Corsair time frame?

Dr_Wigglespank

Yes, the 'two weeks' gag came from the days of the banana forums

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

• 1 month later...

I hope they give us the C version with the 20mm cannons.

That would be so cool. I used to fly it a lot in War Thunder.

Great plane and carrier capable with the upgraded landing gear.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wonder if they can re-use any "piston engine" code from the P-47. If I'm not mistaken, they both used the Pratt and Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp.

While it's true that they use the same engine the P-47 is an ED product while the Corsair is a Magnitude 3 product and I don't see them exchanging code.

Even if they did I suspect it's not a drag and drop solution. They have to test it to make sure the performance matches the real aircraft, and that would be if the engine was exactly the same which is not the case. If my memory is correct Corsair uses 2 superchargers while the Thunderbolt uses a supercharger and a turbocharger and that drastically changes the engine characteristics (engine response, power relative to altitude etc). Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there is nothing that ED could give to help with the development of the Corsair. There may be an API just for radial engines and it could probably help speed up the development, I just don't think it is that simple.

Furthermore let's not forget that the Corsair has been in development for quite some time. I would assume that Magnitude 3 has delved quite deep into engine and switching to a new API or whatever else ED could provide them with might actually delay rather than speed things up.

Magnitude 3 has mentioned that they plan to update us in the state of their modules including the corsair in the next few days. Let's hope we will have some exciting new information regarding the state of the project.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I wonder if its possible to get "wait fatugue" . I squeeled when the P47 and mossie were announced but by the time they were released I was bored of the whole thing. I felt Id been sitting in them of 12 months already given the unending WIP shots and teaser videos. Bought neither in the end. Same for the Apachie. In fact all the modules I enjoy were either already out when I paid some attention to them or were whim buys during sales. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 8:27 AM, Callsign112 said:

I would say your missing two great planes, but I don't own the Mosquito yet. I consider the DCS P47 to be one of the WWII highlights of the SIM... But the Corsair/Pacific theater thing is going to be like a whole new game for me. 

Also, the F6F Hellcat would be awesome as well. 

It killed more Zeros than any other plane.

• Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

On 5/17/2022 at 11:00 PM, AG-51_Razor said:

What's not to like??!! 🤣

Compared to the F4U (and other WW2 fighters like the Spitfire and P51 tbh) the F6F has always been viewed as utilitarian. The F6F was dropped very quickly after WW2 while the F4U was retained sending a message that the F4U was superior.

Grey has as far as I’m aware flown a large sample of WW2 and later aircraft so he’s choosing from first hand experience. To me the fact he likes the F6F so much is interesting, Eric Brown liked the F6F also while famously having little good to say about the F4U. 

I look forward to flying both the F4U and F6F in DCS.

• Like 1

In much of the historical material that I have read about the US Navy's war in the Pacific, the Hellcat's appeal came from a couple  different areas, especially when compared to what it was replacing. It was relatively fast, had a very good rate of climb, was every bit as rugged as the Wildcat but possibly just as important as all of those attributes, and maybe more so, was it's handling characteristics around the boat. It was very well behaved in the landing configuration, which was extremely important when you consider the relatively low experience level of most of the junior officers in the cockpit. Compare this with the Corsair and you might see why the Hellcat was so loved by those that flew it. I don't think that there is any question about the Corsair's superiority over the Hellcat but at the time, the Hellcat was in the right place at the right time and kicked some serious a$$!!

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Right on @AG-51_Razor,

The main problem with the Corsair was that it wasn't really good for carrier ops. It becomes unstable at landing speeds and the gear would often break because

the plane wanted to fall out of the sky. Most pilots ended up at too fast a speed and the gear couldn't handle the stresses. The long nose made 

carrier approaches difficult. You couldn't see well enough to line up with the boat. You had to approach from the side and then turn into the boat

at the last second.

The Navy actually tried beefing up the gear, but then they decided to give it to The Marines for land-based operations. If you remember the "Black Sheep Squadron" TV show, they didn't do carrier ops. They were based on land and used by the Marines.

Edited by rayrayblues
  • Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

15小时前,Mogster说:

The F6F was dropped very quickly after WW2 while the F4U was retained sending a message that the F4U was superior.

F6F was designated to counter Japanese fighters so it retired quickly after the Pacific War.

• 1 month later...

After WWII the US military put the Mustang and the Corsair toe to toe to see which was the better fighter and the Corsair won hands down. Can't wait for this plane to come out. It was apparently the best American fighter plane of WWII

Edited by Carcosa
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Carcosa said:

After WWII the US military put the Mustang and the Corsair toe to toe to see which was the better fighter and the Corsair won hands down. Can't wait for this plane to come out. It was apparently the best American fighter plane of WWII

Pilots reviews at the late 1944 Pauxnet Joint Fighter Conference placed the F4U behind the P51 and P47 as a fighter aircraft above 25000ft. Below 25000 pilots placed the P51 and F4U around equal. This makes sense as compared to the P51 in particular the F4U isn’t a very aerodynamically efficient aircraft, but as a carrier plane defending ships against attacks rarely from more than 15000ft then that’s just fine. Horses for courses, the F4U wasn’t designed with high altitude performance in mind.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that the F4U is a large heavy aircraft, much heavier than the P51. Size and weight don’t tend to help manoeuvrability.

• Like 1

It might also be important to keep in mind that the USAAF was able to "retire" the Jug from the pure air to air fighter role with the introduction of the P-51D and assign it to a fighter-bomber role, which it accelled in. The US Navy didn't have the luxery of large air bases with acres and acres of parking for several types of aircraft specializing in various roles. The Corsair showed itself to be every bit as capable a pure fighter as the Hellcat but was just a little late to the party having to work out the carrier suitability issues that plagued it early on, consequently most of the deck and hangar space was already spoken for by the F6F, TBM and SB-2C. As the war dragged on though, the Navy decided to begin cutting down on the number of SB-2C's and TBM's assigned to the air group and placed Corsairs aboard that could fulfill both roles as a fighter and bomber.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

47 minutes ago, AG-51_Razor said:

As the war dragged on though, the Navy decided to begin cutting down on the number of SB-2C's and TBM's assigned to the air group and placed Corsairs aboard that could fulfill both roles as a fighter and bomber.

This decision was not made because of Corsairs ability to replace SB2C and TBF/TBM.

It was result of "Special Attack" appearance and the need for more fighters to deal with it.

Both the F6Fs and the F4Us served until war end as a fighter/bomber on carriers.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |