we'll get. I can't answer this question and it's not the intention of this thread to do so. Instead I want to give you a little insight into the Eurofighter programme and how it is setup to help you understand what you can possibly expect and what not. I want to clear up some myths with regards to the real aircraft and offer you the opportunity to ask questions related to the real aircraft. Ofcourse I cannot respond to anything, but I'll give my best to answer your queries.

Note that I'm not a member of TrueGrit and I'm not speaking on behalf of them either!

The below listing is neither exhaustive, nor complete and in some cases a bit simplified, but should be enough for you to get a clue. Read carefully, before raising questions and correlate this with what TrueGrit might announce in the future to get a grip of what you can expect from their Typhoon module, bearing in mind that DCS strives for realisim and will most likely not be an adwark Frankenstein Typhoon.

NETMA/Eurofighter/Eurojet

The NATO Eurofighter and Tornado Management Agency (NETMA) was created in 1996 by merging the NEFMA for the Eurofighter programme with the NAMMA for the Tornado programme. The NEFMA (NATO European Fighter Aircraft development, production and logistics Agency) was founded on 1st February 1987 to manage the overall Eurofighter programme on behalf of the 4 European Airforces involved in the programme. It is NETMA who harmonises the 4-national requirements and negotiates and signs the contracts with industry.

The Eurofighter Jagdflugzeug GmbH is a quadrinational industry consortium formed on 2nd June 1986 to manage the development and production programme of the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft on behalf of the industry. Eurofighter is an overarching management agency working in close cooperation with the 4 Eurofighter Partner Companies, BAES, Airbus Defence and Space and Leonardo.

The Eurojet Turbo GmbH is the equivalent for managing the development and production programme of the EJ200 turbofan engine representing the engine companies Rolls Royce, MTU Aero Enginges, Avio and ITP.

ESR/WPSP/MDC

In September 1987 the four European Airforces issued their European Staff Requirement for Development (ESR-D) specifying the exacting Airforce requirements for the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft and its EJ200 engine.

These requirements were written into a Weapon System Performance Specification (WSPS) specifying the performance, equipment, functionalities etc. of the aircraft. This WSPS formed the basis for the Main Development Contract signed on 23rd November 1988. The outcome of the MDC would be the Full Operating Capability Standard aircraft as specified in the WSPS.

It is noteworthy that the ESR was amendet in the post Cold War era, with the release of a revised ESR on 21st January 1994 and the WSPS was updated accordingly.

Umbrella Production Contract

The umbrella production contract was signed on 30th January 1998 covering the production investment phase to setup the production lines and establish the supplier base. It also covered long lead time activities in anticipation of an actual production contract for the production and delivery of aircraft. The 4 Core nations firmly commited to the acquisition of 620 aircraft, but ordered none under the umbrella production contract. It was instead planned to split the production into three seperate Tranches which would be contracted individually.

Tranches

The Tranches are mere production contracts for the production and delivery of a defined number of aircraft and engines to the contracting nations over a contractually agreed delivery schedule. It's a wide spread misconception that Tranches translate into capabilities. This is not the case! Tranches are only indirectly related to capabilities as all aicraft are ofcourse build to a specific standard. However the capabilities were layed out in the WSPS and not the Tranche contracts!

Batches

The Tranches are divided into Batches and further broken down into Blocks. The purpose of the Batches was to segregate distinctively different build standards by managing them in Batches. This concept effectively applied only for Tranche 1 and was merely superseded by Tranches 2 & 3A as the aircraft build under the latter Tranches were too similar to each other in contrast to earlier plans. As a consequence there were 4 Batches.

Blocks

The Block represents the exacting build standard of an aircraft. It is possible to link capabilities to the baseline configuration of a particular Block, but that was only valid to a specific point in time. Earlier Blocks have always been upgraded to higher standards equivalent to newer Blocks. The Block numbers haven't changed, however, and unlike in other aircraft programmes Blocks in the Eurofighter programme are not really indicative in terms of capabilities, other than at a particular point in time when these aircraft were build.

SRP/PSP/PSC

The above abbreviations are in fact the more common terminology in the Eurofighter programme describing capabilities.

The Service Release Package (SRP) effectively describes the overall capabilities of the aircraft, including clearance, specific system functionalities etc., but allows for some variations.

