Alternatives to using an endless amount of Leo Bodnar boards?

obious

Hi All,

To give a bout of context, I’m currently going through the motions of building an F-18C VR cockpit.

So far, I’m using two Leo Bodnar BU0836X boards as well as three TM Cougar MFDs but am planning on building out my own DDIs.

With the anticipated additional buttons of the DDIS that I’ll have to plug into *something*, I’m trying to think of another solution that won’t require me to buy at least another 2 LB boards (not just the BU0836X but maybe different ones he sells instead).

I’ve started to look into DCS BIOS as a possible solution but does anyone know of any alternatives to buying more LB boards? It’s not the cost necessarily that I’m worried about, more that I’m running out of USB ports on my PC :lol:

Thanks!

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Alternatives to using an endless amount of Leo Bodnar boards?

Hi,

The Bodnar boards are more expensive than Arduino but they allow you to use them for more than one module and game. They also have individual serial numbers so Windows won’t scramble the inputs when you reboot the PC. The BU0836X boards are the most expensive and I only bought enough to meet my needs for potentiometers. The BBI-64 is cheaper and handles rotaries, encoders, push buttons and toggles. The BBI-64 works well in DCS but not in a well known space sim, also with the initials of ED, as Windows does not recognize more than 32 inputs. In that case multiple BBI-32 cards might guide your purchasing.

Arduino with DCSBios is cheaper but at present limits you to a single airframe.

It is the old adage “Cheap, Fast, Good, but you can only pick two”. In the end I only need to buy Bodnar once and they meet meet my needs across multiple modules and games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Teensy 3.6

6 axis, 128 buttons. Like an Arduino, except I'm much more familiar with them.

Have heard about this one infrequently being used. Does it also require you to program a sketch? Once created is each real button/switch position assignable across modules in DCS or other games? If you have more than one can you keep windows from scrambling input assignments. I am always trying to learn other options.

Have heard about this one infrequently being used. Does it also require you to program a sketch? Once created is each real button/switch position assignable across modules in DCS or other games? If you have more than one can you keep windows from scrambling input assignments. I am always trying to learn other options.

Sounds interesting but from Googling it, not sure how all those connections can be made?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

For the record, depending on your hardware, Windows limit does not matter. HID controllers can have 128 buttons in DCS. I've seen them all in Helios also in the past.

I've owned Epic cards for twenty five years. No, you don't want to pay for one.

There's the Brydling B256A13 board. Not sure if he still makes them. I bought one when I was building my A10 cockpit. There's 256 digital inputs and 13 analog inputs. There's no encoder support though. He hinted that he was going to update the firmware to allow for the use of encoders but that was 3(?) years ago and I never heard back from him. He may have just left the hobby.

EDIT: Wow, it's been 5 years since I last talked to him. He hasn't posted anything in almost 3 1/2 years so you're probably out of luck unless you can find one that someone bought and never used.

EDIT 2: Here's his LinkedIn profile. https://www.linkedin.com/in/niclas-morin-82283623 Seems that he has moved on to bigger and better things.

Edited by Thick8
  • Like 1

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Sorry...

Yes you have to program sketches, and I also give them individual names which Windows recognizes and DCS ignores. The good news is you can rename them in DCS so your devices can be easily identified.

The number of connections depends how you do the connecting; there are (plus our minus a couple) 57 digital inputs and 4 more analog. You'll need a breakout board to get to all of those and if you don't use I2C those are your connection limits, but with a switch matrix you end up with quite a few more switches.

As far as DCS, or windows, is concerned they're joysticks with buttons. Lots of them. I've never tried to use Target or anything like that, I just assign switches. They're all dual pole, unless they're three pole or 10/12 position rotaries. There are also some encoders; one switch for clockwise, another for counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise if you speak British), and another for push.

It helps to be handy with a soldering iron, but you can buy the breakout boards from Talldog and I think they sell them with the teensy installed.

DCS doesn't see more than 6 axis from a single controller, so I've done some creative control management. A board with fewer switches might have a pigtail to handle analog controls from a different system.

Everything here, with the exception of the MFCs, is Teensy powered. 6 of them.

IMG_0784.jpg

...and yes, you really can put an insane number of switches on these controllers. I think I only to to 127 on the COMM board...ok, it has more than most because the 5x8 UFC switch matrix lives there; that's an extra 40 switches.

Controls.PNG

Hi All,

To give a bout of context, I’m currently going through the motions of building an F-18C VR cockpit.

So far, I’m using two Leo Bodnar BU0836X boards as well as three TM Cougar MFDs but am planning on building out my own DDIs.

With the anticipated additional buttons of the DDIS that I’ll have to plug into *something*, I’m trying to think of another solution that won’t require me to buy at least another 2 LB boards (not just the BU0836X but maybe different ones he sells instead).

I’ve started to look into DCS BIOS as a possible solution but does anyone know of any alternatives to buying more LB boards? It’s not the cost necessarily that I’m worried about, more that I’m running out of USB ports on my PC :lol:

Thanks!

If usb's are your biggest concern get 1 or 2 of this product.

https://atolla.us/products/7-ports-powered-usb-3-data-hub-splitter-207g

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

I have 4 BBI-64 Button Box Interface and they are a pain in the ass because all of then are named the same (Button Box Interface BBI-64) and DCS lost the binding every time I connect a new USB device, at the other hand I am using 3 teensy2 (for analog inputs) with MMJoy2 and no problem at all, DCS always detect it.

Sorry...

Yes you have to program sketches, and I also give them individual names which Windows recognizes and DCS ignores. The good news is you can rename them in DCS so your devices can be easily identified.

How do you rename the board in DCS?

I have 4 BBI-64 Button Box Interface and they are a pain in the ass because all of then are named the same (Button Box Interface BBI-64) and DCS lost the binding every time I connect a new USB device, at the other hand I am using 3 teensy2 (for analog inputs) with MMJoy2 and no problem at all, DCS always detect it.

You can rename the boards (or rather, you can increment the board numbers) using software on the site

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I only have two 64 boards and each has it's own ( ID ) number as do all three of my mfd's 1/2/3 have their own id # though they are named the same.

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

I only have two 64 boards and each has it's own ( ID ) number as do all three of my mfd's 1/2/3 have their own id # though they are named the same.

Correct. Each USB devide has a UUID associated. Once in a GREAT while the OS changes that UUID on a restart and I start expounding on a vocabulary only a sailor should know when I have to re-configure the controller. Or switch the LDDI and RDDI.

Of course every time there's an update I have to fix the (BORKEN! DO YOU HEAR ME, ED? BORKEN!) defaults.lua and re-assign the fuel dump and launch bar switches.

Did you try these?

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=5

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 1 year later...

what do you folks like for potentiometers? With the numerous dials and sliders in an aircraftfor lights, I need to build something. Since radio shack closed, I have no easy access to hardware and have to order online. What electrical specifications are required? Which pots have the smoothest and damped feel? 

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

On 3/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, obious said:

Hi All,

Thanks!

HI.

I haven't read all the comments, but that is what I did to buid my own home cockpit.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/97434-an-arduino-usb-hid-controller-composite-usb-controller

With one of them you can go up tu 256 buttons plus 8 axis, imagine adding just one more...

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Apar said:

@Raisuli128 buttons on one teensy? how? and how does it compare to arduino?

That assumes you can do a matrix, which isn't always possible.  Most of my panels are a mix of multi-position switches with a matrix for anything momentary.  I do plan to look into using I2C to cut back on the teensys needed when I re-engineer the cockpit.

At the moment I think there are over 300 switches, and that needs to come back as well.  Don't use most of them flying, after all.  After a couple years I have a pretty good idea which switches get exercised in flight, and which do not.  This will make it much easier to set up aircraft specific panels (like the UFCs).

As for how it compares, they look like KB/Mouse/Joystick when I plug them in.  I can only get 6 axis on any one device (so far) though.  Need to test that again as well.  Go to the device in the control map, rename it to something reasonable, select the function, click the switch, done.

The encoders I use are something of a pain, though.  Sometimes one click on the encoder is three or four clicks on the sim.  I can probably fix that in code if I ever get energetic enough to do it.

Here's how: https://hackaday.com/2014/02/14/the-128-button-6-axis-17-slider-4-pov-hat-switch-joystick-controller/ which will take you here: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23681-Many-axis-joystick?p=41942&viewfull=1#post41942

You need to edit a bit of code to get the big massive joystick to work.  It's not hard, but it's also been so long I've forgotten all of it.  Really should document this next time I do it.

@Raisuli thank you for your explanation. I am about to fall into the diy controller rabbit hole and am pondering the different controller options: 1)Arduino 2)teensy 3)Adafruit feather.

I like the fact that teensy plays nicely w usb but sourcing a teensy has become a problem as most places are low/out of stock due to the chip shortage. Do you use a teensy 2? 3.2? 4.1? Is your available for perusal so I can see what I am about to get myself into?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

MOST of mine are 3.6 with an LC thrown in here and there when I just needed a boost.  When I was buying them I got extras, so apparently that's a good problem to have because I never thought about the chip shortage!  The Talldog breakouts are a must to get to all the pins; some of them are hidden.

I also have a 4.something and a genuine Arduino down in my collection somewhere, but I'll stick to the 3.6s and LCs for the rebuild.  When I get there.  Illuminated panels are kicking my butt.

What is it you'd like to peruse?  The current pit is a mock-up (funny how that happens) and it's depressingly messy behind the curtain, but I'll show you anything you need to see!

Take a parachute.  It's a bloody deep hole...  I'm a little OCD, and took it farther than I should have, but it was fun getting there.