Corsair time frame?

Dr_Wigglespank

I'm new to DCS, so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, as I don't see a specific section/post for discussing the Corsair.

I've been thinking about purchasing a WWII module, specifically the Mustang, but since reading about the upcoming Corsair, I decided I'd much rather have it than the Mustang. There's always the TF-51D to scratch my warbird itch until the Corsair comes out.

How long do announced modules usually take to appear in the game? Being new, I have a lot to keep me busy until this comes out, but a general time frame would be nice (six months, a year, or more).

Magnitude gave a presentation of the aircraft back in December (see https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256985), but they didn't show either its cockpit nor any external closeups, so I'd guess that it was still at least 6 months away at the time and I hope that Magnitude is trying their best to have it released before the mid-year Holidays .. but just a guess.

If I were on your place, I'd purchase the Mustang to take advantage of its current low price .. if you can spare the Money, I would also purchase Normandy to operate the aircraft on a more appropiate scenery.

If you intend to do one of the P-51 paid Campaigns, then consider also the WW2 Assets Pack, as it is needed for those Campaigns.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Or do what I'm doing and mess around on p3d until it comes out.

Right now I'm putting myself through ground school, and as soon as I get paid I'm starting primary on the N2S Stearman from Golden Age Simulations. After that I cant decide if I want to fly the BT-13 for basic, or just skip to the A2A T6 Texan. The BT-13 I found is old and kind of shitty graphics wise.

Theres tons to learn, tons of fantastic quality aircraft, and if you look around you can find alot of the original course materials to aid you in you training.

But I'm a turbo nerd about this stuff so....lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm more interested in the Pacific Theater than the European, and the Corsair is my favorite WWII fighter (watched too much Baa Baa Black Sheep as a kid), but the Pacific map and Corsair seem to be a ways off.

I was not aware a P-47 was coming to DCS. I just read some posts about it, and that is a far more interesting plane than the Mustang. I guess I need to decide if I grab the Mustang for a sweet price, or wait for the Jug. I'll give the Mustang a try next week with the free trial and decide then.

I'll definitely grab Normandy and the Assets pack while the sale is on, though, as getting the P-47 when it comes out is a certainty.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm more interested in the Pacific Theater than the European, and the Corsair is my favorite WWII fighter (watched too much Baa Baa Black Sheep as a kid), but the Pacific map and Corsair seem to be a ways off.

I was not aware a P-47 was coming to DCS. I just read some posts about it, and that is a far more interesting plane than the Mustang. I guess I need to decide if I grab the Mustang for a sweet price, or wait for the Jug. I'll give the Mustang a try next week with the free trial and decide then.

I'll definitely grab Normandy and the Assets pack while the sale is on, though, as getting the P-47 when it comes out is a certainty.

RIP Robert Conrad

"OR.....you could just wait a couple of weeks "

Where have you heard that timeframe? I am about to hit the buy button while the Harrier is on sale. I just flew it for free and it's great.

But, I do not have unlimited simming money as some people seem to. If that two weeks is true, I'll wait.

Just wondering if you know that for a fact. If you're just guessing, I'll pick up the jump-jet.

"OR.....you could just wait a couple of weeks "

Where have you heard that timeframe? ... If that two weeks is true, I'll wait.

Once upon a time, Matt Wagner, from ED, made the mistake of promising the delivery of some item "in two more weeks" ... of course that timeframe was not met and it originated an insiders joke, that has been repeated so many times that currently isn't funny at all. Buy the Harrier, it's a really enjoyable aircraft in spite of a few bugs and items still not finished.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

RIP Robert Conrad

RIP George "Pappy" Boyington

Vid of Conrad with Pappy Cameo in episode

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

If you guys haven't read Black Sheep One I highly recommend picking up a copy. On a side note, My Dad was in the military around 2001 attending Defense Language Institute, Monterey CA. He wrote to Mr. Conrad around that time, and actually got a phone call from him congratulating him on his graduation.

I mean how cool of a guy do you have to be to call your fans personally?

As for Pappy, let's just say he and I would've gotten along well for sure.