The Production Software Packages (PSP) are designators describing the overarching software functionality of the aircraft's three major electronic system constructs, namely the Flight Control System (FCS), the Utility Control System (UCS) and the Avionic System (AVS). This leads to the appropriate software packages FPSP, UPSP and APSP respectively with numbers and letters identifying an exacting package, i.e. APSP3/10/00. A PSP could be understand as the package number for a combination of specific software partnumbers. Note that the Eurofighter features dozens of computers with software. Each computer has its software and the revision of the software has a partnumber. This is similar to any other software, it's like FCS World 2.5.X.

The Production System Configuration (PSC) is the most exacting description of actual capability as it defines the allowable combinations of electronic hardware partnumbers with software partnumbers. Integrating dozens of computers into a working system is challenging and it needs to be ensured that everything fits together. Such a fit is described by the PSC covering effectively all AVS, FCS and UCS equipment, plus the gun and propulsion electronics for control and monitoring. The PSCs comprise up to 6 digits, with the first digit originally based on the PSP number, i.e. PSP2 = PSC 2.XX.XX.

The capabilities

How all of the above fits together is now being described.

Tranche 1

The Tranche 1 contract signed on 18th September 1998 covered the production of 148 aircraft and 363 engines for the four core nations, albeit 15 aircraft were eventually diverted to Austria.

Tranche 1 comprised the Batches 1 & 2.

Under Batch 1 the 5 original Instrumented Production Aircraft (IPA) were build in addition to Block 1, 1B, 1C standard aircraft.

Block 1/1B/1C (2003/2004):

These aircraft are commonly refered to as Batch 1 aircraft. They were all twinseats used for initial operational test and evaluation as well as pilot conversion training. They only provided rudimentary air-to-air capabilities. I'll not discuss in detail the rather minor differences between the Block 1 sub-blocks.

Block 1 = SRP1 (Entry Into Service - standard) = PSP1 software = PSC 1.X configuration

FCS: No Autopilot, limited load authorities, advanced features like disorientation recovery and automatical low speed recovery missing.

Cockpit: No DVI (Direct Voice Input) or HMSS (Helmet Mounted Symbology System = HMD)

NAV: LINS, GPS, RADALT, TACAN (GE & IT only), GPWS initial functionality

COMMS: 2 x V/UHF radios and comms audio management unit

DASS: Only DASS computer (DAC) and chaff/flare dispensers

Attack & Ident: Captor M-Scan radar with initial AA functions and limited AG functions.

Weapons: Gun mounted but not cleared, 2 x AIM-9L Sidewinder, 2 x ASRAAM, 4 x AIM-120A/B AMRAAM

Block 2 (2005):

Block 2 aircraft were the first Tranche 1, Batch 2 built aircraft and included the first single seat series production aircraft. Block 2 introduced the SRP2 Initial Operating Capability standard providing enhanced aircombat capabilities.

Block 2 = SRP2 (IOC) = PSP2 software = PSC 2.0

Additions on top of SRP1:

FCS: Initial Autopilot

Cockpit: Initial DVI

NAV: TACAN in MIDS-LVT, functional enhancements, MLS, DME-P

COMMS: MIDS/LINK16 introduction

DASS: ESM/ECM

A&I: Captor-M enhanced software for AA and AG functions + initial sensor fusion

Weapons: 1 x 1000l tank on centreline station, gun clearance for AA firing, 2 x IRIS-T

Block 2B (2006):

Block 2B were initially almost identical to Block 2, but the final configuration represented the definitive IOC standard (SRP3).

Block 2B = SRP3 = PSP2 = PSC 2.1+

Differences to SRP2:

FCS: DRF, ALSR, clearances

Weapons: 4 x SRAAM, 6 x MRAAM, 3 x 1000l tanks

Block 5 (2007/2008):

Block 5 represented the definitive Tranche 1 build standard and the completion of its development also concluded the Main Development Contract. There were in fact to capability standards SRP 4.0 & SRP 4.1, the latter being the MDC closure FOC (Full Operating Capability) standard. I'll limit the description to the eventual SRP 4.1

Block 5 = SRP 4 = PSP3 = PSC 3.1X

Differences on top of SRP3:

FCS: 9 g clearance, enhanced autopilot and clearances

Cockpit: Full DVI

NAV: MMR incl. ILS/MLS, full GPWS, new GPS and additional nav system functionality

DASS: Towed Decoys and LWR fitted

A&I: Radar full AA and AG, PIRATE IRST/FLIR

Wepons: AIM-120C5, digital ASRAAM, 2 x GBU-10, 4 x GBU-16, 6 x UK PW II, modified tanks, FPR/GPS pods, gun AG.

