Multi GPU (CF) and CPU optimisation

Gil80

Hi all,

I have an old PC running 2x R9 290 and an overclocked Core i7 3770K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR. The game is on SSD.

1. Does 2.5.5 support or have a way of supporting CrossFire using AMD drivers Adrenaline 2020

2. Should I disable Hyperthreading for the CPU? I noticed that disabling it, the game will take a bit longer to load, however, all cores are about 90%+ utilised.

I tried to do an FPS comparison with and without hyperthreading, using just in the cockpit and outside view on the runway, as a starting benchmark and I didn't notice much of a difference.

It could be because either it has no effect or I'm missing out on something.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

2: That is indeed the correct and expected result, DCS Disk I/O can use a lot of threads to load all kinds of assets.

But too much threading, or rather improper or not optimized thread behavior (priority, etc) may lead to negative side effects https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4263080

As for HT/SMT in general, no it shouldn't help much otherwise, that's normal for DCS right now.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

2: That is indeed the correct and expected result, DCS Disk I/O can use a lot of threads to load all kinds of assets.

But too much threading, or rather improper or not optimized thread behavior (priority, etc) may lead to negative side effects https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4263080

As for HT/SMT in general, no it shouldn't help much otherwise, that's normal for DCS right now.

Thanks for the answer.

Can Process Lasso help in any way? Should I limit dcs.exe to 4 cores if I enable HT?

Or should I just enable HT and not mess with it at all?

Anyone?

Well some people swear by Process Lasso but I never had any luck with it ran worse no matter what I did with Project Lasso..

It really boils down to your system and what settings you have.. there is no magic bullett in DCS Case.. Well maybe brute force LOL!!

EDIT: I did try one last test with Process Lasso I ran DCS.exe on cores 0-2 then ALL other Processes on core 3.. it was hard trying to get all the other processes working on 1 core but ended up getting DCS to run and it seemed to have worked a bit..

I would imagine the more cores you have would be helpfull in getting this to work.. I only have a i5 7600K so just 4 cores.. but it worked for sure but not major FPS increases.. it seemed more balanced and smooth..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2