I loved that show recorded all episodes on cassette tape back then so i could listen to it for many years to come I have the complete set on dvd now. Pappy was suppose to be signing autographs at an air show i went to as a kid but he never showed up slept in LOL. That show is the reason i joined the navy and worked as a aviation electricians mate on F/A-18 Hornets, C-130 and E6-A (Boeing 707 Tacamo) aircraft. Wanted to join the Marines but i hated to run lol. Somewhere on youtube there is a interview with Conrad when he talks about getting his private pilots license and flying to the set of black sheep squadron. One day he was flying himself and Pappy to the sets airfield when Pappy asked to take the yoke. He had a hard landing and crashed Conrads plan LOL. God Bless them both

Edited by OzzyDog153

I loved that show recorded all episodes on cassette tape back then so i could listen to it for many years to come I have the complete set on dvd now. Pappy was suppose to be signing autographs at an air show i went to as a kid but he never showed up slept in LOL. That show is the reason i joined the navy and worked as a aviation electricians mate on F/A-18 Hornets, C-130 and E6-A (Boeing 707 Tacamo) aircraft. Wanted to join the Marines but i hated to run lol. Somewhere on youtube there is a interview with Conrad when he talks about getting his private pilots license and flying to the set of black sheep squadron. One day he was flying himself and Pappy to the sets airfield when Pappy asked to take the yoke. He had a hard landing and crashed Conrads plan LOL. God Bless them both
Sounds like him for sure hahaha

"To our fallen companions whose bones rest on the bottom of the sea in the Solomon Islands, cut down in the bloom of youth, denied the pleasures of life, which by chance, the rest of us have enjoyed. To Gregory Boyington, the courageous, charismatic leader of our days of glory. To Frank Walton, who from our early days has not only been our Boswell, our biographer, in creating the Black Sheep legend, but by his own life has been friend, inspiration and role model to all. To Jim Reames our compassionate squadron doctor, whose medical treatment, Lejon brandy and cheerful good humor helped each of us to bear the stress of combat when death was a frequent visitor to our squadron. To our wives and ladies without whom life would have been a fruitless, cheerless existence without meaning. To each of us, once a proud, brave brotherhood in arms, today we are bound by our own actions in the Black Sheep legend as friends forever. Last to our beloved Marine Corps. We all knew when we put on the forest green uniform that it would ask us to put our lives at risk, which it did, and it would give us only pride and self respect, which it has."

— Bolt's toast at the VMF-214 50-year reunion in 1993.

As a descendant of Gregory Boyington.. I am also very enthusiastic about the introduction of the F4U Corsair as well as the Mariana's map into the DCS World. Working from home during this time of quarantine, I have a signed print of Boyington making his 21st kill in the Corsair right in front of me every day. Cheers!

Only the Corsair can start with a 3 bladed prop and land with a 4 bladed prop. And vice versa. The good old Hamilton Standard Vari-Blade system. Far more advanced than merely adjusting pitch...

Great show. Stupid, but still great.

• Like 1

Yeah, the show was rediculous, but I just had to watch it for the airplanes. A lot of the real surviving Black Sheep weren't happy about how Boyington allowed the TV show to represent them. None of it was real and the stories were just plain silly. I don't think he cared much. He was getting a big check.

The final year when they tried to save the show by adding , "The Lambs," even I stopped watching it.

Only the Corsair can start with a 3 bladed prop and land with a 4 bladed prop. And vice versa. The good old Hamilton Standard Vari-Blade system. Far more advanced than merely adjusting pitch...

Great show. Stupid, but still great.

I mean, it would have been different if they would have had a jillion Corsairs to choose from for flight sequences. Cut them some slack!

Edited by Robert31178

Once upon a time, Matt Wagner, from ED, made the mistake of promising the delivery of some item "in two more weeks" ... of course that timeframe was not met and it originated an insiders joke, that has been repeated so many times that currently isn't funny at all. Buy the Harrier, it's a really enjoyable aircraft in spite of a few bugs and items still not finished.

"Two weeks" was a running joke in the late 90's with the developers of Warbirds.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I mean, it would have been different if they would have had a jillion Corsairs to choose from for flight sequences. Cut them some slack!

I am cutting them some slack, but really you only need ONE aircraft to film start up and shut down.

As someone pointed out already it just got bad toward the end, but there are lots of big airplanes so I watched it anyway. The only part that bothered me was Boyington throwing his guys under the bus for a paycheck. Granted, he was as flawed as the rest of us and needed it. I still visit him

whenever I'm at Arlington.

The "two weeks" thing started well before Matt. It was something from the original, IL2 1946, decades ago.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

• 3 months later...

Well all of these posts are from March, and now its August and not much info yet.

The Corsair F4U is My favorite plane and I look forward to flying it ASAP

and landing it on the Carrier that Magnitude will provide with the Corsair

and the Super Carrier will be nice as We can watch what happens and get

clues as to how to become better at landing.