Note that under the Retrofit 2 programme all Block 1 and 2 aircraft, incl. sub-blocks were brought up to an Block 5 equivalent standard. They were not Block 5 afterwards by identifical from a capability point of view.

SRP 4.2 (PSC 3.2 - 2008):

This capability standard was introduced by the RAF to provide an auster AG capability by adding the Litening 3 LDP, 1000lb FF bombs and Enhanced Paveway II dual mode bombs.

SRP 4.3 (PSC 3.3 - 2010):

First 4-national upgrade after MDC closure. SRP 4.3 can be described as the definitive FOC standard as the MDC was closed with a number of concession and limitations. SRP 4.3 finally matches the requirements specified within the WSPS.

Noteable additions:

- Everything from SRP 4.2

- New GPS, radios, enhanced MIDS, radar software, HMSS, MAWS clearance

Upgrades:

T1 aircraft has received a number of upgrades over the years, most notably new radar and DASS software and partially hardware and the so called Drops adding software enhancements to all major sub-systems and clearing the aircraft for selected Tranche 2 / 3A avionics equipment.

Tranche 2

The Tranche 2 contract was signed on 14th December 2004 covering 236 aircraft and 519 engines for the Core nations. 18 A/C were order by Austria, three of them were cancelled and the rest more or less directly diverted to the Core nations as replacement for the 15 T1 aircraft they diverted to Austria. Saudi-Arabia ordered 72 Tranche 2 Typhoons, but technically spoken received 48, with the remaining 24 being Tranche 3 equivalent.

Tranche 2 covered the largest number of Blocks, but they were to similar to warrent multiple batches and there was subseuqntly only a single Batch 3 with Blocks 8, 8B, 9, 10, 11, 15 and the export equivalents (Block 8A for Austria and above Blocks with a C letter, i.e. Block 9C for Saudi Arabia).

Block 8 represented the T2 entry into service standard featuring SRP 5.0 = PSC 3.6, PSP3. SRP 5.0 was capability wise similar to SRP 4.0 for T1 Block 5 A/C, this was owed to the fact that the mission computer suite on T2 A/C was replaced with more capable hardware neccesiating the software to be converted to run on the new processors. The SRP 4.0 related PSP3 revision was used as a stable baseline to achieve this. Other T2 enhancements comprised some structural enhancements, eletrical system changes and many other design optimisations/modifications.

SRP 5.0 (2008/2009) was similar to the above described SRP 4.1 description minus:

- No AG weapons and no gun AG clearance!

Block 9 (2010) aircraft became the first to introduce SRP 5.1 which was the defintive FOC standard for T2 AND T3A aircraft and largely similar to SRP 4.3 for T1 A/C, but lacking the AG capabilities introduced by SRP 4.2 on T1 A/C.

The T2 Blocks evolved from a hardware perspective and there individual software updates, but nothing that really made a difference from an overall capability perspective. These T2 A/C were operationally inferior to T1 SRP 4.3 A/C at that time!

Tranche 3A

Tranche 3 was planned to comprise 236 A/C and 500 engines, but was split into partial Tranches 3A and 3B for financial reasons.

Only Tranche 3A was contracted on 31st July 2009 covering 112 A/C and 241 engines. T3B was eventually cancelled!

Tranche 3A covers only a single Batch 4 and the Block 20 (2014) & 25 (2016) which differ by their computers. T3A included a massive Common Obsolescence Removal Programme (CORP) replacing in two steps most of the aircraft’s mission computers, but also FCS and UCS equipement.

Other than this T3A aircraft only introduced additional provisions fort he AESA radar, CFTs, fuel dump (UK only) and some others. T3A A/C didn’t add any new capabilities per se over and above the T2 A/C, as the contracted standard was SRP 5.1! Only the concidence of the P1E introduction led to the T3A A/C being delivered at the P1E standard!

PxE

The Phased Enhancement programmes have evolved the T2/3A Eurofighter Typhoon beyond the FOC standard achieved with SRP 4.3 for T1 and SRP 5.1 for T2/3A.

P1E represented the first such upgrade and was contracted in March 2007. P1E was split into P1Ea and P1Eb. A P1Eb Further Work standard followed latter on, mainly to provide compatibility of P1Eb with the T3A aircraft’s hardware configuration (CORP computers).

P1Ea = SRP10 = PSP4 = PSC 10 (2013)

P1Eb = SRP12 = PSP4 = PSC12 (2015)

A generic list of changes for P1E overall:

Multirole MMI incl. Improved DVI and HEA AG capabilities

Enhanced MIDS, navigation functions, T2 radar software, IFF MODE 5

Weapons: 6 x EGBU-16/GBU-48 EPW II, 6 x Paveway IV, full Litening 3 LDP integration, IRIS-T digital integration, full AIM-120C5 integration

The majority of T2/3A aircraft have been upgraded to P1E or latter standards by today.

P2E contracted in 2013/2014 was split into two parts P2Ea & P2Eb.

P2Ea = SRP20 = PSP5 = PSC 20 (2017)

P2Eb = SRP22 = PSP5 = PSC 22 (2018)

P2Ea introduces several avionic system enhancements, including a further improved MMI, MIDS improvements, nav system, DASS, radar software, sensor fusion.

New weapon: Storm Shadow

P2Eb is mainly centred around the introduction of Meteor.

P3Ea was a UK only contract from 2014 building on the outcome of the 4-national P2Eb programme. It primarily adds Brimstone 2 as a weapon and improved integration of existing weapons.

P3Ea = SRP30 = PSP6 = PSC 30 (2018)

Note that the SRP designations are no longer used these days. There have been several national modification programmes ongoing in various nations incl. Enhancements on top of the described standards which I will not further detail here.

P3Eb is the standard for Kuwait incl. The Radar 1+ AESA radar, Sniper LDP, VOR navigation and several other enhancements incl. Ballistic bombs (Mk80 series) and some GBUs. There will be a knock off of P3Eb for the Core nations still with the M-Scan radar. The retrofit of the AESA to German aircraft will build on the P3Eb standard first. Deliveries to Kuwait are scheduled to start this year (2020).

Hope the above sheds some light on the subject and increases your understanding of the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft and its capabilities. The majority of the changes are software driven with hardware upgrades here and there. The computer suite has seen some repeated refreshes/replacements over the years.

Cheers

Spectre

Edited by Spectre11
Dates added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Detailed and well researched work.

Clears a number of misconceptions especially the Tranche thing.

The way I read it, the typhoon looks like the F-16 with many software versions, blocks, and export versions.

Thank you for your time and effort at this.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Hi folks,

like you I was quite positively surprised and pleased with yesterdays official announcement by ED that a new 3rd party development team called TrueGrit Virtual Technologies has taken on the challenge to bring us the remarkable Eurofighter Typhoon to DCS World. It's not long ago that I said it is not entirely out of scope or impossible, that it would happen so fast, however was not forseen by me.

Thanks for this outstanding post @spectre11

Really nice knowledge about the Eurofighter! Congrats on that!

Stuff like that keeps everybody in the Loop !!! Keep posting to open everybodies eyes !!!

-TITS-

Lead SME Eurofighter Typhoon

TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for this outstanding post @spectre11

Really nice knowledge about the Eurofighter! Congrats on that!

Stuff like that keeps everybody in the Loop !!! Keep posting to open everybodies eyes !!!

Thanks TrueGrit2. Maybe you guys can make this thread a sticky to keep the info up. It'll surely help people with no or little insight to get a better understanding.

Best regards and stay healthy.

Very interesting - thank you.

It sounds like we'll be luck to get cannon and laser guided bombs in the air-to-ground department... with things like the brimstone being very unlikely...?

I'm also a bit surprised to see that unguided bombs were a late addition (for the export models). In the 1990s it was assumed that the Eurofighter would carry unguided bombs and unguided rockets... but I suppose that delays in production meant that we'd switched over almost entirely to guided weapons by the time it came into service?

Were any unguided rockets actually cleared for use on it?

Are there other variations on capabilities depending on the nation they belong to. For example do all T1 block 5s have PIRATE or can this change country to country?

Concerning PIRATE Germans and Austrians don't use it all others do. There are a couple of differences between the nations.

The Itialian aircraft have engine fire exstinguishers installed, other don't have them. There are differences in the structural health monitoring approach with Germans and Spanish using a parametric approach for airframe fatigue calaculations, whereas British and Italian aircraft have strain gauges installed for this purpose. The British examples are the only ones to feature laser warners.

Today the commonality is shrinking. Every user is introducing national modifications from hardqare to software. Britain is leading here and as I described the only user of P3Ea thus far. The national developments are of fed into the 4-national developmenr stream, but this one is slower so many operators nowadays first introduce individual changes nationally to satisfy requirements at the earliest posdible date.

Very interesting - thank you.

It sounds like we'll be luck to get cannon and laser guided bombs in the air-to-ground department... with things like the brimstone being very unlikely...?

I'm also a bit surprised to see that unguided bombs were a late addition (for the export models). In the 1990s it was assumed that the Eurofighter would carry unguided bombs and unguided rockets... but I suppose that delays in production meant that we'd switched over almost entirely to guided weapons by the time it came into service?

Were any unguided rockets actually cleared for use on it?

Brimstone 2 won't be available, at least not from the beginning. Keep in mind that TrueGrit wants to start with a German version of the type and Brimstone is thus far avaiöable to Britain only with the UK exclusive P3Ea standard.

Unguided weapons were not integrated before, with exception of the UK 1000lb FFB. CRV7 and BL755 were both deleted from the requirements. NATO members typically use PGMs to minimised the risk of collateral damage. Integrating umguided munitions does't meet this objective and was subsequently no priority for the core nations.

Thanks TrueGrit2. Maybe you guys can make this thread a sticky to keep the info up. It'll surely help people with no or little insight to get a better understanding.

Best regards and stay healthy.

Good Idea! I will tell DASH to make it into one!

-TITS-

Lead SME Eurofighter Typhoon

TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you TurGrit for making this thread a sticky.

I have updated the opening post to include the indicative dates when particular standards were first introduced. I have taken the earliest dates where particular standards were first introduced by one customer, which was often thw RAF especially since the PxE programmes emerged.

Brimstone 2 won't be available, at least not from the beginning. Keep in mind that TrueGrit wants to start with a German version of the type and Brimstone is thus far avaiöable to Britain only with the UK exclusive P3Ea standard.

Unguided weapons were not integrated before, with exception of the UK 1000lb FFB. CRV7 and BL755 were both deleted from the requirements. NATO members typically use PGMs to minimised the risk of collateral damage. Integrating umguided munitions does't meet this objective and was subsequently no priority for the core nations.

Sadly, the lack of unguided munitions (i.e. EF2000 as envisioned entering service at the end of the 1990s) probably means that I won't get it until after I know if these can be modded in. It is strange - but I've never really enjoyed lasing a target as much as I enjoy the use of unguided munitions. I'm an obsolete creature myself apparently. This is sad because it is no fault of the module makers (who will likely make every effort to build a realistic aircraft without such obsolete systems).

Thanks for the reply though - it'll help me temper my expectations - and if I really want the CRV-7 I can always boot up an old copy of EF-2000 (although the rockets lack any modelling of dispersion etc.)

The Eurofighter has the means to deliver unguided munitions with the typical CCIP or CCRP modes. I don't know how well it works with Paveways, but it's an option if you don't want to lase your targets.

In a sim you don't need to care for the cost difference of the bombs.

Yeah the good old EF2000 still runs well with Relpaded and doesn't look to bad woth hires, accelerated and Track IR support. Still a great game even a quarter century after its release.

Am I understanding it right that Tranche 2 has no A/G capability?

Tranche 2 block 8 nope, but block 10 yes.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Am I understanding it right that Tranche 2 has no A/G capability?

Tranche 2 aircraft had no meaningful AG capabilities until the P1E upgrade emerged which is likewise applicable to T3A aircraft. From a capability point of voew there is currently no difference between T2 and T3. All depends on which individual aircraft has been upgraded to particular standard and which has not. Initial T2 at SRP 5.0 essentially lacked AG capabilities altogether. At SRP 5.1 the delivery of LGBs was possible with third party designation, but this capability was not really exploited operationally as T1 at SRP 4.3 featured LDP integration as well as EPW II integration that was missing from T2 aircraft. With the introduction of the P1E upgrade on T2 aircraft they eventually became multirole capable. The majority of T3 was directly delivered at the P1E standard. In the meantime T2 and T3 have been or are being upgraded to the later P2E and P3E capability standards dependent on the operators. It is notewortjy that all T1s at SRP 4.3 featured the software for LDP support, but only the UK also installed the wiring to permit the LDP to be used. This has meanwhile changed for most operators, but Germany and Austria. Germany skipped its plans for fitting its T1s with the necessary wiring, apart of one aircraft.